1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My life has been changed forever

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Alexander69

So my life has recently been changed massively when I found out my grandmother is dying of cancer...... I've been very depressed lately and my mother hasn't been the same she's in shock still. ( it's my mothers mother who is dying) not my fathers. So i will be back in Toronto for a while I don't exactly know when I will be flying back it depends when my grandmother feels it's the right time and when she isn't stressed.

Has anyone else lost a family member to cancer? I'm just scared that she will suffer :frowning2:

2. Kat 5

My grandmother is a survivor of breast cancer. But no fatalities.

Usually it is somewhat painless.

3. AlamoCity

I'm sorry for what you're grandmother is going through.

If she's terminal, I would suggest you inquire about hospice care in lieu of conventional treatments. It is designed to increase the quality of life in the end stages. I've had great experiences with my grandmother's hospice team (Alzheimer's).

Again, sorry for what you're going through.

4. BornAnew

:frowning2: Really sorry to hear about this! I hope she has as less suffering as possible in this. I guess the thing to do is to just know more about what type of cancer it is & what is the best way to deal with the side effects of any treatment she may have. There are definitely ways to make the journey as comfortable as possible for them.

I hope you get to spend a lot of quality time with your grandma & family right now.
    Take care! (*hug*)

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends on what kind of cancer it is. Cancers like breast cancer seem to have more survivors than people, with, say, lung cancer. Of which my grandmother died of (althought her autopsy says "natural causes").

6. Alexander69

She has advanced colon cancer that's all I have been told I also know it is in her bones :frowning2:

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry to hear your news. It pains me to say that I have lost a grandmother, my mum and younger sister to different forms of cancer. It is a shock to hear that someone you love has terminal cancer and numbs you and weighs very heavily on your mind. It's a b***ard of a thing that has cast a very heavy hand on my life, so I have some idea of what you must be experiencing.

With good palliative care and end of life support suffering can be greatly relieved. Hospice care is excellent and can reduce stress for all concerned in the final weeks and days. If it's not already been considered, do mention that to your mother.

If you need someone to talk to or bounce your feelings off, I'm here. (*hug*)

8. Alexander69

I just don't understand cancer I've been researching it and it's so complex it's so fucking ridiculous!!!!! WTF is this bastard disease why does it happen?! Like why can't they figure out how to stop it STOP looking for a cure and look at how to stop it in the first place how to shut it off when it start cancers are all different and I get that but they have one thing in common and that is that it spreads! SO find away to prevent it rather than cure it

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2014 at 12:43 AM ----------

I'm so sorry for you losses my god :frowning2: I don't know how you deal with this no one ever on record in my family till now has had cancer and it's so stressful. I've just had blood work done I'm waiting my results I've been feeling very weak and I'm scared for MY results I don't understand how you can deal hearing that you have cancer.... To know that you will die.... How can you prepare for that?! How can you cope knowing your body is basically killing itself and you can't do anything to stop it HOW the fuck does that happen? I can't understand this killing disease :frowning2: ive known people who have died from it but never family it's extremely different when it's your own family.

9. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sorry about your grandmother :frowning2: my aunt died of lung cancer three years ago. She didn't suffer but she was exhausted in the last few months she was alive. It's the same usually for most people with cancer.

10. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it's scary. I've been there whith friends. Lucky I was too young to remember my grandad. Hopefully she won't suffer to much. If you need to talk message me :-D

11. Alexander69

Thank you everyone :slight_smile: <3

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just know that everything you are thinking and everything you are feeling is totally "normal". I know that sounds stupid, cos there is nothing that feels normal about all the crap that goes with cancer.. the questions you ask yourself - why? why? why?, the thoughts that circle round and round in your mind, the worries, the anxieties, the sleepless nights, the waiting for calls/texts.. but yes, all of this is "normal" when you are confronted with cancer, apparently.

I've had tests because of my family history, but they came back negative. I've just been told to live a healthy lifestyle (which I try to do).

The only way I found to deal with this is to lean on people you love and care about and let them lean on you too. If support is available, take it with both hands and never, ever be afraid to say how you feel. I swore a hell of a lot and the subject still provokes me to swear more than anything else. I loathe cancer!

Around the person who's dying, just try to be (that word again) normal. It's really hard cos you know they are thinking the same as you, but many times multiplied, but if you try to keep things normal, cancer doesn't become the monster in the room.

It hurts like hell, I know. Don't bottle anything up.

13. Cass

im so sorry
    my boyfriend lost his uncle to cancer and it was tough on him. my thoughts and prayers for you

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's diagnosis. Three years ago I lost my father to leukemia. I didn't have much of a relationship with him so I didn't know he was sick until I learned of his death. I was however very close to my late maternal grandmother, I know how you feel.

Letting go of a loved one is a life-lesson we must all learn, eventually. You have a chance now to make her last days, and your own relationship with her, as beautiful as possible. This is not a chance I had with my own father.

There's a tremendous honesty that comes with knowing that the end is coming, make the most of your coming days with her and try to see these as an opportunity to express and celebrate your love as fully as possible.

15. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My grandfather died of cancer. I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother.