1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

French or Dutch?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FireSmoke, Apr 23, 2014.

?

French or Dutch?

1. French

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. Dutch

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  1. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Hi ladies and gentlemen :slight_smile:roflmao:slight_smile:.

I'm bored. So, I want to post a new thread! :icon_bigg

I'm learning english but I need another language to learn (I'm weird o_o) and I would your point of view.

I was studying dutch but I'm thinking that french is more useful (and more simple, it's nearly similar to italian). But I like more dutch than french.

What do I study, then? French or Dutch?

2. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    French is fun :slight_smile:
    Its a bit weird at times but then again which language isnt :slight_smile:
    dunno anything about Dutch

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Depends were you would rather go.:grin:

Why not german?:roflmao:

4. olides84

Well, those happen to be the two main languages here in this country. The question is do you want to learn a language because it's more interesting to you, or more useful to you? French is definitely more useful worldwide, and here too. You speak English, and the simple fact is that native-Dutch speakers in Belgium (and Holland) typically know English pretty well and are used to using it with any non-Dutch speaker--like me!. You can't say the same thing for native-French speakers.

5. literalmerida

French because I am familiar with the langue and like to insult people in a really loving way. sometimes i call people jackasses in french and then add "mi amore" and they think im being nice LMAO

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I want to learn french because it's more simple and because if one day I would go to Canada, it will be more simple to have the visa permit over there.

But if I would go to Netherlands one day? Is it better to know english and french or english and dutch?

And if I don't study french, going to Canada become harder.

Hamletic dilemma o_o

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are learning only for fun; Dutch. If you are learning for work; French -- unless you work where the Dutch language is more popular than the French language!? That would be surprising. French is quite common.

A love for the Dutch language might keep you determined to learn it. However, if I were you; I would learn French, unless I hated it. You should be okay with English in the Netherlands! You should read this...
    English in the Netherlands

8. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I would say french then:grin:
    I agree with Lawrence!

9. olides84

Well, in the Netherlands, English is fine. You don't need to speak Dutch. Sure it's nice to speak the local language, but there are many, many, many people living there that don't speak it and communicate with everyone in English with few problems. And you are from Italy so you don't need to worry about language to get a work visa or anything like that...

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I decided! I study french! :grin: Thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:

11. timo

I might be slightly biased in this :lol: But learning French is probably more useful (but in that case I think German would be even better).

I noticed this when I visited Brussels last Friday. It was a mix of native-Dutch and native-French speakers, but the French speaking people didn't speak a single word of English (or maybe just refused to do so). It was the only point in my life where I wished I paid more attention in French class... :grin:

Pretty much everyone over here speaks English. In fact, I think it's nearly impossible to find anyone <30 who doesn't speak at least a bit of English.

And only now, after composing this, I noticed the last post saying you already decided. Ah well. :grin:

12. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    French all the way :slight_smile:

Although I love Dutch too, mais rien n'est comme le français :wink:

13. Colours

French is probably the better option here. :slight_smile: It's bigger, and Dutch is not a very pretty language if you ask me. English will get you anywhere around these parts, too.

14. Ashen

I've been told that actually, many people from France (dunno about canada) Know an amount of english, not fluently. But a lot of people DO know how to talk to you and such.

That being said, I like French, I've learned it myself. So I'd suggest it, also apparently French is a very good starting language, in case you ever decide to learn any other latin based languages. Not because it's necessarily easier (which is debatable), but because you'll be able to get the accents in Spanish and Italian correct because in French you don't pronounce half the word in the first place! xD

15. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I personally love the French language, and it is often pretty simple for English speakers to pick up on as it shares many cognates with the English language.

16. Harve

Yeah this doesn't surprise me. French is a really useful language to know because France is a well-visited country, and there hundreds of millions of speakers, many of whom don't speak English at all/very well. You can't really say the same about Dutch, but if it interests you then go for it.

Do folk in Brussels not tend to speak both French and Dutch considering it's a bilingual city? How to do the Flemish and Wallons even communicate with other, if at all? I'm only asking because I'm moving there soon, and I've realised that there are big gaps in my Belgium knowledge. :grin:

17. timo

I heard people who spoke both Dutch and French but I also went to a concert (Blood Red Shoes whooo) and the venue staff didn't get any of my Dutch, they spoke French only. Weird. But I've only been there for a day and a half so I'm probably completely wrong and it might be best if I stop talking now.

Also - if in Belgium, make sure to visit Antwerp. It's only a 40min drive from Brussels and some parts of it are lovely.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Easy one. French. It is used in France, Canada, South America (one country I can think of), Africa, the Middle East among some Lebanese, and even in a few Asian countries with a French presence in the past.

19. tscott

Mais, oui, francaise!!!! There's wonderful literature, it's precise, aurally pleasing, the language of love and diplomacy, spoken more places, and all the Dutch speak English, so why bother with Dutch. Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but to me the choice is obvious.

20. Joelouis

I can just about order a cheese baguette in French and that's about it.

Surely in order to speak Dutch you just put an H after every S?

Joking aside, I also wish I paid more attention in my French lessons at school.
    The Dutch are my favourite Europeans. Always nice, especially to the Brits.