1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NYC Recommend me places to visit!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gravity Defyer, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Gravity Defyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there!

I am traveling to NYC on June and I really wanted to visit nice places and attend to great events.

NYC is such an enormous city I feel like I need help to catch up on everything that's nice there.

I have already decided I'm watching Matilda The Musical and visiting MoMA, Metropolitan Art Museum and Natural History Museum.

Anyway I'm looking for places that include, combine or are related to (But not exclusively):

-Visual Art
    -Videogames
    -Gaymers
    -LGBT friendly places
    -Musicals
    -Disney!
    -Japanese Stuff (Heard of some Maid Cafés!)
    -Books
    -Traditional NYC food
    -A nice street to walk on, with trees, stoops and so on.

Oh and I'm not really into the clubbing scene so I wouldn't like to attend one. A Gay Café would suit me better.

Thanks everyone! :icon_bigg

2. Hiems

You could visit Manhattan's Chinatown. There are many restaurants, bakeries, and places to shop in there. I would try the peking duck if you can because it's so good :grin:

There's also Central Park. I loved walking around there.

Visiting the Statue of Liberty was fun. But you have to go on a ferry to get there.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I highly recommend a walk in Central Park...it's really amazing, especially in how huge it is, and also even hilly in parts, with lakes, and arches and lots of lush gardens.

As for bookstores: these seem to be fleeing Manhattan, due to high rent...probably Brooklyn is a better place to look, though it's been a while since I've been. One problem with NYC is that many areas have become so pricey, it's driven a lot of the smaller, more interesting shops out.

The restaurant scene is thriving, and at all price levels the competition seems to keep prices at a pretty good value. I love eating out in NYC...you can spend as little or as much as you like, and the variety is amazing. Chinatown is lots of fun!

As for the LGBT scene...huh, that's hard to say. I know, historically, it was centered around Christopher Street/Greenwich Village...though I'm not sure what remains. Again, I think high rent has pushed a lot of things like this out, at least in Manhattan.

But it's still a very fun place...just getting more expensive/filled with chain stores and stuff like that...not as unique/gritty/alternative as it was in the past.

4. Gravity Defyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh I see, thanks! I'll most certainly go to Central Park and Chinatown!

What about Marie's Crisis? Would you recommend going there? It seems to have the Gay and Musicals aspects I like.

5. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ehh i always feel that manhattan is the only damn place anyone would want to go when they visit nyc

if you can, i think Avenue Q(broadway) is still around so you might like it, the village(Greenwich Village) and central park might be a nice sight to see. manhattan is extremely pricey

so if you want to go on a little adventure, you can always visit Queens. Jackson Heights is next to Greenwich Village of being the largest LGBT neighborhoods. they got a nightclub and a couple of gay bars you can go to around the night time. you might even bump into cross dressers every often (some not too well, some are) 74th Street is a great place to start in jackson heights, they got halal food that are awesome. this is one of the most diverse towns in the entire world, so don't miss it! they got the world fair and it's history (practically flushing meadow park), our own chi town, forest hills and it's greeny neighborhoods, Jamaica and it's cheap knockoff stores and garbage polluted, Sunnyside, Long Island City, it's an interesting sight, even the train ride there is pretty cool.

Brooklyn is also another place if you like a lot of art and bohemian themes kind of thing. it's a great vibe, depending on which part you visit. Staten Island is hard to get around if you don't have a car, but since the ferry to get there is free, it's pretty much a nice scenic route to see at night, you see both new jersey and new york. they got pretty good stuff there as well. if you watch a lot of tv, you might recognize a few faces and places that are around there

Bronx, i'd probably stay away from haha.

6. ninerw

I would definitely check out the High Line, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Seriously, my favorite places to go in New York come from just walking around the city. Manhattan does get most of the attention, but Queens and Brooklyn have some great places to check out. Astoria in Queens and Brooklyn Heights in Brooklyn are great neighborhoods to check out. It all depends on how long you are here. There is so much to do that you can stretch yourself thin!

7. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Go to the Chelsea Market. It has incredible food.

8. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

NYC is one of those cities that you need to visit multiple times to get the full experience, some top priority places I would recommend:

-Rockefeller Plaza for the amazing shops
    -Nintendo Store if you're a bit of a nerd :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    -Boat Trip to at least see the Statue of Liberty if not go to Ellis Island/ climb the Statue
    -See a show from broadway
    -Buy stuff from street vendors
    -Time Square is simple amazing, especially at night
    -Wall Street is so much fun to go to
    -Any of NYC's amazing bridges if you are into architecture

9. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd recommend Central Park too! Funny how NYC is seen as the greatest city but my favourite thing there was the park! So beautiful and so many pictures have been filmed there so kinda iconic too :slight_smile:

I loved walking around Greenwich Village, that is very green area with lots of little shops and bakerys to visit. Gay friendly too! I found this list of must see lgbt landmarks in NYC. Gotta test those next time Im going :slight_smile:

Anyway, the best thing in New York was a cruise I went to. A ferry went around Manhattan (it was 2 or 3 hours) and we saw the whole island from every point of view! And it was nice to sit down, after all the walking there!