1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT health and money

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you feel that LGBT people are more likely to suffer health problems than straight people? Perhaps, due to increased stress from fear of coming out or prejudice. Or even that LGBT are less likely to seek medical help due to fears of being judged and discriminated against.

Do you think this has the potential to have a knock on effect on LGBT economic equality, causing issues with say employment or health insurance (although here in UK taxes pay for health care, I'm thinking here about my US friends). Also, do you think this may result in LGBT people being less likely to travel internationally.

What are your thoughts on the issue?

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know for me, it's caused a lot of stress, and there's certainly been a much greater amount of mental health care costs. When I was younger (18-15) in Michigan, I'd just avoid doctors, thinking they would judge me, here, it doesn't seem as bad, but for many years, I felt they looked down on me for being gay.

But even though I've been out and have a partner, there has been a definite toll I've paid, emotionally, and in ways I hadn't expected.

3. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanted to get tested for HIV, I have no symptoms, just to avoid paranoia everytime I feel a bit sick after unprotected penetration once.
    I wouldn't go to a doctor in my country, I felt awkward and that I'd be judged - I know it's stupid of me, but here in the UK I don't mind.

So yes it depends on the country, especially in really anti-gay countries a person's homosexuality directly affects their access to medical care and equal job opportunities.
    I think this is obvious from the spread of the HIV virus exclusively amongst the gay community during the 70's - 80's.