1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone ever feel they don't "belong" in the world?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I feel this way all the time, I am a gay person which means that the majority of humanity thinks I am some awful sinner, I can't have kids, marry yet (unless I move country), walk down certain streets with my boyfriend without getting attacked etc.

Religions go on and on about God's will, but surely an omnipotent being would make the world work better socially ? What about IVF without medicine I would never exist, and yet people say that life is a result of God ? Mine isn''t, I am a result of a load of medical professionals in a lab.

Sometimes I think the world would be better off without me inside of it, its like I don't belong in it.

2. Hexagon

Yeah, I often feel like I would do better on another planet.

But just because you feel like you don't belong doesn't mean the world would be better without you. In fact, your presence in it affects changes for the better. Small changes, but not insignificant ones.

3. CaptainClyde

CaptainClyde Guest

Jesus didn't teach hatred of people.

4. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

:smilewave

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

^This. The people who surround you are wrong, not you.

6. Cass

truth. Jesus taught love, He taught that we all are sinners and we ALL are forgiven.

to answer the OP, i dont feel like i belong, but most times I am glad because this world is so screwed up and mean, i dont WANT to belong to it.

7. Yosia

Lets all of us who dont belong find a new world, it would be soo much better!! ^o^

8. MedicChic

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sometimes...especially as a women who is defying the " standard role of women" I am at the age where most of my friends have kids, are happily married and every time I visit they ask me...don't you want all this. Part of me thinks coming out would make my life more visible and they would stop asking...other times I wonder if my " friends" who stick with me...damn the politics of life sometimes.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only kinda sorta vaguely. As in "there was no Lex-sized void in the world for me to fill". But that posits people as jigsaw puzzle pieces that fit in one "proper" spot exactly so. And that's just not how the world works.

You ever go to the beach? And lie in the sand, and start pulling the sand all around you, until you're sort of buried? It's more like that. When you first show up somewhere, it's like you're an outsider. You don't "belong". But as you start interacting with people, you start surrounding yourself with like-minded people and accepting people. And like sand, they start filling in the spaces around you. And when you're done, it looks like you simply filled in a you-shaped void in the sand.

Lex

10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope,

I understand both the how and why I'm here and my place in society and the world.

I therefore have no issues with belonging...

Happy days :slight_smile:

11. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. So beautiful and true.

12. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

No. I recognize that I haven't found "my world" yet. One day I will have a group of IRL gay friends. For now, this forum is filling that void.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed, that was pretty amazing.

I have always felt different, but not so much that I don't belong here. Only by discovering new worlds in fiction did I begin to relate to other places.

14. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I'd go to the satellite of my origins: the Moon

15. Lorn

I have been feeling that way lately, yes. When I was growing up I told myself a million and one reasons for why I felt the way I did. When gendered play started in childhood, I had been "messed up" by not sticking to the one for my sex. I'd read too much fiction. I'd played too many video games. I didn't like the gender role assigned to my sex and would feel better once I was comfortable defying it (I didn't). I had hangups about intimacy (I haven't for a very long time) and my body (I feel okay about it now) which is why I sometimes didn't want to have a vagina or breasts during the act. Etc.

Now that I'm trying to learn to be myself, I find that there's next to no information available online for gender fluidity. It's like I don't exist.

There's so much more to what we do than what others currently don't accept. We're also family members, friends, community members, artists, musicians, technicians, chefs, teachers, and we make the world turn, too. We do as much as anyone else.

#15 Lorn, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  16. BelleFromHell

17. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

For a long time, yeah. Gotten a lot better now that I'm coming out and finally out of the house.

Anyone who thinks they're a weirdo? Go out and ride the bus for a change. That'll put things in perspective.

I dunno. I just feel like a guy now. A little weird (personality wise) and missing pieces but other people? Yeah, they're pretty weird. And as soon as you realize how weird everyone else can be, just that much easier to live and let live.

I definitely felt like this before I came out. Like I was some kinda alien or something.

18. Lorn

A helpful illustration of the bus:

19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Basically. :lol: Add in homeless lady talking to herself, high school student singing loudly along to Mp3 and loads of freaking children playing around on seats and you're good to go.

20. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    *raises hand*