1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploitation.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nikinja, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Nikinja

Exploitation. People like to exploit LGB and T people, and even LGBTness, for comedic derision. Do you agree? Any thoughts?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes and no. People who can't laugh at themselves are not preserving their dignity; they're presenting an over-inflated facade that just makes them look pretentious.

However, comedy about whatever needs not include derision. Things can be called out as funny without cruelty. Take the stereotype of a gay guy who loves fashion. I've seen the joke where somebody says homo is sin and he responds with "corduroy skirts are a sin." It blatantly uses the stereotype, but also allows us to agree with and respect the person being "made fun of." Everybody wins, except I suppose the person doing the insulting in the first place. :slight_smile:

source pic

3. Nikinja

Got it. I feel kinda silly starting this thread actually. I think we should be able to laugh at ourselves. I think that I need to find a way to express my gender. Can we change the topic of this thread? :grin: