1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I Become Heterophobic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by YuriBunny, Apr 24, 2014.

1. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And I don't mean heterophobic as in 'hateful towards straight people' but more like as in 'afraid of anything heterosexual'. For some reason, I've recently been seriously frightened by straight relationships. In a seemingly hetero-dominated world, it's impossible to avoid them. Straight romance stuff is on basically every TV channel, girls at school talk about what boys they think are cute, and almost every novel at the library has something heterosexual in it, so I'm afraid to read them. I am so seriously scared of straight relationships that I feel like crying when I see straight couples. :tears: What's wrong with me!?

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I kinda feel you. I don't want to read books with hetero-couples. Or in movies I don't like to see them. I don't know why. I like the people...but separated as friends.
    I was sooo glad I found a book with two badass women having kind of a romantic relationship:slight_smile:

3. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think straight couples are cute. As cute as gay couples. As cute as all couples.

---------- Post added 24th Apr 2014 at 11:47 PM ----------

But I am a bit heterophobic in the aspect of HATING the average straight guy behaviour, how they act so manly when they obviously aren't, treating girls and gays and lesbians and everyone like shit, as if they were in a competition of who looks most like a gorilla, but that's not because they're straight - I'm pretty sure I'd hate any person acting like this whatever their sexual preferences.

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I agree!!!
    I hate it when these men used to play 'the gentleman'.
    If a woman or girl does that..no problem.

5. LiquidSwords

I don't think it's fair to call that average straight guy behaviour; it's actually a relatively small proportion of people who act 'macho' like this I find. They are the worst though I agree.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mean you're scared of institutions that declare you a lesser person? That's perfectly fine and just a good method of self-defence.

Straight people, especially straight men, can be overwhelmingly defensive of their heterosexuality and masculinity, and will defend gender roles to the point where they'll actively harm us. I admit that I can't stand heterosexual relationships in literature and film (when both are cis), because I've seen it so many times before and I'm bored/emotionally exhausted with only cis-het couples being given the time.

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2014 at 09:08 AM ----------

But it's somewhat a majority who do absolutely nothing to prevent them being horrible, and the majority who are snidely heterosexist and hold their sexuality up as superior. Always in subtle, almost unprovable ways.

7. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    This.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, Live and let live and love.

I'm sick of the hate. That's what makes us hide.

9. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally agree with this, although I wouldn't say it's average straight guy behavior, but I've experienced it from some straight guys. The more frustrating thing to me is some of the straight girls that encourage and enable this behavior.

I don't have a problem with straight people romance stories in literature, tv, and film but wish that there was more same sex relationships in fiction.

#10 sldanlm, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. LiquidSwords

Well, given that the type of people we're talking about tend to occupy alpha male type roles in social situations it's very possible, actually I pretty much know this to be true, that the silent majority are actually disapproving of this sort of behaviour but intimidated to challenge. Or at least they just don't want the fuss; it's a lot easier to just surround yourself with friends who aren't twats and ignore the #lad #bro dickheads.

So much this. If the guys you hang around with regularly refer to ordinary girls as sluts then get some new guy friends and then get a little bit of respect for yourself.

12. Joelouis

Agreed.
    If they're happy then the best of luck to them.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm like this too. I don't hate straight people, but I despise fictional straight pairings for the most part. Unless they're extremely non-heteronormative, I can't stand to look at them.

I'm heterophobic in the extent that I'm phobic of heterosexual relationships. Viewing them on TV, especially if It's sexual can cause me a severe panic attack to the point of feeling out of control of my body.

So I get you.

The thing is that being "phobic of heterosexual relationships" does NOT make you a bad person. I also would defend anyone who is literally phobic of homosexual ones. Someone can't help their phobias anymore than someone can help their sexualities.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Carpe noctem hit the nail on the head. I actually really like seeing straight guys show their sensitive sides when they're with their girlfriends/wives. I think that's why I sometimes mistake them for being gay!

15. Jethro702

(&&&)(*hug*):thumbsup:

16. BelleFromHell

Yeah, I'm a total hetrophobe.

I don't hate hetrosexual people (well, I'd be lying if I say I don't hate some of them), but I can't stand looking at hetrosexual couples.

I make a few exceptions, but for the most part, they make me feel very uncomfortable. Their presence metaphorically gives me the finger.

It's like they're saying: "We can be as slutty as we want and society still loves us! You can't even kiss another girl on the cheek or hold hands with her without being called a whore or a stupid, ugly dyke! HA!"

It seems rather fitting that my avatar is Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist. Jealousy is my weakness.

17. LiquidSwords

Two lovers entwined pass me by
    And heaven knows I'm miserable now

Yeah tbh I hate all couples, out of jealousy. Maybe straight couples especially because they're allowed to hold hands and kiss in public without drawing attention to themselves, but that's not really their fault I don't resent them that.

I really really really need a bf.

18. Agaetis Byrjun

I find hetero romance scenes in movies and TV kind of off-putting. Like, annoying and slightly disgusting, and it always makes me like the characters slightly less for putting themselves through this. Lately I've been trying to remind myself, as I see these scenes, that if it were two women or two men, I wouldn't mind, I wouldn't look at it like it's vaguely demeaning to each other. But I was never into romances when I was younger either.

19. HappyEndings

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm a straight person and I'd like to say I don't hate anyone but I get sick of ANY PDA's. I don't want to see anyone tonguing it in a restaurant or groping each other in the grocery store. I have kids. Gay OR straight I don't want my kids seeing all that. I think holding hands and a peck on the cheek is fine. I'm fine with that. The rest belongs at home. Honestly, it makes me nauseated to see a hetero couple going at it in a restaurant. I'm happy for anyone who finds a mate. Gay or straight. Just use some discretion!

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The idea of a man and a woman in bed disgust me. I'm 100% heterophobic