1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think abortion should be legal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MyLittleWorld, Apr 25, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is your opinion on choice to get one?

2. Querying

Uh, I'm pretty sure it is legal, so...

But yes, I'm pro-choice. If people are forced/expected to keep the baby, either the baby will end up being raised by an underprivileged mom that will NEVER have the chance to go anywhere, graduate, etc, or be put into the foster system, where they'll spend their childhoods being bounced around from person to person.

Besides that, IDK if this is a big thing, but the fetus isn't self-aware, as far as I know. It doesn't have a life of experiences, and if it grew up to have one, it might always know that it was the reason their mother had spent her entire life living in squalor.

3. Cass

I'm pro life with medical exceptions
    I highly disagree with abortion as a means of birth control, but at times it's necessary. It should be regulated, but not abolished completly.
    I recently posted about this topic myself actually

I believe a fetus is a person, but so is the mother, so they both need rights.

4. DMark69

I am actually very conservative on most issues. That doesn't mean I'm Republican though since I don't agree with them 100% either. I am gay, and I am on the board of directors of an organization fighting for LGBT rights.
    Having said all of that, abortion is way down on my list of priorities. If I were the father (impossible since I am married to a man), I would express my thoughts that we should keep the child, however the women would get final say in my opinion. Abortion is so far down on my list it would most likely never sway my vote one way or another in voting for someone. There are much more important views in my opinion. The top 3 on my list are supporting the 2nd ammendment, legalizing same sex marriage in all 50 states, and Employment non-discrimination for LGBT people.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm pro choice, I don't think it's right for the state, special interest groups, religious organizations or people to be taking decisions about what women can and can't do with their bodies out of their hands. Their body, their life, their call.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it should be legal, safe and infrequent.

7. Aquilo

Yes, but children/teens should get good sexual education (no 'we don't talk about sex stuff, stay abstinent until your married' nonsense) and be made aware of the importance of safe sex, to avoid it as much as possible.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course, and anyone who opposes it doesn't deserve to be heard.

It must be legal, obtainable, and safe, otherwise pregnant people will go to great lengths for illegal and unsafe abortions with consequences deemed by people largely without uteruses.

9. Foster

As stated, I'm in the middle. I think in cases of rape or if the mother's life is in danger, it should be allowed. However, if someone just doesn't want a kid, they need to put a fucking condom on their boyfriend and take the pill.

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2014 at 07:27 AM ----------

Anyone who apposes it doesn't deserve to be heard? Wow, you must be fun at parties....

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I probably am more fun than a judgemental moral puritan who tells others that they deserve to be punished because mistakes were made.

If it's not your body, it's not your choice.

11. Foster

You do realize that if it became illegal or regulated, it wouldn't be anyone's choice but the government's. And call me what you will, but it's immature to refuse to acknowledge everyone's right to their personal views (whether you agree with them or not). Grow up.

12. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I think it should. For me the argument is not if it should be legal, but at what point should it be illegal to terminate a pregnancy. In other words, at what point is life viable and sustainable.

In the UK we determine 24 weeks as the final point for termination of pregnancy. I think that's about right now, but I'd like to see a bi-annual review of this as scientific advancement increases the likelihood of viability at earlier term.

13. Aquilo

Free speech also means the freedom to not listen to every opinion and doesn't shield opinions from criticism. Don't get too personal guys, if you really want this debate. ; )

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2014 at 02:53 PM ----------

Agreed. Here's also the reason abortion debates are generally pointless. The pro-abortion side doesn't see the embryo as fully human and is bewildered by the insistence and of the anti-abortion side to immorally regulate their lives and conform to their beliefs. Meanwhile the anti-abortion side thinks that embryo's are already fully human when it's just one fertilized cell and thinks that the pro-abortion side is immoral for their insistence to 'murder' human life.

#13 Aquilo, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  14. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It definitely should be legal. Querying already said everything I was going to say :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. I hold a very libertarian view on abortion. It's none of anybody's business, and it's certainly none of the government's business as well.

Keep abortion safe, legal, and rare. The availability of cheap but effective birth control will dramatically reduce the demand for abortions; statistics have proved this.

16. Agaetis Byrjun

Of course it should be legal. Why is this even in question?

17. Nikky DoUrden

The woman's own choice

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    100% pro-choice. Contrary to popular conservative belief, Roe V. Wade wasn't when women started having abortions, it was when women stopped dying from abortions in America.

19. Joelouis

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Republican logic 101: punish women who have sex with a child they don't want and can't take care of, and then deny them food stamps and affordable health care.

Anyway, if men could get pregnant, there'd be no abortion debate. It'd be just as common and accepted as a part of life as using the bathroom.