1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Military Spending and Canada

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

This is just a thought that crossed my mind. If the US is to cut military spending at what point would Canada have to raise military spending? I feel Canada is in a very fragile spot, especially in our far north where so few live. What if Canada were left to defend itself against Russia and others who want out resources?

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm imagining that there would have to be a very large political upheaval for Russia to start an invasion into Canada....honestly, you're talking world war level there, lol.

3. apostrophied

Thanks, Browncoat. Technokid, you had me scared. XD

4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Putin is an idiot and spends his time sucking the church's dick. The US is too paranoid to cut spending, our military currently takes up 70-80% of our yearly budget.

The Americas are across the ocean from the rest of the world, attacking them would be difficult and I wouldn't be surprised if the US has outfitted predator drones to take out small military vessels.

5. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What about the Commonwealth of Nations?

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to cut our Military spending here in the US by 50-75%...it eats up so much of our resources. We spend way, way too much.

And it's corrupt...all the shady, no-bid contracts, shadier 'private security firms', and on and on. The ties to Halliburton, oil, pipelines, Big $$$$$$$.

While more and more of our people fall into poverty, the middle class declines, and our standard of living continues to fall, we simply can't afford to be playing tanks like we do.

#6 HuskyPup, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In addition America's military budget surpasses that of the next ten countries combined....I think they'll be all right with a few cuts. :lol:

Exactly. Beat me to it.

8. AlamoCity

I doubt the US would ever cut military spending to Canada's level, even on a per capita basis.

And frankly, if it came to resources, don't you think the United States would call "dibs" before Russia? :lol:

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That always amazes me...

What was it that Eisenhower warned us about???

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military–industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted."

Side note:

Canada now has a higher standard of living than the US, and a wealthier middle class, a pattern that has been ongoing. Obviously, many factors fuel this, but our bloated military doesn't help.

10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha ha, yeah, not happening even though the United States should cut its defense budget in half.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I whole-heartedly agree with said statement.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Indeed! *focuses fiendish corporate swine eyes on Canada's oil fields*

And honestly, if Russia ever steps foot in the West, it won't be Canada, and you'll have to feel sorry for those of us stuck to your south - because it'll take the US all of ten seconds to send every one of their troops and draft a large portion of the country in the process.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The members aren't usually military allies; that's confirmed in separate agreements. For example, India and Pakistan go to war regularly, but are both Commonwealth nations.

If the US reduces military spending, Canda won't really need to increase its own. In any case, I doubt that Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, a reduced US and maybe China wouldn't be able to prevent Russian dominance of the Pacific. Russia may be a big bully capable of a lot, but Russia wouldn't be able to conquer Canada without massive backlash from Canada's allies all over the world. Ukraine is one thing, but Canada would be so much more of a challenge, both militarily and diplomatically.

14. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I see. I've been learning more about the CN lately. I hadn't realised that there were as many members as there are. I had thought of it as what turns out to be the Commonwealth Realms, in addition to several small island nations throughout the world.

15. aldine

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think Russia has any big interest anywhere away from its historical sphere of influence. It would be unimaginable that they ever invade Canada if not in a declared war scenario. But again, a declared war between Russia and any USA strong ally would be nuclear apocalypse (I assume Russia and the USA will never get rid of their nuclear arsenal) and I think (and hope) even world leaders are not stupid enough to push the situation to that point.