1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The first time you were openly gay in public

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Do you remember the first time you were openly gay in public? Have you ever done it?

I've only once been openly gay in public so that strangers around me might have realised. It was about a month ago when I went to Plymouth Pride fair with my LGBT youth group. I wasn't particularly gay looking, but we were in a group of about 8 gay peeps and we were all just messing around all the way there and back. Some of us were making loud jokes about our gayness and waving rainbow merchandise, so I guess it might have been pretty obvious. On the train back, I suddenly realised that all the other people in my compartment must realise I was gay because of the people I was with... it was a strange moment. Almost emotional.

How about you chicks?

2. jony8472

First time I was openly gay?
    I don't know if I've ever been openly gay? However, you will usually find me running madly around women's shoes or underwear grabbing things for my sister, and hitting her for making bad decisions=P

So that may be a slight give away but I've never done anything openly gay.

3. pirateninja

I've always been. Maybe not "gay-acting" but certainly very masculine. Even when I was in denial. All my friends and my mother had guessed wayyyy before I actually told them, simply because I acted very masculine and didn't like boys.

But as for actually being GAY.... hmmm... I do it all the time now. After I told my friends I started acting REALLY gay. Like talking aboot gay things in a loud voice in public or singing "I'm here! I'm queer!" Luckily they don't mind if we get weird stares :grin:

Although I act gayest when I'm with my LGBT youth group. When you're with a group of gay people the conversations can get very amusingly flamboyant :grin:

4. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Like so everyone around me would know? Atlanta Gay Pride of course, lol.

But situations where just people in my immediate area would know...making a speech about gay rights in government class, talking about gay topics with my lesbian co-worker in front of customers, and parties.

5. Kimi

I am not that obvious gay guy so it wasn't like I was acting straight or hiding.

Hmmmm...let's see...it must be when I was volunteering at Tokyo Pride Parade:slight_smile:
    It was kind of awkward really:lol:

6. Phixit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well apart from the obvious like:
    The way I dress
    The way I act,
    Gay clubs (where everyone is gay in public)

Mine would have to be when I was with my first boyfriend at the train station
    (We lived in different ends of the county short 15 min ride)
    When we first met we hugged and kissed each other on the cheek (to the discussed of some woman with a child I might add)…

That was 1 thing but when we’d finished our “day date” we were waiting for my train it finally came and we ended up full blown kissing right on the platform..
    Everyone on the platform and on the train was looking, like it was some kind of show or something but we didn’t care!!

ahhh good times x

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably the Pride March early this year. You should have seen me. Rainbow scarf in my hair, rainbow necklace, rainbow ring, rainbow wristband, rainbow ribbons tied around my walking stick, rainbow bow hair clips (clipped onto my shirt because I had the scarf in my hair). It was awesome.

8. Trumpetplyer23

A few times, actually.

The first was when I started wearing my rainbow wristband and belt to school.

Second, is whenever I talk about a crush I have, I say 'he' or 'she' depending on that person's gender.

Third, cracking jokes about my sexuality with my friends. We're a pretty loud group so just about everyone hears them.

And, I don't know if this counts as in public, but I set my orientation on myspace to bi and I have "Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry as my profile song.

#8 Trumpetplyer23, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. byeee

The time was probably Glamour Day at Uni this year- I was one of the two guys that actually went to the parade- the other one being one of the organizers (Amnesty International). Some people actually said I looked really... fabulous, glamorous afterwards. It was cool :wink:)

10. rosiejuly3

Lets see... First time I acted kinda gayish was when my now gf was crying at this skating rink and I was like holding her and we were holding hands and then the kiss.. Now that my whole school knows that I am bi I am always talking about who I like and just acting more like myself :slight_smile:

11. partietraumatic

i guess the most obvious public times is when my bf and i are in the park. If its nice weather we just go and lie on the grass,and make out a bit lol. Actually we've never noticed any huge attention for it though,i guess we live in a pretty liberal city luckily

12. grapevine fires

I've kissed my ladyfriend on public transit. It was really weird, but kind of liberating.

Um.. I also, on my messenger bag, have a pin that makes it kind of obvious that I'm gay. I wear it to festivals, and hold hands with my ladyfriend while being there.

I also sometimes talk about [hot] girls loudly in public.

13. Right after I bought my gay pride shirt. I got it at Hot Topic and put it in my bag, and my (straight but supportive) friend bought a rainbow armband which she put on right away. So we were in Forever 21 and the dressing rooms were closed, but I really wanted to wear my shirt so I sort of slipped it on over my other shirt and then pulled the other one off. We were all walking around outside and these people walking by were like "Oh, it's the lesbians..." my heart was pounding so much but I was so excited!

And then there was dance, with the same gay pride shirt. Coming out to people in my level was bad enough, but I wore it to lunch (which all four levels eat together) and everybody saw it. I don't know if they were staring or it was just me... :icon_wink

I really want to wear it to my show tonight... I got in a debate about God and the origin of HIV the other day- it was veeeerry interesting. The poor Catholic girl... it was me (the Agnostics) and two Athiests against her. She didn't stand a chance.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hard to tell where the line is. I've worn gay pride jewelry in public. I've held hands with my boyfriends in public. I've talked about finding guys hot in public. I don't know specifically when the first "Lex is gay and everyone looking can see that" moment was.

Lex

15. InaRut

One time (although I'm not out) I was doing something called the, "Amazingly Walrus Patentend Gay Run." And this white trash hic in his big truck yelled out, "Fucking faggot."
    And lesbian friends were like, "LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOOLOLOOL"

It was pretty funny cause anything me+gay= Hilarious to them.

I tell you can no one run with there chest forward and their arms flailing and not be called gay anymore?

16. eclipse

eclipse Guest

Hmm... well if there was a point where the line was drawn and a passer-by would say "no doubt at all - he's gay," then it would have to be only last week actually. I was dropping off the guy I'm currently seeing at the train station and we kissed goodbye (quite passionately haha).

It didn't hit me until I had already left that this was quite an important moment for me.

17. -Michael-

I want a rainbow ring!!

They sound awesome.

I guess i was first openly gay in public when me and my friend were talking about it in the town centre and i saw people looking as i answered her questions casually but i got on with it.

:slight_smile:

What i really liked aswell is that we were just talking about 'gayness' in front of her younger sister as if it was nothing.

Like i always shelter he siblings from my things like smoking and sometimes drinking and when im talking about my sexuality.
    But she was like, well shes going to get to know about it someday...

:slight_smile:

18. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Heck, I haven't really been gay in private yet!

I don't know if I could ever be brave enough for gay public displays of affection though.

19. bluestlight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i guess the most gay thing i've done in public was this girl i like kissed me right in the middle of a bar (just a nice kiss, no major pda) and then we held hands later on. later on i wondered who all saw us since it's a pretty small town and you tend to see people you know wherever you go. i'm sure people did see us, but i just didn't care since i just liked being around her so much.

wow the sounds kind of cheesy.

20. musicgirl112233

I think the only time I have been openly gay in public was today when i wore a rainbow wristband, but I dont think that counts.