1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toronto?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CarUnderwater, Apr 26, 2014.

1. CarUnderwater

in or around?

post.

2. AAASAS

3. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The GTA, the far reaches, sort of.

4. Techno Kid

I'm in Ontario... 5 hours away..

Are there not many Toronto people on here or something??

5. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live around! GTA!! About an hour away...although I go to school in Toronto! :slight_smile:

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be there tomorrow for a stopover on my way to the US...

7. CarUnderwater

It doesn't seem like there's very many torontonians on this site.

granted i'm not on here very often to really make that assumption, but i did anyway. hence the post.

good crowd though.

8. robclem21

9. AAASAS

I don't think there are a lot of Torontians on the site because it's a very liberal city, and a lot of gay people don't have reason to be in the closet here, so they would've never stumbled across the site.

I sense a lack of Canadians in general, even when put into a proper ratio with other countries populations.

I'm from the fringe of Toronto, the rest of the GTA is all connected through concrete and it doesn't stop. Like you can't really tell when entering or leaving Vaughan, Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville, Richmond Hill, Markham, Oshawa....etc.

My town is actually divided from the GTA by countryside and farmland, so it feels less a part of Toronto than the rest of the GTA is. I actually feel weird saying I'm from the Toronto area considering there are less than 500 people in my immediate area(couple square km's). There is no transit, and about 80% of my town is farmland/wildlife. But for some reason our town got clumped into the GTA. Though you can see the Skyline of Toronto and Mississauga and Brampton from the top of this hill down the street. So it isn't too far, but it's far enough to make the culture, and mentality here a little bit different compared to the city. Homophobia, and racism are a bit more prevalent here; it's not typical racism though more I hate all immigrants regardless of who they are.

A lot of attitudes held in my town would not be tolerated in Toronto. One example is my boyfriend who basically experienced very little homophobia growing up(I didn't get picked on but I heard comments about gays; everyone thought I was straight). I experienced homophobic comments on a daily basis, and even stopped going to school in grade 12 because it got really depressing to hear that shit everyday(again I never was targeted but hearing it was enough to make me think I had a doomed future). My boyfriend though, didn't experience any of this, and he is only 40 kilometres away; in the next town.

To get back on point, since Toronto is pretty open, there may be less of a need for people from the area to be on this site. And it seems there are a lot more people from remote areas of Ontario versus the populated.

#9 AAASAS, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. CarUnderwater

thorough thought. I was more just looking to connect with those that are from the area. I don't believe living in a liberal or tolerable city means you're less likely to be on the site. Connecting is connecting; one of the main reasons i'm on this site. Not because i'm in the closet or because i'm out, but because I want to connect with people that are like minded and close by.

With that said, I can see where you were going with your post.

11. Querying

Ooookay.

I lived in Toronto at one point - went to a few different schools. The adults? Great. 70-80% are probably just fine with homosexuality - heck, Ontario's premier (head of state) is openly lesbian.

The kids?

Aww hell no. The little devils'll say homophobic stuff left and right. Sure, some of it's just not understanding, but...

So I'll have to disagree with you there. There are plenty great reasons to be closeted in the GTA.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that where DeGrassi Jr. High is?

13. Techno Kid

Yup! :grin: