1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying vs Making Cosplay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mab2112, Apr 26, 2014.

1. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So, I want to crossplay for a upcoming anime convention this summer and I am unsure if I should make my costume myself or buy it online (in shop or custom made). I want to buy it because I have absolutely no skills in sewing and costume making (and I'm lazy), but I want to make it myself because it's more self-worthy to show the costume you made at a con, Plus, it will be sure to fit if I do it myself.

What do you recommend?

2. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Who or what are you trying to cosplay?

3. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'll make a final choice whether I buy or make, because if I make it myself, I will choose something easier.

My ideas are, in no specific orders:
    - A character from Tales of series
    - Stocking from Panty and Stocking
    - An outfit of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu (maybe Ponponpon)

4. BelleFromHell

Never heard of the first or last ones...

I personally think you should buy the Stocking cosplay, but I'm the kind of person who's TERRIBLE with DIY cosplay, so my opinion may be a bit biased... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do my own accessories but buy my costumes (see my album for my Aigis at PAX east).

I'm ordering my next one soon.

6. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always pay but I suuuuck at making!

7. Caillin

Ok ive never bought from this store yet but the clothing looks very nice its called "HelloCosplay" and it ranges from a lot of different animes and everything. It also sells wig though the stuff is a bit expensive.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2014 at 07:47 PM ----------

Ok so I looked through some of the clothes and it has stockings uniform but its quite expensive :slight_smile:icon_sad:slight_smile: but it gives you the male or female option along with specifics about your body so itll fit you correctly.

8. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the website. I'll check for some more ideas there. Personally I have a soft spot for Kyary-chan's Ponponpon outfit, but that's because I'm a huge fan of her music <3. Stocking is really a close second and I can't decide >.< . Maybe I'll go with the cheapest. I don't really care about the price because I'm expecting this to be expensive, but yeah, I'll still watch myself.

I'll probably do like all of you and just buy my costume, unless one of my random friends accepts to lend me a hand, whih is unlikely.

Kasey: Nice costume, girl! :slight_smile: Sadly, I don't know the character. :frowning2:. But out of curiosity, what do you plan to cosplay next?

9. animequeen567

I make what's easy like the majority of my homestuck cosplays and buy everything else off my friend who makes cosplays. Some cosplays you can find stuff at goodwill for. For example one of my old friends found the perfect dress for Rapunzel (tangled version) at goodwill. It was like an exact replica!