1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interaction with the Red Cross

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jul 31, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My son called me today. He was at the mall and ran into some recuiters for the Red Cross. They asked him if he'd like to donate blood. He said "I'd LOVE to give blood but you won't take it. I'm gay." They looked at eachother and said "yeah, we hate that rule." I was proud of him for speaking the truth. :slight_smile:

2. biisme

That's great! And, I'm glad at least that they don't like that rule.

3. SamAlex728

w-w-w-wait!!! THEY WON'T LET YOU DONATE IF YOU'RE GAY?!?!?!?!
    They of all people should take what they can get.

4. Bond231

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it really annoys me. Here in england its the same, you can't give blood if your a man who has had oral or anal contact with or without a condom with another man in the past 12 months. Its cause we're at a higher risk of HIV, but the thing is its not longer a 'gay diesease' (sorry awful spelling!) and there are alot more Straight people who lead less than sexually healthy lives!

But I really admire him saying that straight out to them!

#4 Bond231, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  5. berileos

berileos Guest

They didn't let him give blood?That's discrimination!It's really cool from him that he said truth...

6. revolutionrock

Yeah, I think the rule applies to any man who's had sexual contact with another man since 1976. It's insanity. And I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think they discriminate against lesbians.

It's really very sad.

I like giving blood, so I'm trying to do it as much as I can now. In the hopes that one day I too will have sexual contact with another man. :wink:

7. Tim

Tim

I gave blood last year, I didn't lie, and all my friends were like, did you just do something illegal? XD I've not had sexual contact with a man before, so no, I didn't =P

However, I did get very woozy despite feeling perfectly fine, I apparently turned white, as I wasn't allowed to leave the wait area at the school (I did it at a blood drive at school), as the woman didn't think I looked ok, then a few minutes later, I got really dizzy and almost passed out <_< Then I had to go home early cause me and another girl passed out in 5th period from the donating and all the walking we had to do during the school day >_>

But yes, that was awesome of your son, XD He must be very self confident to do that o.o

8. eclipse

eclipse Guest

Yea... I would really like to donate my blood to help those in need. My school has a blood drive every year and I try to be there for it. I have a funny story though that is somewhat related:

It is very hard to walk down a busy street in my city without being stopped once by someone with a clipboard who is asking for donations for some new charity. It gets extremely annoying especially because their normal tactic is to guilt you into signing up for a monthly donation. Well one day, three different charities attempted to stop me within two blocks. By the time I got to the last one, which happened to be someone from the Red Cross, I was so pissed that I very sternly told the guy "I'm GAY so you won't take my blood anyway" before he could finish his first sentence, and then speed-walked my way down the street.

9. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The blood-sucking vampire didn't care who his victims were :slight_smile:

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

They test the blood anyway...but should a hetero whose had sex with 100's of people be allowed to donate, but a homosexual whose only had one partner can't...it seems a little outdated.

11. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Yep, I can't give blood. And that's really a shame too because I have O bloodtype and I don't get woozy or nervous when I give it for something like a blood test. They're just hurting themselves with that rule.

12. Ty

Ty Guest

Hmm im not particularly upset that I don't have to give blood, because the idea of it kinda makes me queasy.... but if you want to give blood and your free from diseases, I don't see why not!