1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does patriotism feel like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BookDragon, Apr 27, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I am one of the least patriotic people you will ever meet. You will not find me singing the national anthem or displaying any associated flags. You will never hear me saying I'm proud or even happy to be English or British or anything else.

I was walking down my road back form the shops and I saw a flag in somebodies window. Flag of St George with the word "ENGLAND" written across it in capital letters. I realise this was probably more a football thing than anything else, but it's the only flag I've seen on my road and it's the closest thing I've seen to something patriotic in a while.

This got me thinking. Every time I walk past that house I feel like shaking my head disapprovingly (Some of you are probably thinking that doesn't seem very 'extreme' in terms of a reaction but apparently I'm a stereotype...).

SO basically what I was wondering is, for those of you that ARE patriotic...I guess just what is that LIKE? I'm not asking what you DO or WHY you are patriotic, just how does it feel...if that is even a question you can answer...

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I mean, I don't have flags in my yard or anything but i still love my country. I think that some people like to have a clear representation of it, especially if they have family members serving or something.

3. blond

I'm not really proud of my country but i do love it. I don't think i could live anywhere else.

4. Higs

I've been wondering the same.

Once you move to another country you realise how everything is the same - same planet with same people who like same stuff.

Ofcourse there are differences between countries but if you are lucky enough to live in many places and really get to know them, you realise patriotism is same thing as xenophobia.

5. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I like it here but I have no pride in it. It's weird to me how many homes and establishments I see hanging US flags here. Just in case you, I dunno, forget what fucking country you're in.

6. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a saying written on a wall that goes like this: "Our only motherland is our childhood", and I believe that. What bonds me with my country or ethnicity is the memories I have, I think it's natural to love familiar landscapes, music, smells, foods etc. But I have no "national pride". I'm not proud of what my ancestors or my so-called-ancestors did because, well, I didn't do it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I can admire it as any other person. And I don't consider the land I live as "mine". My relationship with it is not based on a sense of property, but more on a personal bond because of the memories. Also, I wouldn't fight for my country, but I would fight for freedom.

7. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I find it very strange here. Many Indians are intensely patriotic and will protest if they see a flag being disrespected in any way or if the national anthem is sung wrong or anything. Most of these people are also people who don't mind littering, spitting and urinating on the road, and disrespecting the other PEOPLE of the country.

Having grown up watching attitudes like this (and having been told by my school that we must be proud of our country and what it has gone through, OR ELSE) I feel that patriotism is just a farce of an idea. If you paint "My India is Great" on the backs of all of the trucks and buses you can lay your hands on, and then disrespect people of other religions and knowingly throw rubbish on the streets, it's completely pointless to say that you love your country. What exactly is it that you love?

I think it's more important to love the world that we live in, instead of restricting ourselves to one country. Unless you have actually DONE something, simply belonging to a group of people isn't really something to be proud of.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll admit to feeling the same way. There is something about seeing a flag in someone's garden that I find unsettling. I don't like patriotism being shoved in my face. Generally not an issue though - we're not exactly a patriotic bunch (quite the opposite, in fact).

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So the considered conclusion is that we don't know... fair enough xD

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I would imagine it feels a lot like stupidity.

11. Techno Kid

:eusa_naug It is possible to like where you live more than other places without hating people in other places.

I like my country for different reasons... all the different beautiful landscapes, the diversity of the people, and the vibrant cities/traditional small towns. I also want my country to do well and be respected.

Maybe what I feel is not what most people mean by patriotism. :/

12. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I generally don't like how my country works. (Which is somewhere in Europe, that's all I'm gonna say) The people are mean, they're stubborn, and extremely close minded. Not to mention, we're probably the next ones to follow Greece and Italy in the line of collapsing economies. The last time this place was anything to be proud of was around the 15th century. Therefore I'm not patriotic at all. In fact I wish I were in some other country, but since the people there will never consider me equal as an immigrant, I feel I do not belong anywhere.

13. Foxface

I wouldn't have even the slightest clue...weird as it sounds I don't even know if I was patriotic while serving in the military

My lack of patriotism is not borne out of the fact that this country is starting to suck, rather I feel that it's foolish to be patriotic...I would much rather consider myself a lover of humans as opposed to feeling something more or less due to some made up boundaries

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seems pretty close to the mark as far as I'm concerned. The movers of this country are breaking its back (see below), but I stand for our way of life and the principles we hold up.

The second part of patriotism is recognition that nations are flawed beasts, and need constant upkeep. Loving one's country means applying tough love to it as well; knowing when to defend some position or join in attacking it is where most people have issues. As long as everyone involved remembers they share the common goal of advancement as a unified group, things might turn out okay.

**That's not to say I don't love other countries too. But the same sense of possession isn't there. The UK, Japan, Greece, India, etc. are wonderful and respectable countries, but they aren't mine. :slight_smile:

15. King

There is nothing wrong at all with showing a strong connection to your homeland, it is good as it gives people something in common and there is a common culture and shared understanding. So long as you are not disrespecting other countries then I don't see any issues.

You should be grateful to be living in a nice and tolerant country, instead of judging people and their flags.

16. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK King, you seem to be fairly keen on the whole idea, so perhaps you could tell me then.

What does it actually FEEL like?

Keep in mind, I am not interested at this stage in the reasons why it may or may not be a good thing, I just want to know how it feels because it isn't something I've experienced.

When you are feeling patriotic...say for example you see the flag or sing the national anthem or whatever it is you do, HOW DO YOU FEEL?

17. King

I don't know, it is hard to define a feeling. Just being happy about achievements and togetherness of people I suppose.

18. Will2M

I think patriotism is feeling like you are part of something bigger. Some people like that and others don't. I personally take great pride in being able to live in America, ahem, the United States. But King is right, it is something that is hard to define. I think the best way I can describe it is being proud of your country for it's achievements and successes as well as how well it has bonded in tragedy i.e. 9/11. Our whole country comes together on that day and says "Hell yeah! We are America don't f*** with us." as well as to remember the fallen and to me that is a pretty cool feeling; to be part of something powerful.