1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum Wage, Should We Increase It?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Apr 27, 2014.

1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

There has been a lot of debate lately on whether we should increase the minimum wage or leave it as it is. Some will even say to get rid of the minimum wage. Some say increasing the wage will put more $ into people's pockets, some say inflation will just catch up anyways.

EDIT: In the United States

So what do you think? Should it be increased or left as it is?

#1 JStevens96, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In what country?

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Sorry, edited it. I meant U.S.

4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I know that here in Massachusetts, the minimum wage is set to rise to $11/hr by June 2016

5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yes, do you think that's a good thing?

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UK minimum wage is $10/hr (set to increase further), but the cost of living is very high as well. US cost of living is probably the lowest in the developed world.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Minimum wage doesn't cause inflation to go up, the minimum wage is raised to keep up with the rising inflation. $7.25 today is worth $6.26 in 2007, when they raised minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25. A dollar today is worth 88 cents back then.

8. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I figured. I heard it's really nice over there but the gun crazies here always hate in how gun laws work over there.

to (imnotreallysure)

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The minimum wage here is set to increase by 3% this year precisely because inflation is high - our disposable incomes have declined by 6% since 2010, and are the same now as 10 years ago (despite everything being more expensive).

#9 imnotreallysure, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Minimum wage jobs aren't really supposed to be the jobs people stay at forever. No, I don't think that's the solution. Cut down on military and welfare expenses.
    I love our military, but we do have more important things to worry about.
    Do the people in the Middle East really need drones flying around? Can't we get the private sector to work on alternative energy sources?

11. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

That hasn't been the case for a while now. Currently, there isn't anywhere near enough demand for higher paying jobs for minimum wage to be as temporary as it used to be.

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Which is exactly our problem.
    Too many people, not enough jobs. While I wouldn't call the USA overcrowded yet (*cough*potato country*cough*), I can say that we need to create more job opportunities. Otherwise, we're all screwed.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Maybe we should rethink what full time work is. With the large and increasing amount of mechanization and computerization, and lots of people un or under employed, is a 40 hour work week really necessary anymore? As a nation, I don't think we have that much work that needs doing anymore.

14. Sarcastic Luck

Unfortunately, most jobs now require some form of degree, and that makes it hard for people who were highschool drop outs or are older to get a job.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reducing mandatory workloads and increasing pays would be a good thing to do, and it'd circulate more workers throughout the week so more jobs are available.

And yes, I do think the US needs to raise the minimum wage. Although in Australia it's a universal $15/hr, I believe that it's good to put in the expense of the area in the equation, which could bring it from $12 to $20 or maybe even higher (the minimum wage has been decreasing in actual value for a long time and is pathetically lower than it once was and needs to be)

Workers deserve to be able to live off what they make for a living.

16. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Not to mention the people with degrees who still make very low pay.

17. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I feel a $10.10 would create less of a strain on our social programs. Jobs being offered for such a wage would also drive more people to want them.

18. Jethro702

While I agree with most of what you are saying... minimum wage jobs seem to be lasting longer and longer for people, Some can't find anything else. I have noticed a lot of people who work minimum wage jobs are fairly spread across various age groups, not just younger people filling in some money while they go to school or start on what they want to do for the rest of their lives.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we should increase the minimum wage to $11-$15 an hour. People say this would hurt small business, but it actually helps with job security, job turnover rates, and productivity. It's common sense that we pay all Americans a living wage.

And if I have to spend a few extra cents to a dollar to help fund this minimum wage, I would gladly do it to help keep a family out of poverty.

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Hell yeah. Even if it does ruin the economy who cares. I'd be making more money