1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people hate dating sites so much?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 27, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems like a lot of people I meet both online and offline hate online dating.

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Maybe because nearly all the people on there want only sex?

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Because a site that matches you based on what you have in common doesn't take into account that opposites can match as well.

Also, real easy to lie. Whether it be their photo or their info.

4. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's because it seems better to get to know someone "naturally", without searching. People think that someone who looks out for love is desperate and that one should find it spontaneously. I'd prefer it that way, too, for myself, but I don't see something bad in having the need to love. And, sometimes, especially for LGBT people in non-friendly areas, it's a good option...

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Good point. But there's an huge difference between "I want to love and donate all myself to a person" from "I don't want to be alone anymore!" :dry:

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess people hate dating sites because a) they want a relationship, but most others seem to want sex, and b) they are heavily biased towards good-looking people, since you cannot accurately gauge someone's personality over the internet.

But online dating does have success stories. People even get married.

7. BelleFromHell

1) A lot of the people lie with their photo, so you could get some 60 year old pervert for all you know.

2) Most people aren't looking for a serious, loving or commited relationship. They usually want nothing but sex.

3) How can someone fall in love with someone they hardly know? With dating sites, you just jump straight to the date and don't take the time to build a plationic relationship first.

8. Story Jinx

I'm a member of a dating site (I don't know if I am allow to tell which on here..) and I love it!
    I met so many awesome people there :slight_smile:
    No, people don't only want sex.

9. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah you have a point here. That's a long talk...

Also, another reason could be that it seems shallow to search for a partner by looking at pages of photos and lists of interests, and compare, like you're searching for some kind of object, rather than a human relationship.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Comments like this are part of the problem...if normal people who just want to find dates are scared away from online dating sites because they think everyone on them is a sex-crazed creep, then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that only sex-crazed creeps will be on the dating sites.

More normal people seeking out actual dates and relationships need to join the online dating sites/apps. Then we will outnumber the creeps. :icon_wink

So I hate all the hate that dating sites get. Out in the real world, we are a tiny minority. On online dating sites, we are seemingly infinite. You can find every gay single person looking for dates in your area. It is an amazing technological achievement.

11. Joelouis

I wouldn't say EVERYONE on dating sites are just looking for sex, maybe most but not all.
    There is one (nameless) site I use that is obvious it's not used just for sex hook ups, and I've met two really nice girls who have became friends with me.

12. BelleFromHell

I'd be more open-minded towards something like that. I think it's important to have a strong platonic relationship before things start to get romantic and sexual.