1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with religious homophobes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by micstar615, Apr 27, 2014.

1. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been having a tough time lately. I've been closeted ever since I came to terms with my sexuality, my parents are Indian (aka homophobic) and things are not right at home right now. So I often go on to the internet to find solace and at times it's great, websites like this, twitter and YT help me feel connected with the community therefore making me feel less alone. I often see that religious people of all kinds to be in general very homophobic, and it bothers me. Yeah, I'm a sensitive guy and I have a hard time not completely caring what people think and sometimes their words and rejection gets to me. I've developed anxiety issues as a result. How do you deal with people who have these views and is there any validity whatsoever to their hate?

#1 micstar615, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. CaptainClyde

CaptainClyde Guest

There's zero validity to their hatred. Period. Many faiths are vague on homosexuality, some are pretty blatant. I can pretty much guarantee that the vague ones are taught to love their neighbor etc...

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

No, there's no validity to their hate. Their worldviews are built upon myths and fairytales. And in many cases religion is just used as an excuse to release latent homophobia, religion can be twisted to serve any cause. By hiding behind religion, they can scream "religious freedom" to justify discrimination and hatred.

And self-hating closet-cases especially flock to religion and use it to bash gays to hide their own latent homosexuality.

4. CaptainClyde

CaptainClyde Guest

In other words, they do what you're doing right here.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's strange how these people are so obsessed with what others do in the bed room. I tend to ignore such people. I think they make such an issue of it to distract attention from the ridiculousness of the rest of their beliefs.

I personally wouldn't put to much stock in the opinions of people who are basing their prejudice on ancient fairy tales. You live in the 21st century, and those of us accept the modern times we live in, will be there for you and accept you for who you are. It's what I like to call: being civilised and mature.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed. The religions that are vague on the issue have teachings that contradict homophobic actions imo. The blatant homophobic ones also have other ideals that are blatantly portrayed that are considered immoral in today's society :/

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Haha that doesn't even make one iota of sense.

8. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is true, "religious freedom" was used to defend racism at one point I believe.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yep, it sure was, the Holy Bible prohibits mixing of the races, you see?

In a court ruling upholding the state's law prohibiting interracial marriage, the Virginia judge declared:

"Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

10. Cass

Let me first interject with this, because some of you seem to not know
    Religion is NOT synonymous with bigotry
    Not all religious people are hateful to homosexuality. Let me also say that they DO have religious freedom to THINK what they want, they do NOT have the right however to SAY whatever they want. Sadly the Christians that do speak up are the ones who are bigots
    I am terribly sorry that other Christians are intolerant of you. That isn't the way we are taught as Christians. Even when we are told homosexuality isn't right (even though there's not much evidence to back it) we are still taught to love other people regardless of sins they commit.
    All you can do is ignore them.

Back to everyone else, there are Christians on this site and in the LGBT community in general, so watch what you say about "those people" because some of them are some of us. Myself included

#10 Cass, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  11. LisaDawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I usually just ignore them. I usually don't be myself in areas they usually are at. I haven't come out to anyone so I don't really get the heat other people get. I grew up in a very religious family. I was punished as a child when I was being the girl I am not knowing it was wrong to some people. It felt normal to me. I just learned to hide it from everyone.
    Growing up around the Bible, does anyone realize that Jesus was close to a prostitute? Noah's own son had sex with him when drunk. We tend to be our real selves when we are intoxicated. Tell them to read the WHOLE book. Not just the parts they like.
    The moral is we don't have to like what everyone does but we have to love them all. I do things some people may not think is not the norm but I'm not calling out someone who wants to express themselves in there own way just because I don't do that.
    I've learned to not give them anything to harass me about. I just ignore them, focus on my own zen, and leave them behind while I go on with my life.

12. Cass

What he's saying is you're doing the same thing you don't want religious people to do to you. You are generalizing and bashing religious people the same way some of them do to you. Two wrongs don't make a right

13. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am fully aware that not all religious people are homophobic, I myself follow a faith, I did not intend for it to come across as "religious people are all homophobic" when making this thread. I just want advice on how to deal with the ones that are because their words hurt. P.S I apologize if I made you feel insulted in any sense that was not my intention whatsoever :slight_smile:

14. Cass

It wasn't actually you who said anything insulting. It was at the general conversation. Thank you though, and again I'm sorry you've been feeling put down by homophobic religious people. It's never fun for anyone. (*hug*)

15. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you *hugs* it's definitely hard, they make you feel like your very existence is a bad thing, it sucks :frowning2: it's hard being constantly rejected in that sense :/ most religions aren't even homophobic by nature, it's people who make them that way by misinterpreting or mistranslating something or taking it at face value and ignoring the parts that preach love and equality. Because of it's inconsistencies I think religion is something formed by man in a sense but faith imo is something that drives us and we should all be included in that sense.

16. Jethro702

I myself follow a faith. I do not see where ANY religious person can hate/dislike anyone so much, It is really against everything they teach. In fact, I was in church this morning, the whole message was about God's love for EVERYONE... It was interesting to think about that especially since so many of the people there are judgmental to anyone who doesn't fall into what they feel to be socially acceptable.

17. Cass

I feel that way too honestly. I mean I love God, but I believe it's impossible to know exactly what he wants from us as humans because humans have manipulated religion. I feel like faith is between you and God

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yeah, except no I'm not. His post made no sense, and neither does yours. What I said is not in any way comparable to the way religious homophobes behave.

19. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well said.

20. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you know what's even better than websites like this? it's finding gay friend or two in real life. It will reduce your stress loads if you can make a friend. Just spending an evening once in a while chatting can be a great bonus and keep you sane !! (*hug*)