1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uni LGBTQ

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Minnie, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Minnie

Are there ANY LGBTQ societies where the members haven't all slept with each other? I mean obviously people are going to hook up but at my uni's one I seriously think I'm the only one who's not dated or screwed anyone from it. It's so overly sexualised!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, how many other situations do you find yourself in where you can approach someone and know DAMN WELL what their orientation is...it's hardly suprising that people end up dating in that environment...

3. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

What?

I'm starting to look into joining my uni's LGBTQ club since I think it would be a tremendous help to me to be able to be around others I relate to on gender/sexuality terms. Never occurred to me that such societies might be hook-up venues. :confused: How naive/sheltered am I...

4. BelleFromHell

That's a big reason why I'm not a part of the LGBTQ community.

LGBTQ people are stereotyped as sluts and the ones who run around hooking up with each other certainly aren't helping us disprove that stereotype...

5. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mine was just awkward and fairly crap.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that it depends on the size of the group. There is a lot of that that goes on in my LGBTQ group here, but it's also a large group, so it would take a long time to sleep with everybody...

My group is just really corrupt, which led to me being almost thrown out for sharing the constitution. Needless to say.. I don't go much anymore.

7. Julieno

+1 TO This.

Also...wow... whats with all the prejudices and stereotypes.

I attend to the events in mine regularly and get involved into organizing things. I have made a nice bunch of friends, lesbians, trans people and other gay guys. Guess what? I have not slept with any of them. We go to the cinema, we go out together, we speak about other guys... I can tell you that for every person who likes to get as much sex as they can there are other 7 o 8 nice people who just want to socialize and maybe find the right person. We have discussion groups, coffe socials, drinking socials, do campaigning, have a faith duscussion group organize trips... the pure essence of evil...

I certainly do not see anything wrong in initiating a relationship with other person from the LGBTQ group. You spend tie with that people, you get to know them and you know for certain if you are compatible in bed or not. Now, if what you think is wrong is having casual sex... Joining the society doesn't mean you have to even be friends with people who like that. Saying everyone is like that is really far from reality anyway (I don't see that as something. really bad as long as only consenting adults are involved, but that is a completely different issue)

Also not liking what your local LGBTQ society does is not a reason not to join it. You can always join it, take the initiative and change things from the inside. Join it and organize discussion groups, picnics or whatever you want from it. I think discouraging people or yourself, from going or participating is a bad idea. Even worst if it is just based on prejudices. (Maybe I was just lucky and ended up finding the only nice one)

8. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I joined mine online, but I don't know what do now, my years is mainly over for the term, so have to wait 5months to try this out. I didn't really know what to expect but if sex is on the cards...I'm in. Its more to do with meeting other gay people without going clubbing which is not my scene, plus I think it's awkward to go gay clubbing on your own, I know nobody who would want to go.

9. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    There's a bit in mine. (Not a lot as far as I know.)
    But meh, as long as no-one's getting hurt. :slight_smile:

10. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If there was a slight opportunity of getting laid I'd join, lol. My uni's LGBT soc is a joke.

11. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've know looked into it. I don't think they're be much sex, more tee parties than anything else. Meh I'm disappointed.

12. BornAnew

The one at my uni wasn't like that. I mean lots of people that joined ended up dating but there wasn't any sleeping around as such going on. Maybe it depends on the size of the group...

13. LiquidSwords

I'm joining my uni's LGBT society next year.

14. Jethro702

I just checked mine's list of student organizations/clubs and we don't have a LGBT society :frowning2: There is a GSA, but it seems fairly inactive and when they do meet its on one of the campuses furthest from the one I attend classes at.

15. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just joined mine. I've only been to one event and so I don't really know who's hooked up with who. I'm not originally from here and only recently came out, so it seemed like the most logical first step to go to try and meet other LGBT people. We'll see what it's like once things get started back up in the fall.

16. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know if people at my GSA sleep with each other. I've been to a few meetings and they were boring. All they did was gossip and talk about organizing events. Hopefully I can find a more interesting LGBT group.

17. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The one I go to is pretty sex crazy too. It's like part of the initiation is you have to sleep with everyone who already goes. JK, but it does feel pretty caddy and overly sexualized. We did just elect a president to office who, to my knowledge, does not sleep around and sees the over sexualization of the group as a problem. (which it is because of all the drama.) #NoSlutShaming #NoPurityShaming

18. Julieno

Looking online at the kind of activities that are organized is a good idea. Things that are more low key are better at the beginning since it is always harder when you don't know anyone and it is easier to meet nice people and chat without deafening music. As for the other thing... well, you get to meet people that are compatible with you. You are pretty much bound to be attracted to someone so dating (and sex if thats what you are looking for)are on the cards for obvious reasons.

I joined mine just when I moved (and came out) and it has been pretty nice. I always recommend everyone to get involved at organizational level too, you get to meet people who really care and get to have a say into the kind of things that are organized

Its probably a good idea, I would tell you the same I said to Liquidswords :slight_smile:

Yeah, probably the normal meeting will be boring but you can always just go to the events they organize. For the people that organize the events it is always nice to have many people attending.

19. Harve

Yeah I've not joined mine.

20. The username

Both LGBTQ groups at my school look super lame. Maybe that's just me. IDK. My other gay friends aren't even in it.