1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equality and Justice day in Albany New York

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Phantosmiac, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Phantosmiac

Tomorrow is E+J day in Albany an it is a rally for youth to attend to meet with an lobby local legislators to pass certain bills, mainly Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act as well as a ban on conversion therapy and one to continue finding for the runaway teens act that provides school transportation and meals for those who identify as homeless/runaways. I am so excited to go tomorrow, and I get out of school, just wondering if anyone here is going or has heard of it.

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I went to Equality and Justice Day last year, and I'm going again this year. It was very trans-focused last year, perhaps because of the GENDA bill, not sure if it will be the same this year. (It was there that I attended these long seminars learning everything there is to know about transgenderism and transseuxality, though I felt like I was the only boring old gay boy in the room. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

(Last year I actually met up with someone from EC at E&J Day, I won't say who, but I'm the only one on EC who knows what he looks like. :wink:)

There's also that rally outside which is pretty fun. Working for a state assemblyman myself, I'm also hoping to visit our Albany office for the first time when we get some free time (last time there was fair amount of time to wander around freely).

Only negative is it is supposed to be pretty rainy and nasty and chilly out in Albany tomorrow. (Also I have to be on a bus at the LGBT center leaving at 5am, and don't get back until 9pm, and have work the next day, I'm going to be so tired. :icon_eek:slight_smile:. Last year it was still a little chilly, but at least it was sunny.

#2 Rakkaus, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that sounds like a pretty awesome event, never heard of it though.

4. ChameleonSoul

I really want to go but I could never get out of school to go there. And to think, I'll only be a mile from where it's being held.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

There has to be like an LGBT center in Queens? I'm going with my LGBT center, they have a bus going up there, maybe if you get in touch with your local LGBT center you can go that way, though I don't know if it's too late since the event is tomorrow! But it's a pretty big event, people from all over New York State show up and fill up the big ballroom, separate tables for people from each county hearing a bunch of speakers, and then you split up and go into different seminars about different issues depending on which ones interest you. I think last time I was bit oversaturated by trans issues, so I might seek out something different this time.

Your school won't let you out? I know the LGBT center I'm going with sends out like permission slips to allow students to be excused from class that day to go to Equality & Justice Day.

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea it's called Queens Pride House, i've tried looking for info on the site, but it looked pretty disorganized to me. i guess i'll check at the house when i have a chance to. like to be a bit more involved in a way so i can meet gay guys like myself. at the same time, it might not be my cup of tea. i would go but i'm not much of a speaker haha. i only say the most interesting thing at the most unexpected time. sounds really cool.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh lol, the speakers are prominent figures like elected officials and leaders of organizations like Empire State Pride, ordinary people who go to Equality & Justice Day don't have to do any public speaking. Otherwise it would take a month for every single person attending E&J Day to take the podium. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: