1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What language are you studying?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FireSmoke, Apr 28, 2014.

1. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I mean only what language are you studying, not what language do you already know.

I'm studying french and in the future I want to study dutch.

What about you?

#1 FireSmoke, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  2. eminindo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to learn dutch too! I'm kind of worried though because everyone says it's not that easy to learn. Right now I'm learning german and I think I almost broke my tongue on some occasions, but I think I'm getting better haha

3. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I study German, Swedish, and I should probably say English as well though I'm not that bad at it :grin: But I was in Rome last week and I just so badly wanna learn Italian!!!! So when I get the chance I'll study Italian!! :slight_smile:

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Yeah, everyone says dutch is difficult, with an hard pronunciation. I'm from a Romance language, in fact, and dutch is from a different stock.

But I noticed I'm pretty good with the pronunciation :grin:

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2014 at 10:04 PM ----------

Do it! Italian is a beautiful language, in fact :slight_smile:

#4 FireSmoke, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  5. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know right? Thts why I wanna learn it so bad :3

6. Niko

I studied Japanese for almost two years. The last sensei I had was awful, and she was the only sensei who taught the higher classes...so I stopped. :/

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

If you need some suggestions :grin:

8. BelleFromHell

I know intermediate-level Japanese, but stress has made me slack my studies.
    I've also studied some Spanish and Chinese, but I've been slacking with them as well...

I'm currently trying to learn Hangul (the Korean alphabet). It's fairly easy. (!)

9. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

If you like this language, don't give up! Not for a bad teacher! (is sensei the japanese teacher, right?). I was so bad with english and french but now I understand that I had only bad teachers who didn't make me love of these languages.

10. BelleFromHell

Dude... LUCKY!! I've been learning Japanese for 4 years and I'm completely self-taught.

#10 BelleFromHell, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spanish (in which I'm already rudimentarily able to speak, in a Castillian dialect), French (far more simple than my Spanish), and German (which I've just picked up). I want to continue studying these languages in university, too. I would also be learning Italian, but the Italian class was on the same line as other classes of mine.

Knowing German cases will also help me pick up either Russian (a good language for business and literature) or Finnish (my father's native language), which employ extensive use of cases.

12. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm studying French and Swedish, although I seem to be focusing more on the Swedish at the moment.

13. Niko

Yeah Sensei means teacher in Japanese. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I loved the language, and my first two sensei's were so awesome! Like the way they taught, it all made sense so quickly. I was able to read and write pretty well, and speaking was eh..but I could manage. The last one though...ugh...I pretty much forgot all what I learned now. Except for reading and writing a few basics. :confused:

But I do have all of the textbooks and workbooks, so maybe one day I'll get back into it! And just teach it to myself! ^^

Self- taught that's awesome! Keep it going. :grin: How well do you know it?

14. BelleFromHell

Arigato gozaimasu! (!)

I'm sure I don't know as much as you do. I rely entirely on a few books and some websites, like this one: WEB

I know all the kana, but kanji has been an absolute hell. I know about 200 kanji, which isn't too bad for someone who's self-taught, I guess.

I'm a lot better with reading and understanding Japanese than speaking it, which is apparently common with people who are self-taught.

I need to get a job and save up for some Japanese classes, ASAP.

15. Niko

Doo itashimashite ^^

200 Kanji is really good though! I agree they're the hardest to learn...and even harder to write. o_o;

My last sensei was big on Kanji...KANJI KANJI KANJI! That's all we did...she burned it into our brains or at least she tried. :lol: She would even lecture you if you did the kanji right, but didn't do the stroke order correctly. As if it meant something completely different.

I think that's great though! Now you're inspiring me to pick up those textbooks I have and start again. :icon_bigg

And maybe you can find some classes at the college you're going to...if you're going that is. :slight_smile:

16. BelleFromHell

Oh jeez... I'm especially terrible with remembering stroke orders! :confused:

I'm glad you're starting Japanese again! Ganbatte! <3 (*hug*)

I'm obsessed with education, so I'm definitely going to college as soon as I can.
    I still haven't decided which one I'm going to...

There are also classes that let you study abroad. I've been interested in taking them, but they're CRAZY expensive... :eek:

17. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At one stage I was learning Japanese and Mandarin Chinese. I REALLY want to get back to both of them but I've been so depressed I haven't been able to.

One of my goals for this year is to get a job and go to a class for one or both of them!

18. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I am working on German.

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I studied French for two years and Latin for one (my magister managed to cram three years of Latin into a school year for us).

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Hmm, over the course of my academic career, I've formally studied Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, German, Italian, and Arabic (Italian I studied actually while studying in Rome, Italy my junior year of college).

As for what I am studying now...my goal is to go the autodidactic route and do some self-study of Spanish, because of it's incredible usefulness, so many job opportunities around here say Spanish required/preferred. I just started going through the first chapter of a Spanish self-study book I bought, I'm hoping my Latin (good) and Italian (poor) skills will help a little bit. Spanish seems like an easy enough to language to learn on your own.

Besides that, I would also like to brush on my Russian, which I haven't used in the almost two years now since I studied in Moscow. Russian is also a useful language, probably the only really useful language I studied, especially if this new 'cold war' that appears to be developing manifests itself. There are also a lot of Russians in New York, just like Hispanics, so Russian/Spanish would be very useful in terms of snagging local job opportunities. (Well German I guess is also kinda important in terms of European politics and business, but I'm not involved in European politics and business, though ideally I'd also like to brush up on my German).

Actually I'd like to also continue self-studying of Latin and Ancient Greek and Italian as well, though they are not so useful, and it can be confusing studying too many languages at once! (Even though it is a useful language, I've forgotten pretty much all of my Arabic, it's on the difficult side, the easiest part, and the only part I remember, is the Arabic alphabet and reading it from right-to-left.)