1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't like the word queer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 28, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Queer seems to be the only label that I know fits me. The problem is, I don't like the way that word sounds and most people don't know what it means.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    funny, when i was growing up i never heard the word queer used in a "homosexual" way. it was the old meaning something just "off", just not quite "right" or just not level or plumb (vertical) i was maybe 12 or 13 before i heard the "new" meaning that we use today

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sheesh, you're awfully hard on words, y'know. They have feelings, too! I've never liked the word "nerd" but I don't go starting threads about it.

But speaking of that, you could label yourself a ChromeNerd, and use it to mean what you are. People still wouldn't know what it meant, but at least you'd like the sound of it (presumably).

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love the way it sounds, and I love to identify as queer. I also kind of like that people don't know what it means. All it means is "ask me more."

I can certainly understand not liking it, though. Some people don't like it as a reclaimed word. However, I am still going to refer to "the family" as the queer community, since I mean it in a loving way. And LGBT is a crappy initialism that should die in a fire.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't mind when other people use it. It seems to suit some people. I just think it sounds weird when people like me use it. I don't think I can "pull off" that word if you know what I mean.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, if none of the "labels" fit you may i suggest one that means unique, special, beautiful, that being you, or from your prespective "me"(*hug*):eusa_clap

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you think it would take you to "pull off" identifying as queer? One of my bisexual friends identifies as queer, and she pretty much looks like your straight, lipstick femme.

I'm just curious that you think you can't own it, as if queers are somehow in a different class. I'm not insulted by it. I'm just confused, by the way you're writing, it's as if you don't feel "worthy."

8. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I don't feel worthy. When I hear the word queer I think of someone who is gender non-conforming or active and political. I am none of those things. I'm just a gender conforming friendless nerd.

9. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is why I LOVE identifying as Queer. It says I am choosing to identify as an un-boxed unique human being. I'm Queer. :slight_smile: I don't think everyone needs to identify as Queer. If you don't like it for whatever reason, don't use it for yourself. I don't think that LGBT inherently implies Q.

10. There is no prerequisite to identifying as queer. This is something I often remind myself.
    Gender non-comforming or no, if you feel like that's you then you don't need to prove it to anyone. And anyone who thinks you should prove it is wrong and being real rude, so feel free to tell them so :slight_smile:

11. Emberblaze

I've always considered it to have a negative connotation, ya know? Homosexual = Queer while Heterosexual = Straight.

It makes it seem like gay is strange and hetero is fine. I don't really care when people use it, but I just don't use it myself nor do I care for it heheh.

12. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    I wouldn't use it either as I come from Ok, where the word is used as an insult more than anything else.

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh. I don't want to be "queer", I want to be myself.
    Besides, "queer" is such a vague term. And it used to be an insult, at that!

14. The vagueness is why I like it actually. I use queer for my sexual orientation because it does not assume the gender identity or gender expression of myself or the people I'm attracted to.

15. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of like the vagueness as well. I kind of want to identify as "gay", but I'm constantly worried about also being attracted to guys. If I could identify as queer I probably wouldn't worry as much about whether I like guys or not.

16. BelleFromHell

You can just say you're "questioning."
    Unlike queer, it's not used as a slur and it still gets the point across. :slight_smile:

17. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like the word questioning. To me it implies that I'm straight, curious and immature.

18. BelleFromHell

Well, not all people who are questioning turn out to be straight. I don't know what else to tell you.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's assuming it only deals with sexuality, specifically, homosexuality, which is quite a limited and biased way of looking at it.

One of the things I like about the word is just how much breadth it has; it can be applied to gender, expression, sexuality, and a number of other facets.

There's no prerequisite to using the word, really. I use it, partially, because it's considered offensive by some, and as a way of taking a stand and reclaiming something once derogatory. Above all, I'm not ashamed to say I'm a little different or "weird". :lol:

20. jp36

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But 'questioning' implies that you're asking questions about what your orientation/gender identity is, that you're moving towards it or trying to understand it but that you're not there yet, not in a settled orientation/gender identity. I don't think it quite means the same thing as queer, and using it that way would probably just confuse people.

I don't use 'queer' about myself, because gay seems to work just fine for me, but I do use it instead of LGBT/LGBTQ/LGBTQ+ because that way you don't constantly have to add new letters! It's all-inclusive.