1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S immigration reform bill

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Immigration reform has been in our political media for the last several months. The bill is supposed to let 11 million undocumented immigrants stay and grant them a path to citizenship. It will expand our border security, especially at the Southwest border where most of our undocumented immigrants come from (sorry latinos!). Our Congressional budget office believe that our economy can be strengthened with the bill.

The main concern is that our house of representatives has not even voted on it yet. This pretty much leaves many immigrants hanging since there has been no action on it yet (shut up you nasty-minded people). This can be bad for the Republicans since they may lose voters who are connected with undocumented immigrants. Also, another reasons why the bill hasn't been brought up in the house yet because the bill doesn't place much emphasis on strengthening border security, something most of the house Republicans support. While the bill allows the undocumented immigrants to stay, it grants them a path to citizenship, something most of the house Republicans are very against. I'm not saying all republicans are against this since notable republicans like John McCain (R-AZ) and Marco Rubio (R-FL) voted for the bill. In fact, the bill passed the senate with the vote of 68-32 (Democratic-Independent: 55 Republican: 45).

I support the bill. Most of them have paid taxes into our system and deserve to receive those benefits from the taxes. The bill should also make the processing of visa applications much faster. It took 10 years for my parents to get their visas to immigrate to the U.S and arrived in 1992. I wish it was faster like two to three years so my parents could have started a business much earlier when our country's economy was still booming. Also, if people have to wait that long, then they are more tempted to move to the U.S illegally. It's like waiting in line; you wait to long, you get impatient, and then you cut.

What do you guys think of the bill?

#1 anthonythegamer, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  2. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I absolutely agree with this. It's pretty much perfect. Strong borders, and now the 11 million people will be able to gain legal citizenship. Why is this a benefit? Well, if we increase the minimum wage to the proposed $10.10, that is millions of people working for wages that won't necessarily leave them in poverty, & therefore therefore will lead to more tax dollars collected for the government to help the debt.

With millions of the soon to be legal immigrants receiving such wages, despite how small they seem, that is $ in their pockets to spend on a business's products, and will boost the economy. That's millions more people spending more $ than there were.

Many feel criminals will be legalized, but nobody illegal here involved with a world of criminal activity will want to obtain citizenship.

I'd say more will be working than will be receiving large amounts of government assistance.

I think this is overall a great plan.

3. Techno Kid

I think the bill seems like a good compromise. :slight_smile:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always hated all the hoopla about immigration. All that needs to be done is make it easy enough to get in legally and harder to get in illegally. There is no love lost for people who hop the border and take advantage of a tax-free lifestyle. But as a citizen of a country of immigrants, I've got a warm welcome for people who want to come here and contribute like the rest of us.

As for amnesty, I'm torn. For people who want to be here, I wish them the best. But they knowingly sneaked in and for that I'd sort of want to deport them.

#4 Argentwing, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I feel they sneak as they fear how hard it will be the to obtain legal citizenship, I wouldn't mind granting them legal citizenship, apparently studies show they do different forms of work too than the average American even though some deny this.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just going to point out that that is factually incorrect first. Illegal immigrants collectively paid over $11 billion in state and local taxes.

Also, amnesty just makes sense. If America is truly a land of opportunity, it should be one for everyone who decides to come here. I honestly think we should have a loose border policy and make it simple to become naturalized.

#6 BryanM, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wondered if somebody would take issue with that. I guess I was overstating what I meant, but aside from sales tax paid from buying things and the in instances of compensation by certified labor offices, there is no way that they pay as much as people who are in the system.

It's a tough issue though. Part of me agrees that we should strive to be the land of opportunity for these people, and the practical part of me says that's a huge risk that might hurt the good of the country in a number of unpredictable ways.

#7 Argentwing, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do not have the right to punish them. You have no more a right to a comfortable life than they do. You were lucky in your citizenship, they were less. That's it. They don't deserve to be deported for not obeying rules deliberately created to harm them.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will never pass until Democrats take over the House. Democrats have negotiated and negotiated with John Boehner to just call the fucking bill and let the House vote, as it would probably pass. He said he wouldn't call it because he doesn't trust the President to enforce the law. The Democrats said that as stupid as that statement is, fine, we'll write it to where it doesn't take effect until 2017, after he's left office. And John Boehner still said no. The real reason is because it's one of Obama's signature campaign points, and they just can't allow that Black man to get anything else done.

After this election, I'm thinking the Speaker of the House will be Trey Gowdy, a Tea Party moron from South Carolina who does support some forms of immigration reform, however dodged the question of whether he supports the bill passed by the Senate. If he is elected Speaker, the House will start doing things, but it's going to get a lot crazier.

#9 AwesomGaytheist, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here I can comfortably disagree. If I were to sneak into Mexico and be discovered as an illegal immigrant, what would they do to me? I'm guessing it would involve being arrested and deported, because I broke that country's laws.

As for being deliberately created to harm them, maybe. Politicians and their corporate masters suck like that. I'll sort of meet you in the middle here and say it's a possibility, which is part of why I'm glad I am not the one in charge of immigration law.