1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegan experiment tips/resources

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skov, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Skov

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about trying a 30-day, vegan experiment. It is the mainly for the dietary side of it. I've heard great things about how people feel if they follow a healthy vegan diet, so I'm interested in giving it a shot.

My problem is, I don't really know where to start. I recently did a 30-day vegetarian experiment and learned a lot from it. I learned that I wasn't nearly as prepared as I should have been to make the switch. As a result, i ended up going out to restaurants (like Chipotle and Noodles) and getting their vegetarian dishes. I also resorted to unhealthy snacking. This all happened because I wasn't really prepared and didn't really know anything about cooking or caring for greens. However, I did have some positive things I learned as well. I greatly increased my vegetable intake. I also tried many new foods that I wouldn't have before. I also felt like "light" in my stomach if that makes sense.

Anyways, I want to know where I should begin to look for resources on going vegan. What I have found online is helpful for general info (protein, B12, Iron, etc) and recipes (which are usually way too complicated for me), but I haven't really found much information to help me apply the general knowledge. So, what tips/resources do you have that helped you go vegan?

Thanks in advance!

2. Aquilo

I'm slowly going vegetarian for about 3 years now. The most important thing you have to do is to learn to cook tasty, easy and quick recipes and to find good substitutes for lunch and breakfast.

For vegetarian and vegan quick meals I like pasta's, curries and noodles. Cooking a pasta is quick and making a sauce and/or side salad can be done quickly too. Indian curries are nice too, if your supermarket has pre-made curry sauces in stock, cook rice, cook pre-soaked/cooked beans. Add sauce to beans/other vegetables and you're done. It takes a bit longer than pasta for me, so I like to refrigerate extra curry. Noodles can be quick too, cook noodles, bake (pre-sliced) vegetables, add sauce and toss.

Trying to find condiments and fresh herbs/spices you like is a good idea to make dishes more tastier. I like thinks like vegetable stock and vegetarian Worcester sauce to add some extra flavour to dishes.