1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conscription

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Falklands Sheep, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the last couple of days, my country's government has been debating about conscription, and whether it'll be resumed or not. For what I've read, it was originally abolished in 1994 due to a corrupt high command and abusive NCOs, who literally treated conscripts as slaves. (hence the term 'colimba', which roughly translates to 'run, clean, sweep')

Now, I personally don't really have that much of a problem with serving for a year or two, and I'm positive that conscription (or an alternative service, like the Swiss community service) will make a change for the better among the Argentinian youth (which right now is sunk deep in drugs, laziness and heinous crimes).

However, I honestly don't feel safe with the idea. If the circumstances were different, I would gladly join up, but not like this. Not now. I've already started university, I have plans for reenactments, and considering how our economy's going, I might have to get a job soon to aid my parents.

There's also the possibility of getting outed, and as 'reprisal', being attacked by other conscripts. Argieland may be a fairly LGBT welcoming country, but it only takes one homophobe to drive others into violent assault. Especially if these kids were mostly raised on the street, where fights are a day to day thing.

Also, knowing our history, I really dislike the idea of facing the police in a possible coup d'etat. Or the Brits in Falklands part II.

I honestly don't know what to think here. It may help the country's situation, but for the time being I simply can't leave my studies and family for the sake of military training (or barracks slave duty).

What do you guys thing?

2. finlandwrc

I think the system works but if you have a job or go to university conscription shouldn't be forced on you but then I'm not a politics expert :slight_smile:

3. Daniel003

I think that if they did re enstate it then they would wait a few years so that kids who havent got spaces in universities or colleges are the first ones to be conscipted

4. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't be so sure. Back in the day, when conscription was mandatory, people were encouraged not to go to uni or get a job until their military service was over, and I don't think 17-19 year olds in their first year of university will be allowed to stay at home and study.

That is a possibility, although what I fear the most is military indoctrination of pro-government militants. Taking into account the head of the Argentinian Army is best friends with our extremely corrupt president, the first to join the mandatory service will surely be the members of the Campora (imagine it as a non militarized SA mixed with Hitler Youth).

5. DMark69

Having served in the US Army, I am for an all volunteer force. It is easier to lead and train people who are there because they want to be, instead of being forced to be there. Conscription/draft should be reserved for when we are actually in a war defending our country, and don't have enough volunteers.

6. Hexagon

I disagree wholeheartedly with conscription.