1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever had to come out to avoid akwardness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by partietraumatic, Aug 2, 2008.

1. partietraumatic

So this happened a few months ago but i thought i'd see if anyone else has had similar experiences

I was intrduced to this girl by a friend and we got on pretty well straight away. The next week at school people started drpping hints about her liking me...the usual really unsubtle school boy stuff: 'sooooo what do you think of her?' etc etc.
    My favourite one was when we were discussing me playing the guitar and my mate said 'has she seen you play?'
    'No she hasn't. Why?' I replied,
    'She'd love to see you play....'
    Since me and my boyfriend is a secret i was still supposedly straight and single lol.
    Eventually i decided i needed to tell her,as it was only fair,i didn't want her getting the impression that i was gonna ask her out at some point.
    So i was like 'ok i need to tell you something..im in a relationship...'
    'oh...'
    '....with [my boyfriends name]....'
    'OH wow.....aww thats cute'
    I was sooo happy when she took it well,and actually she is now probably my closest friend and we tell each other everything,so it all worked out well.

So,has anyone ever had to do something similar to avoid an uncomfortable situation?

2. -Michael-

This is wierd because it happened to me the other day.

My best friends and I were going to get randomly drunk on a field for the good ol' times.

And this girl (whos liked me for a good year) asks what im doing that night.
    So i invite her with us.

When me, one of my best friends and the girl (Lesley) are walking back from the shop.

L (best friends) is on the phone to her boyfriend and says...
    "Yer we're taking Henson to the gay bars next week"
    then leasley was like...

Heeennsoonnn!!!!!
    Why are you going to the gay bars...

I just laugh and say its a long story...
    "Why is it "
    "well its not really....im gay"

And she didnt believe me so when it was said again she was really shocked.

Then she went on about how ive broken her heart haha
    and how shes buzzing she has a gay friend....
    :slight_smile:

3. Trumpetplyer23

Erm, yeah.

I had to tell my close friend/crush that I was bisexual. She was new to my school and she only knew what our mutual friend (who, at that time didn't know either) had told her. This girl, my guy friend, and I had the same science class together. And my guy friend likes to tease me about girls, a lot. So I just thought it would be better to tell her, instead of her being told by a joke in science class.

4. eclipse

eclipse Guest

Heh. I wish I could could get away with a similar excuse. At my school, people already know that I've had a girlfriend and a boyfriend within the span of, well, not even a year. I suppose that's one downside of bisexuality!

I have however used the "I'm currently seeing someone" excuse before, but that was just to get someone off my case.

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sort of, yes. I'd been chatting with two of my friends, a girl and a guy, and the guy left. Another girl, who I'm friendly with but not close to, came up and asked if I was going out with the guy. Apparently a lot of people were convinced we were together. I looked at the friend who was still there (who I'm out to) and we both cracked up laughing, and Heather kept asking "Well, are you? Why are you laughing?" Eventually I just looked at her and said "Heather, I'm gay." She looked taken aback for a second, but then said "Oh. OK. Well, he is kind of feminine." One of the best reactions I could have hoped for, she was totally fine with it.

6. Paralyzer

So my ex girlfriend broke up with me, suprisingly, for another girl. And then she felt bad and realized she wanted me back. She cried and begged and I refused because the relationship was awkward when it lasted, I don't know what she liked so much about it. But she told all her friends, and they all hunted me down and tried to drill it in my head that I hurt her (when she broke up with me) and that I should give her another chance...

Well, I came out to her and she forgot all about it :grin: SMILES
    And.. she's probably the only friend I have that's moderately close to me and accepts me.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

This isn't like the other stories in this thread, but I still think it fits.

I was once hosting an auction for my TV Production class with one of my friends. I wanted to somehow come out that night on local TV, but I was worried that the opportunity would never arise. Luckily, it did. We were talking about a bread maker and we were trying to think of adjectives to describe it. My friend started combining adjectives. I don't remember his first one, but on the second one, he accidentally combined fantastic and magnificent to make "fagnificent". This is on live TV, mind you. It became my duty to save him, so I said, "I'm pretty sure you can't say that on television... but I'm gay, so you have my permission. Now, this bread maker..." and we went back to talking about the breadmaker. It was the most seamless coming out I've ever experienced. Another friend told me that when I said that, there was a moment of silence in the control room and everyone's mouths dropped. The director (who was a friend of mine, my age) then said, "Can we cut that out?" And another friend of mine said, "No, this is live."

Since then, I've only gotten positive feedback about my hosting. No one has mentioned my coming out, but they still complimented me and my friend. Apparently, the auction generated the most money during the time my friend and I were hosting.

8. Nick

Gamer am I, that is awesome. It made me smile and also gave me a bit of hope that there is still some good left in the world :slight_smile:

I'll post in here again when I have had a situation that would fit in here (which should be happening soon)

#8 Nick, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  9. Tim

Tim

I guess in a way... one of my friends ended up calling me her soulmate in 8th grade, and she seriously meant it, and in an attempt to spare her feelings of me saying sorry, I'm not interested or such, I ended up telling her I was gay... through email... 3 days after school ended. So although it caused an awkwardness that lasted the summer, it spared years of awkwardness along the road, at least in my eyes... lol

Gamer: Didn't you post about that not too long ago? XD

10. Green Eyes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, Kind of.

I was at a birthday party nearly two months ago. And at one point, a girl comes over and asks if I want to dance with her. And I replied that I didn't, not because she was a girl, but simply because I just didn't wish to dance with anybody that night.

Then, one of my friends heard this and he thought that I didn't want to dance with her because I'm gay. And so, he asked me if he could tell her why I didn't want to dance with her. And I just said no problem. So he told her that I was into guys and therefor didn't want to dance with her.

And then, she went over to one of my classmates and told him. And that's how I came out to my entire class without even knowing xD

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member