1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to be 100% sure of your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, May 1, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm starting to think I'll never be 100% sure of my sexuality. I refuse to come out to more people until I'm 100% sure of my sexuality. I'm starting to think I'll just have to be closeted and alone for the rest of my life.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Well, even now I'm sometimes doubting it. But I think I'm sure to maybe 85%.
    You can't know what'll happen when you come out. So many possibilities.Your sexuality can change, that's true.
    You should be the person you are now not the person you could be som.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's call our labels "working titles": good enough to move forward without necessarily committing to something permanent...

4. awesomeness

You can always just say "I like girls", instead of coming out as a specific label, if you're not sure.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's possible, but I don't think most people are completely, absoultely, without question certain when they come out. Sort of like the standard for criminal conviction: beyond a reasonable doubt.

I could also see the "I'm not going to come out until I'm 100% certain" as a flimsy excuse to justify staying in the closet :slight_smile: That's not meant as a judgment; I think all of us, when we were closeted, came up with one or another bogus excuse to justify staying in the closet. It's just something worth giving thought to.

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm planning to do that for online dating, where no one will notice if I change my label.
    I know it's kind of an excuse. I tried coming out as gay when I was fourteen, but no one believed me. This made me have huge panic attacks and it started my whole sexual obsession.

I know this makes me sound wimpy, but I just don't have enough defenses. I think being more sure of myself would help me deal with those annoying skeptics. I'll probably still be annoyed by them, but I won't question myself or get panic attacks.

I'm also scared of dealing with real homophobia. If I can't deal with those skeptics I can't imagine dealing with real homophobes.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing wrong with coming out as "basically just definitely not straight," by the way.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 100% sure that it is mercurial, dynamic, and all-around screwy. :wink:

9. Cass

I'm not 100% sure and I'm only out to people who need to know
    Exaples: best friend, boyfriend, a few other people

No one who is related to me needs to know unless I date a girl. But I suppose that's my horrible excuse to stay in the closet

10. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I doubt there is a way to be completely assured of your sexuality unless you have evaluated and learned every last detail about every person in the world. Even so, does it really matter? If you are happy with a partner, it shouldn't matter about anyone else in the world :3

11. Siarad

I agree with most of the other posters. I am not sure of my sexuality. I would like to be able to say something like 85% into women, 15% into men but sexuality doesn't work like that either. I am not a great example as I'm actually still resolving the difference between liking someone as a person and being sexually attracted to them, having tried so long to convince myself I was attracted to men because I liked them as people...

I don't think we'll get to a comfortable place with labels until society has reached the place where it really doesn't mind or judge us on who we go out with, or when we go out with someone else... If society really didn't mind about this stuff we could change our mind without being labelled 'liars' or 'traitors' or anything else... We could just find out who we are and what we're about at our own pace.

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 100% sure...

I consider 'pansexual' to mean that I could potentially be attracted to someone of any gender...I can't see any reason that would change...

13. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am 100% sure that being confused is ok, as long as ur happy. I mean like I am 100% sure of my sexuality, but i am also 100% sure that not everyone has to be, the beauty of being different.

14. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I probably/am not 100% gay, but its as near as makes no difference.

15. Siarad

So, just to skew the topic slightly - what would people 'come out' as? In the un-idealistic world we currently live in? What would happen if one came out to one's parents as gay then later happened to fall for someone of the opposite gender- {it's unlikely} but no-one would believe them because they had come out as gay?

16. thekillingmoon

Over time, yes, it's possible. At first there can be a lot of uncertainty because it's scary to be different, especially when everyone expects you to be straight. Eventually you'll come to accept it and everything will fall into place in your head.

17. Don't worry, you are not alone about not knowing - Just look at all these responders who don't completely know themselves!

I am only about 90% sure myself and I know it's so aggravating, but I think maybe in due time, you'll be more and more and more sure of who you are. And please don't listen to those people who didn't believe you. They aren't worth your time and are just jerks. It's YOUR sexuality, remember that they can absolutely NOT determine it for you. They have no right to do so. But I do know how hard it is when people you think you can trust don't take the serious things you tell them seriously. I told some classmates in middle school about my desire to kill myself and they just thought I was some attention seeker. Yet, I still have suicidal thoughts years later. It's part of the reason why I am not letting anyone know about my sexuality yet, but don't do what I'm doing. We need to be ourselves no matter what other people say! Besides, they don't know you. And again, they had NO right to say what they did. It's one of my BIGGEST pet peeves when someone thinks they know you but they don't:rolle:

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's actually not that unlikely. As of this point the gay community has a tendency to be pretty biphobic, so there are a decent amount of people that identify as gay when they do actually have some feelings for the opposite sex. Furthermore a lot of people that lean one way or the other may just come out as their preference just so they don't have to explain it (since a lot of straight people just don't get anything but monosexuality).

And I assume you're asking what a person should come out as if they're fairly uncertain in their identity?

Frankly, just that, "I know I like ["x" sex], but I'm not 100% sure about ["y" sex] - maybe I like them, maybe I don't. So really, don't be shocked if I end up with either one of them."

#18 Browncoat, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  19. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I am still finding out new things about my sexuality. I think it is an ongoing process.

20. WheresTheFood

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've wonder edit his myself... But I know what everyone is going to say... You're 13, this is a phase. Sure, maybe... But this 'phase' has been going on for a while. I've decided I'm mostly gay, with straight tendencies. That doesn't make me bisexual, because straight people, mostly girls, are constantly finding the same sex attractive. Maybe not sexually, but aesthetically.