1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aliens

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, May 1, 2014.

?

Why haven't aliens visited Earth?

1. Faster than light travel is impossible, and shortcuts like wormholes can't be used

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Life is so rare that they're probably in other galaxies

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. Aliens don't exist

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. They don't want to interfere

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. They think we are immoral, and want to stay away

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. They are so different from us they don't recognise us as living

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. They haven't noticed us yet

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  8. All civilisations destroy themselves before achieving space travel

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  9. Other

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. Hexagon

I think most people would agree aliens have not come to earth. However, I do believe intelligent life exists somewhere out there in the universe. So why haven't they visited us? I know there are plenty of good reasons, I'm just curious as to what people think is the most likely.

2. Yosia

They are like us and havent found a way to visit us? ^.^

3. Siarad

They have but exist in a way that we are barely/incapable of registering?

Or intelligent alien life is so rare that it would currently take too long for any of us to visit each other?

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They probably exist, but are too far away to visit us.

Even if they did, why in the seven hells would they not show themselves?

5. Joelouis

I'm sure it's undeniable that they exist but they've never visited Earth.

I mean it's hard to think why they'd make their way across trillions of miles of space just to scare some daft old git for ten minutes then fuck off back to their home world.
    It would blow the whole idea of them being a race of super-intelligent beings out of the water.

6. Sitri

Why would they show themselves? These would be beings of immense power. What benefit could they gain wasting energy on us? Any interaction would be horribly primitive, and in the end, we can't offer them anything. Do you go and visit every sheep herd you pass to let them know you exist?

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I feel they are among s or have visited us.. but we're to up our arses to acknowledged their existence... or we captured them and experimented like we would.

8. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe they are dumb? Like just wild animals instead of a species like humans

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if they interfere, and humans are incapable of knowing? To cover their tracks, they alter things beyond human understanding. Evidence is thus (almost?) impossible to produce. Plenty people create fake evidence, and it's getting bloody silly now.

10. Techno Kid

I should of clicked other...
    I think that we most likely are in "the sticks" of the universe too far from other advanced civilisations. They don't know there is anything worth seeing in "these parts".

Either that or they don't want to get involved in the development of primitive civilisations.

#11 Techno Kid, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  11. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're already here. Viruses, bacteria...

12. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you need to watch more of the scifi channel then because some of the shows on there showcase that aliens have in fact visited earth and they show infared cameras of their studies. I cannot confirm that aliens have or have not visited our planet but the scifi channel seems to believe they have enough proof that they have. Interesting things to study.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they haven't despite having detected us, it's probably because they don't want to interfere. But if they HAVE visited and just stayed secret, it's likely a combo of this, plus some action on the government's part to cover them up.

14. Kat 5

They see us. They don't talk to us because they can change the course of our development as a society. They don't want to do that.

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Human civilization is a ridiculously small dot on the timespan of the currently devised estimates of the universe's age.

Space is unimaginably large.

I went ahead and did the calculations and came up with more than 500,000 years per current technology to get to the nearest solar system, let alone the nearest solar system capable of supporting carbon-based life (and obviously ignoring the impossibility of the logistics in actually doing this). So, you'd need a civilization with technology a hell of a lot better than this (if that's even possible), therefore meaning it would have to have survived that long. Then take into account the length of space in between everything .....

16. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually disagree with this totally. I do believe that aliens have visited in the past. I feel the proof is in religious texts and in ancient structures around the world.

There were several cultures around the world that could not have had contact with each other that developed very similar gods and started building pyramids all at the same time. Most are built with stones that we would struggle to move today, and they moved them without having invented the wheel yet. And there are other ancient structures that were supposedly made with stone tools that have holes bored in them that are spaced and sized to within a couple thousanths of an inch. These cultures could not have done this without help.

Then when you read the texts or look at their images of "gods" they often come from the sky, rise up using bright lights or fire, and though humanoid don't quite appear human. This could very easily be explanations of aliens and their ships. Keep in mind that at the time they had no frame of reference to describe a rocket other than it went into the sky in a streak of flame.

I know to some people I may sound crazy, but is it really any crazier than believing in an invisible man in the sky?

So I conclude that they have been here and there are two possible reasons they haven't been back.
    1) They were disappointed with what they found here.
    2) Interstellar flight takes a long damn time and they haven't made the round trip yet.

For our sake I hope it isn't number 2. Look at our history and you will see that every time cultures that have meet with different levels of technology it hasn't worked out well for those less technologically advanced.

17. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yes your right, many cultures speak about Gods, who come from the sky.. like a lot of "Prophets" they get massages from beings from above etc etc.. Its all so similar!!

18. Ridiculous

Single choice poll, but I would go for multiple answers:

Faster than light travel is impossible, and shortcuts like wormholes can't be used (maybe)
    Life is so rare that they're probably in other galaxies
    Aliens don't exist
    They don't want to interfere (maybe, unlikely)
    They think we are immoral, and want to stay away (maybe, very unlikely)
    They are so different from us they don't recognise us as living (maybe, probably unlikely)
    They haven't noticed us yet
    All civilisations destroy themselves before achieving space travel

19. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

What science says we live on the outside of the Milky Way Galaxy which is relatively out there in the universe compared to where there are high concentrations of galaxies in the center of the universe. So most likely they haven't noticed us, I mean, Voyager I is only getting out of the solar system and into uncharted territory, so we haven't made any huge attempts... besides all those SETI satellites sending out random transmissions and looking for alien intelligence sending us transmissions