1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some girls want a "gay best friend"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, May 2, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So I am an open gay guy (after much fighting with myself) anyway I got asked by this girl I knew if I would be "Her gay best friend" .... Firstly I ignore all fashion and dress my own way so I bare no resemblance to the stereotype (I dress kinda pop-punkie if that makes no sense, like Band Shirts and skinny jeans or those awesome tartain punk pants with the zips etc. with boots or converse ) so I don't look like an extra out of the H&M catalogue.

Its kinda objectifying isn't it? I mean she assumes I will want to be her friend, doesn't friendship have to be earned anyway?

2. Cass

Gay guys make GREAT friends for girls. A lot of my male friends are gay/bi
    I have no idea why, you guys just rock. Sorry it feels objectifying though

3. timo

My guess is something along the lines of "My best friend is gay look how accepting I am of gay people!!!!!" to show the world what a wonderful person she is for letting you in her life. Because if it's just because you're gay... that's no healthy basis for a friendship.

Or I might be a fucking pessimist.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay guys make GREAT friends for girls. A lot of my male friends are gay/bi

That should be more of a coincidence than a reason though...I mean presumably you like those friends of yours for all sorts of reasons and I'm guessing literally NONE of those reasons are because they like cock.

5. thekillingmoon

It could be for a number of reasons. My guess is even straight women don't always want to be hit on by guys. Sometimes they want to have a guy they can hang out with without having to worry about him wanting to get in her pants. Straight men often fail at that simple task.

6. Caillin

I agree, plus in my experience it is really uncomfortable with them constantly flirting and a lot of times they dont pick up that its making you uncomfortable.

7. Cuz like OMG they just want to get their fabulous ass nails done with sexy colors and go on a shopping spree with us. OMG WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?!?!!!!!!!

LOL in all seriousness, most of them think that we would share the same interests as them like shopping or just typical stuff. I have a lot of female friends, but it's just plain coincidence and I was friends with most of them before I came out.

Some of them just want guy friends who don't want the sexual connection.

8. Cass

Valid point
    Most weren't out when we first became friends now that I think about it

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile:

I think it's because of the whole feminine gay thing. I mean if you think about it, if you have a gay guy who isn't feminine at all, he's A) not very likely to be thought of as someones 'gay BFF' and also is probably not going to make a very interesting friend to the group of feminine girls either!

You could at this point suggest that there are feminine straight people, and their are, but I know a lot of people would worry that the feminine straight guy might fall for one of the girls and ruin a friendship and screw with the group dynamic which is less likely with a gay guy.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I hate how straight girls objectify gay men, It's disgusting. Now all gay dudes are fem!

Admittedly though, I do prefer gay friends. But It's generally because It's nice to have a guy friend who can just hang out without you worrying about them hitting on you or falling for you (And not all straight guys will either, but it generally hasn't been my experience). I also find it easier to understand other LGBT members, even if we don't have the same attractions.

11. LiquidSwords

If girls feel more comfortable around me because they know I don't want to fuck them then I'm perfectly happy with that.

But it's different than being asked to be someone's 'gay best friend' which implies that the main, possibly only, reason you're friends is that your gay, which is no friendship at all, she's just 'collected' you.

If a girl asked me to be her 'gay friend' I'd tell her quite bluntly never to refer to me as such again, let alone introduce me to other people like that, gross.

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It only happens to feminine gays; it's probably because those girls see them as non-threatening.
    Chicks like that enjoy collecting "minorities" like Pokèmon.

13. Colours

Haha, when I came out to my best friend she was totally excited about having a gay best friend. She had always wanted one.

Then one night I was out with her and some other girls who she knew, and they were all like OMG will you be my gay best friend too???

But I do think it's mostly just fun and jokes.

14. blueberrymuffin

You don't want to be an accessory to show off, so i would turn that down or if she starts introducing you as her "gay best friend", leave her.

Actually i've noticed this from several hetero guys as well - though they don't ask like that, it's obvious they become more interested when they find out you're gay. In 2014, at least outside small towns, being gay or having a gay friend is considered kinda cool/popular.

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because they're far less apt to hit on them. It's as simple as that, really.

Not necessarily, actually. :wink:

#15 Browncoat, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  16. apostrophied

I'm currently accepting applications for the position. Please send CV and cover letter, provide 3 references, and write a two-page essay on the latest trends for women's spring wear. :wink:

Lol jk. I think it's probably because gay guys don't hit on girls and it enables girls to get closer to guys and to figure them out in a "non-threatening" way. I don't think it's done in a way to objectify said best friend, but if it is, the girl in particular is probably an idiot and objectifies all her friends for different reasons (looks, money, grades, etc).

My sister always wanted a gay best friend, but no luck. Then her female friend came out to her as gay and the joke was that it wasn't quite what my sister had in mind for a gay best friend, but she'd take it lol.

17. Beetle

Probably because of media like TV and movies who have those type of relationships and play them up, and the stereotype that gay men are feminine and non-threatening to the straight girls, and will do things like shopping with them. I've heard it all before. They probably also want a guy friend that won't hit on them, like others said, which happens all too often. The objectifying thing is awful. Be friends with people because you like them as people, not because they're gay, black, ect.

18. Rainbow Girl

That about sums it up for me.

19. Skov

I'm mainly friends with girls because I get along with them the best and generally have more in common with them. If someone I don't know very well mentions me as their gay best friend, I will switch into the bitch stereotype real fast.

20. PrincessEliza

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Because they know just how awesome gay people are