1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the worst job you have ever had?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, May 2, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

Mine was working in Poundland for a few month a couple of years ago. I was on job seekers and they made me apply for ANY job even outside of my degree qualifications and after getting forced (or cut off by the advisor) to apply for them, I was offered a full time job and under the rules I had to take it (you can't turn down job-offers) .

So I had to work 8 hours a day 6 days a week (I also did Saturdays for the money) on minimum wage and it was so depressing, the customers treated you like crap when you were on the till, the manager was a prat and hated me because I pointed out a mistake he made with some stock checks so after that whenever he was on duty I was always made to stack shelves :-(

I don't know but just working so hard at uni and doing all those placements and my flight training got me wound up working there and it was horrible

Edit - I remember my worst experience there. The thing with Poundland is its dirt cheap everything is £1 and somehow they manage to do electronics, generally bits for computers etc. that are no-brand Chinese imports, they do no quality control so buying say a USB hub or a bluetooth dongle is a lottery if they actually work. This guy brought one, it didn't work and he could in theory get a refund, so I got the manager (not that one) to deal with it and apparently that wasn't good enough, I had to give him his pound back immediately and he started screaming at me. Thankfully this manager was alight and she got security to throw him out.

Also every day when I was stacking shelves or something, some idiot always asked me "How much is xxxx" a million times.

#1 Beware Of You, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine was a warehouse job I did after I was made redundant from my first proper full time job. The place was boring. The people were boring ( all they ever talked about was football) and the job had zero challenge and was boring as hell. I was actually there longer than I should have been and ended up clinically depressed.

I knew however that only I was keeping myself there (job security and comfort zone thing) so I eventually forced myself to leave and I never looked back.

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. Foxface

easy

I worked for 1.5 months in a locked children's home. The kids were mean, nasty and violent and the upper management did not believe in consequences

4. zenya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    worst job was as flower farmer, when I was a kid as my mother got frustrated with me miss the bus to school on purpose all the time so she made a deal with the next door neighbour that if I was home after 9:30 he pick me up and make me work with him and his wife on the farm I learn to hate Erica flowers

5. Beware Of You

Is that Juvie? In England secure homes are places for juvenile offenders but since the courts do what they can to avoid sending kids away from their family to these places they are a last resort so they are full of the most violent and troubled kids imaginable

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was given a job as a door to door sales man which I had to knock on people's doors saying I was there to inspect there loft installation. If the lofts wasn't up to speck I would take pictures of the lofts then get them basically to get this company to install new installation for commission. We were even encouraged to lie to people about it. So basically I quit without making a penny.

7. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Easy answer. It's the job I'm technically still at. Grocery Store. My bosses are soulless, and Ive been working there for years. I still get horrible shifts, minimum wage, and recently fractured my kneecap because they gave me a physically impossible task that was too much for my leg.

8. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read an article about a girl in a newspaper who graduated with a geology degree, but couldn't find work and had to go on job seekers. Then the government literally forced her to go and work in pound land, or she would face having her JSA cut. It sounds absolutely awful. She said she was forced to do unpaid work as well as her work experience that the government told her was mandatory, along with the fact she was treated poorly, which seems to be a common theme running through the way the management at poundland treat their staff. No wonder she's challenging the governments, 'work for your benefits schemes', way too conservative and 'daily mail' for my liking!

P.S. Don't suppose you've seen their range of... lets say, 'pleasure toys' have you? I couldn't believe it when I saw them, on the adult section in full reach of small of children :O

My worst job, was probably doing groundworks. Digging out footings and trenches for the foundations of buildings. Not pleasant when you're stood on a muddy building site, during freezing cold weather and horizontal rain!

9. Derivative

Derivative Guest

Working in fast food, the job itself is not bad and you get good hours during holidays which was ideal for me as a student. A few of the customers however think it's within their rights to talk down to the staff just because of the job. Countless times I have been tempted to shake those people and tell them "if people weren't working here, you would have to get off your lazy ass and cook something". Maybe other people feel better about themselves by putting others down? I don't understand it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. blueberrymuffin

In and of itself, detasseling at 13-14. That's where you go thru the corn fields, removing the stalks, which are often taller than you (at that age) and had bugs all over. It was extremely hot in afternoons and so wet in mornings you'd be soaking and shivering. Walking all day was quite tiring and since it was a bunch of teenagers who knew each other, there was often fights. Nowadays i think they have mexicans do it.

But thanks to the super asshole boss, a movie theater job was worse. They'd overschedule, so after a 15 min drive, i'd be sent home after 2 hours, or sent outside to scrub the rocks in the parking lot. Frequently we were assigned to do things not at all trained for, and other days they'd underschedule. There'd be 20 customers lined up for tickets plus concessions and i'd be the only worker, then the assistant manager would come by snapping her fingers rudely saying "You need to move your ass!" I considered having a meltdown like in "The Wrestler" but waited till later to quit.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The job I was working when I joined EC. This was one of the things that has led me to question whether my disability does prevent me from working like a normal person does, as I burned out of that so fast. It didn't help that my Pointy-Haired-Boss was an egomaniacal, self-righteous, power-trip asshole who wasn't even out of his 20's yet but looked 45. Every day went something like this:

[​IMG]

I've since realized that if I can't fly, then I need to start my own business or go for a management degree and hope that I can get hired straight into management, because I cannot have a boss breathing down my neck from 9-5 and I really can't stand being micromanaged. In order for me to survive in an environment like that, I have to be the boss. Otherwise, knowing how I tend to deal with assholes, I probably wouldn't last long.

#11 AwesomGaytheist, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  12. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I used to wash cars every weekend at this car sales place and I think I almost froze to death several times. It only lasted for 3 months as I was told I was no longer need. I was relieved.

13. Higs

Spreading publicity pamphlets.. specifically into mailboxes... behind locked outside doors.
    Having to ring people at 8-11 am and having yelled at for waking them up or just getting ignored was definitely the best job experience for me.

14. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg, the grocery store I was at before was the worst!! The manager didn't care about anyone, and hired anybody that came into the store! Our store was so dirty, especially in the back room and we have even had a stabbing back there too! And behind our store as well! Not to mention everyone was on drugs in that store too. It was the worst!

15. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I quit the rat race around seven years ago after spending far too many years as a 'bean counter' (accounts). Not an enjoyable job.

16. IsThisAName

Working at an arts and crafts store. You'd think it'd be easy. No. Cranky moms and crabby grandma's coming in pissed because their 40% coupon doesn't work on clearance items. Bitch, you already got it on sale, why do you need 40% more?!

I also worked at a video store last summer (yes, they still exist) and my boss was a prick. Said I was "impulsive" and verbally harassed me often. I bit my tongue and put up with it and he fired me before I got the chance to quit.

17. Beware Of You

Well their sex stuff is just Durex condoms in boxes of 2 and lube. Its not really anything wrong

18. LisaDawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mine was a CSR that answered calls for infomercials. I love to talk but reading the same script over and over got soooo booorring!!!!!! Lol! I also had to work the night shift a lot and got prank callers most of the time. Some people think they can block their number but forget that when you call a 800 number the company gets a list of all the telephone numbers that called it. All we had to do was report the time of the call and they could easily trace the prank caller. What a dumb-dumb, Lol! :slight_smile:

19. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quiznos dishwasher. Ugh...

20. Beetle

McDonald's. It was a crappy one too, with an absent minded store manager who didn't run the place very well.