1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are people homophobic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, May 2, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I mean why are so many people homophobic? What have we done to be seen as sub human by some people ?

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

We're not mainstream.
    And some people can't handle this.
    Just my opinion.:slight_smile:

3. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

Yeah, I agree with CharlsOn. A lot of people hate anything that isn't like the majority and as we as the LGBT community stick out of the crowd for being different we get abuse from the sheep lovers.

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Becaure they're stupid.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's because straight people think gay relationships and sex is weird. Just like I think straight relationships and sex is weird.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it comes down to not being able to understand and tolerate differences, since the obvious gay boys at school were harassed mercilessly for their interests, friends, expressions, and such. There wasn't even a good reason for it, since they were harming no one. The fact that they so thoroughly crossed lines, and seemingly without a care in the world was enough to take it as a challenge, and the guys just couldn't have that, could they?

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because of patriarchy. Homophobia will not ever end unless gender oppression also ends. Anti-gay male attitudes are directly rooted in misogyny based on a disgust for the penetrated partner. Anti-gay female attitudes are directly rooted in misogyny based on an entitlement to female bodies for sexual purposes and a belief that lesbians and bisexual women don't have "real sex" unless a penis is involved.

8. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Often as well, because a lot of people base their morals and beliefs on ancient superstitious texts and tomes written by primitive middle eastern idiotic goat herders.

When your world outlook is dictated by sensibilities of an ancient primitive culture who think the world came to be by magic and had a very backward view of the natural world, it's no wonder they are full of the same ignorance, hate and prejudices those desert dwelling tribes had.

Once these people catch up to the 21st century, we will all be better off.

Happy days :slight_smile:

9. AAASAS

Christianity, Islam, Judaism, the list goes on.

Any kind of faith in something that delegates rules but doesn't have any proof of it's existence.

10. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Please don't bash on people's religions. Faith is an intrinsic quality of a human being; even atheists believe in something based on faith rather than reason. I am not religious, but still.

Religious homophobia is in a sense justified considering the period they were written in.

As for the modern homophobes, those are just gays who haven't realised it, or uncultured rabble.

11. Daydream Harp

Because ignorance mostly.

12. Rexmond

People fear what they cannot understand. And because of Religion.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone's gay there just in denial

14. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religion, fear, ignorance and the cross product of all three.

15. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I feel like people treat it like some sort of taboo thing instead of a fact, which it is. The church dehumanizes it, people find it awkward to talk about, and people don't actually know anything about it. It isn't really taught to anybody, it's not like the church is going to *ahem* "preach" what it actually is, and schools don't ever take the liberty to make even a single lesson about it. That and homophobia has just been a thing because people dislike what's different, and then more and more people start to follow suit. Meh RAAAINBOOOWS

16. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    homophobes are just scared of what they don't understand. there are also deeply closeted ppl who are themselves homophobes because they don't want to accept it.

17. aishoujo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that religion does promote homophobia, but it's really the way people interpret it. Because the Bible says they won't reach the Kingdom of Heaven, people lose their shit and think that's some reason to persecute them for. On the other hand, I've seen some pretty good Catholic-Christians who are A okay with it. And I think one denomination recognizes it, has their own female pastors and everything! (Starts with an E...)

It's not only religion, but ignorance. Ignorance to happiness. Ignorance to the fact that something which will make you happy, may not make me happy.

Why are you straight? Someone will ask, and the former cannot answer without bringing in their God or their biology. But should we really love someone because they have the 'right' body parts?

---------- Post added 2nd May 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

"People fear what they don't understand."

I completely agree with you on that!

18. Sitri

Jealousy.

I wish. But yeah, people have always challenged that which is different from the norm. It wasn't too long ago that one could be punished for being left handed.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not ignorance, no. I don't think that if people "just knew more about us" they would suddenly become humanistic. I know it's a hard fact to recognize, because we have a dysfunctional love of giving people the benefit of the doubt, but some people really are evil.

20. shadowraptor

I don't think it's ignorance either. People are DEFINITELY aware of the LGBTQ population. I think it's just that they're afraid, not necessarily of the people themselves but what they do behind closed doors. There are still people who are racist, and sexist, and it's taken a long time to break race or gender barriers and establish equality, and sexuality is no exception to that.

I think it just boils down to being gay is "taboo" for them.