1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorta-masculine-ish lesbians

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Milonov, May 2, 2014.

1. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello, guys - or, rather, girls who compete with guys :3

Are there any butch lesbians that ain't so... extreme? Like, masculine, but feminine enough so people could tell them apart from males.

I am making a lesbian character for a story of mine who is butch-esque so I'd like to have pics of such girls.

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm considered a soft butch, so yeah we exist.

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I'm not very butch. More tomboyish. I think. Sometimes:roflmao:

4. Lipstick Leuger

I am sure you didn't mean to come off insensitive, but it is to say 'they are competing with men' and 'are there any who can be told apart from men?'. Just to let you know.

I always can tell Butches from males. They not only look, but act, totally different. How can you think they are men? Butches are not like, nor are they competing, with males. I think this is something that males like to think, but it's not true. They may feel more comfortable in guys clothes, or maybe have short hair(only some of them) but they don't want to be men nor do they have the typical male attitude.

To answer your question however, yes, there are many types of Butches. All butches have female masculinity, but not all of them have short hair or dress in typically masculine attire. For instance, think of Ellen and Rachael Maddow. They are more soft butch. Even on the L word, their idea of a butch was Shane, who was a soft butch. You actually do not see hard butches, or stone butches as characters.

5. Beetle

I don't like labels, but I guess I would be softer butch. I have a similar haircut as Shane from the L Word and some people told me I kinda look like her. I dress in more masculine clothes...leather jackets, biker boots, button down collared shirts, but I don't dress as "masculine" as harder butches. Though, everyone is different. I've seen butches that are softer and more feminine and some that dress in clothes that are fit for men and carry themselves like men.

But yeah, we exist. Gay folk are just as diverse as straight folk and the way we dress doesn't define our sexuality or labels.

6. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Right, makes sense.

Any pictures? Preferrably with long hair.

7. zenya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All labelling aside sorta-masculine lesbians are a location thing for example when I lived in alice springs in Australia the lesbian culture there was very diverse the only thing their had in common was their sexuality while where i live now is an army town so a large percentage of the lesbian community are overly masculine as if compensating, not sure what for??

8. Im Just Me

If it's for a character, just do some googling. The images you find don't technically have to be lesbians, since the look of lesbians is just as diverse and the look of straight people. You can't look at someone and know, so you really don't have to base your character of someone who is a lesbian.
    I'd try some google searches for "soft butch", some different searches with the word "androgynous" or maybe just "masculine women" or whatever, try some different terms.

I did some quick googling for you, and these are three styles and looks that may be good for inspiration:
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/37/72/6d/37726d54b350abbbbd14977f51ee3e3e.jpg

http://cdn.okcimg.com/php/load_okc_...728109121497.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

http://9outof10.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/model03.jpg

From what you're saying, something kinda like the third one may be good? She doesn't have short hair, it's a "woman's haircut" and she is dressed fashionably, but at the same time something about her choice of clothes isn't very girly, it's a bit boy-ish in a classy sort of way. You wouldn't look at her and think "oh she's a lesbian" but if she told you, you'd maybe not be totally surprised, either. (Not condoning assuming people's sexualities by their looks, but it does happen so just trying to give an example from that sort of person's point of view.)

9. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I'm fairly masculine with my personality. My appearance? Well, people say I look like Shawn from Boy Meets World. He's a "pretty boy" so I suppose I'm not *that* masculine looking.

10. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fairly androgynous in terms of image/character but I always look quite feminine regardless because I have one of those faces, even if I tried a really short haircut I'd probably just look like a pixie!

11. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't look masculine other than in musculature, which is fairly noticeable on my frame. I wear men's clothes and tend to stand and sit more like a guy than a girl. I don't believe in dresses and I have a very low voice for a woman. But I'm not butch. I have long hair. Most people can deduce my sexuality in a heartbeat, though.

12. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some soft butches still have long hair, most don't but a few do.

And I see there are a few here......(!) I am a total fem and people usually assume I am straight. I hear "So.....you have a boyfriend?" quite a bit, but no no I love soft butches <3 :icon_redf

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Leave the butch lesbians alone

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 08:52 PM ----------

I'll help out , thought you were bashing at first . Frankie from lip service might be what your looking for ?

[​IMG]

#13 stocking, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  14. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes! Most definitely! I can imagine my novel's character looking like this, but with darker skin and hair as well as more Ethiopid or perhaps Aryo-Dravidian (as in, brown) features.

Oh, and sorry for being rude, I can be a bit homophobic at times even though I respect you guys greatly.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't really fault you for it, from what you posted it sounds less like you're deliberately trying to offend people and more like you just don't know the right terms to use. Lesbians typically don't see themselves as competing with men, and butches usually don't see themselves as looking like men. From what I've noticed butch/femme tends to be more of a spectrum, with completely butch women on one side, and lipstick lesbians on the other side. In the middle are tomboys, Chapstick lesbians and soft butches. A google search for soft butch turned up this image, which sounds like what you're going for.
    [​IMG]

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's ok I understand now :slight_smile:

17. Liquorice

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just make the character up. The Lesbian Police aren't going to come banging on your door if she's not modeled after a Real Lesbian.