1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, May 3, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think that older LGBTQA.... people often get forgotten about or left out?

When I've done research into many aspects of the LGBT people, I've noticed that a large majority of info tends to targeted at younger people (say mid 20's or younger). There especially seems to be a lot of info for those under 21. This is apparent when I just google various LGBT topics. Being 34 and only truly accepting and embracing being bisexual within the last year, the first thing I did was look more into the information. This is where I first noticed this.

I've seen lots of instances of people only discovering or accepting their sexuality at older ages ( say older than 25, even into 30's and 40's and beyond). Do you feel there is a degree of disproportion here and if so, what do you believe the cause is?

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that information for queer folks is more targeted to young people, which I'm defining to be those in their adolescent years or in their early 20s. I also think that the queer culture is youth-oriented, and I claim, perhaps controversially, that our youth obsession in the queer culture is way more dysfunctional than youth obsession in the rest of society.

I mean, we have gay men who on a regular basis refer to 30 as "gay death," and gay men in their 20s are feeling "old." Everybody seems to want to be 21 but look like they are 15-16, because the objects of their desires are ephebophiles. It's so sick, I can't even take it...

I dream for a day where people 25 and over won't feel like their lives are already over if they aren't straight.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that it is the youth obsession which is a problem. Considering the occurrence of alternative sexualities is most likely the same in each generation, that leaves a large fraction of the LGBT community unseen or unheard.

However, in the case of online forums like EC, it just might be older people are overall underrepresented, both gay and straight.

4. Emulator

It is disproportionate. However, that's probably because most people believe that sexuality becomes evident at adolescence and remains that way from then on. Support groups consisting of or targeted towards youths tend to do so because they can reach out to those who 'require the most help', which is not necessarily so, but unfortunately is what they think.