1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is your gaydar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MessieM, May 3, 2014.

1. MessieM

I honestly have not had huge amounts of experience testing out my gaydar. But, I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous but it is so true, I watched the film Juno the night before Ellen Page came out. And I swear I immediately knew she was gay AND I also I guessed that another actress in it Olivia Thirlby (gorgeous) was gay, and was RIGHT. Well, bisexual but you know...

But, maybe that was just a night in which my gaydar had pretty good reception. I have had some complete embarrassments over my supposed "detection skills", for example when I thought this guy was totally in the homosexual zone, before he started taking rather aggressive "advances" towards me. However, I knew that Cara Delvingne might be slightly gay, even before I knew she had a girlfriend.

How about you? Had any lucky guesses, or do you believe it is down to "homosexual intuition"?

2. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It can be pretty good, but it doesn't actually work all the time. I actually got a gayish vibe from Raven Simone once. And I was right about that. I also got a gay vibe from a long-haired girly girl and I was right about that as well.

3. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

The other thing to keep in mind is being able to read people can be as much a curse as a blessing. It is far better to talk about things than make assumptions. Just because someone is gay does not mean they are ready to deal with it. You can get into a lot of trouble jumping to conclusions. Even if the conclusions are correct.

---------- Post added 3rd May 2014 at 11:35 AM ----------

Oh and I would say I am pretty good at telling. It has not really been all that helpful to be honest.

4. pane123

pane123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    A few people have made impressions that I was gay, because I didn't look at women. But that was just due to being mocked as ugly as a youngster, hence lack of eye contact, so it's not always as clear as it seems.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Quite good considering I recently signed up for a online dating site and found 4 guys I had suspected listed as bi/gay. I try to avoid making decisions quickly, and sometimes I've been wrong for straight guys who are in long-term relationships (they seem to be much more comfortable in their mascuilinity).

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It would be nice if straight guys had a gaydar.

7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do people with gaydar have like predator vision where straight guys show up blue, straight girls pink, bi people purple and homosexual people rainbow :slight_smile:

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unless they're extremely obvious, as in walking stereotypes, or draw my attention by being attractive to me, I probably wouldn't care to figure someone's orientation out. If there's someone I've had prolonged contact with, the chances of little things piling up and making me go, "Hmmm" increase.

There's also a "gay look" that's hard to explain; it has to do with a guy's facial features, especially their eyes, but this could be an example of confirmation bias on my part.

9. 741852963

I cannot tell at all with women. If you'd have asked me in the 90s I would have thought Ellen was straight.

To be honest I was shocked when Jodie Foster came out - I really would never have guessed and i don't think it was "obvious" as people have said, she isn't butch in any way to me.

And besides, you have so many straight women who are challenging the norms of gender. Its not at all uncommon to see groups of perfectly feminine looking and sounding women enjoying a Starbucks with their friends whilst discussing the football league tables! Likewise you have plenty of straight mothers who are more comfortable having short hair and wearing jeans and hooded sweatshirts! Likewise you have lesbians who love fashion and makeup.

So to me lesbians are invisible unless they tell me!

10. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mine is awful. It may just be because I'm always wrapped up in myself all the time but I couldn't tell that 2 people(guys) I walk home with EVERYDAY were crushing on the same person(guy) who also walked home with us. This went on for about a month.

11. 741852963

No, I'd agree with you. Some gay men do have a certain look around the eyes (arched eyebrows and open eyes perhaps?). Personally I think its probably like a body-language thing rather than something innate. I'd hazard a guess those who spend a lot of time around women subconsciously "mimic" their posture, mannerism, facial expressions etc. So they may smile or "hold their eyes" in a more feminine way. Just a theory though.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting. I've always thought the chances of certain gay men having features that could be described as neotenous played just as big a role as "female" mannerisms. For example, this model has a common look. I'm not sure about "open eyes", but they do seem larger, and sometimes more "somber", if that makes sense?

13. 741852963

Yes. They also get a free shoulder-mounted plasma cannon. Generous folk those Predators!

---------- Post added 3rd May 2014 at 12:30 PM ----------

I don't think its a definite rule though. For example I think the actor Chris Pine has quite soft and sombre eyes, fuller feminine lips and arched eyebrows and he is obviously straight.

14. photoguy93

I think that mine never "seemed to work" because I was pretty gullible and innocent, so I totally believed people when they said "so and so isn't gay" or when it the person actually said it!
    Now...well, it still sucks, but those times when I really have a gut feeling... I trust them. :slight_smile:

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps "the look" is considered attractive in men in general, hence why a lot of the gay models, actors, musicians, etc. would have these features, making it seem like more are that way.

16. Sitri

I once new a guy who always looked like he had come straight from a pride parade. He was a walking stereotype, eveything from his body language to his hobbies (ballet) screamed gay. I was shocked when I found he was gay, and I only realized how obvious it was in hindsight. So, basically my gaydar is completely broken.

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before coming out I've had a strong connection whith a lot of gay men. I can't explain just a strange closeness. It's impossible to explain

18. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I have more of a gay-magnet :3 Four of my closest friends, whom all know each other turned out to be all LGBT, but as for gaydar I suppose you could say I had a feeling some people would come out at my school.

19. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Unless a person is very stereotypical, than I haven't got a clue. I wish I had good gaydar.

20. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope.:lol: I haven't the faintest idea when someone is gay. It would be helpful for possibly finding a boyfriend but could get annoying.