1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to San Francisco

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by squally89, May 3, 2014.

1. squally89

Hi friends,

Any advice, tips and features on San Francisco.
    I am excited for my vacation! I will be there for a week and I never been to San Fran!

Any comments will be appreciated.

2. Number ONE tip: ALWAYS bring a jacket. San Fran is known as the air-conditioned city where a blanket of fog covers the sky to block out sun until the late afternoon, but by that time, the sun is already going down. This happens regardless of the season, summer or winter. Also, it's going to be breezy. I made the mistake of not putting my cap snugly enough and it flew away. I had to chase it while I was on my bike, which brings me to my next tip.

Don't rely on a car to get around the city. Use a bicycle or walk. Cycling in San Fran is relatively safe, especially with the lack of cars and excellent bike infrastructure. Also, driving a car on a steep hill can be quite gas-guzzling.

If you're visiting Chinatown, expect a bunch of smokers, especially if you have asthma. Also, be careful not to step on durian, cigarette ashes, and Asian food on the sidewalk.

If you want a view of the Golden Gate Bridge, don't expect it. Like I said, it often gets so foggy that if the sky is clear, you'd be lucky to see it.

The cost of living in San Fran is one of the highest in the U.S. Bring extra cash.

I have nothing against homeless people, but there are a bunch of them in Ghiradelli Square, which is why it smells like pee sometimes. 90% of them are rather clingy and crazy in my experience. I've had this one women come up to me and said "AH AH ducks give pigeons."

You must go to one of the cafes in Fisherman's Wharf and have the clam chowder in the famous bread bowl. It's awesome.

Since San Fran is on the California coast, be prepared for earthquakes. Go under a table if you're near one. If you're not near one, stop, drop, and cover. If you're on a bed, curl up and use a pillow for protection.

If you want to have some fun, hike up and down one of the steep roads, You'll get a workout for sure.

Hope this helped! :grin: I've experienced about every single one of these except for the earthquakes. Have fun!

#2 anthonythegamer, May 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Alcatraz tour is interesting and worthwhile. Fisherman's Wharf is a bit touristy but still interesting.

As far as transit, the public transit system (BART, Muni, buses) is pretty good, and Google Maps is updated with real time schedules to get you anywhere using the public transit system.

I also strongly recommend downloading the Sidecar app if you have an iphone or android, and think you might have any reason to use a taxi. Sidecar is a dotcom startup that links private drivers who drive their own cars with riders who need to go somewhere. It's substantially less than taking a taxi, usually faster, and no messing with payments, change, or tips, because it bills your credit card automatically through your phone after the ride is complete. It shows you the cost of the ride in advance, and drivers compete on price.

Since you're from Toronto, you're used to a variety of food, but you'll find probably more unusual and interesting options in restaurants than most anywhere else in the world. opentable.com often has great deals on meals at some great SF restaurants.