1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EM68, Aug 3, 2008.

1. EM68

Has anyone used any online dating sites? I was thinking of putting my profile on Yahoo personals and Gay.com. I looked at some other sites and they just seem like hook up sites. I am not really comfortable with that. Any advice would be great. Thanks

2. s5m1

I have heard some positive comments about gay.com and #########, although I have not tried either. I read that sites that require a monthly fee generally lead to better results because people who are willing to pay the fee are more serious about trying to meet someone. Makes sense to me. If you try one, let us know how it goes. I was thinking about trying one soon as well and would love to hear about your experiences. Good luck.

3. If you're not into hook ups, then I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, everyone thinks that after you sign up, you can find as many guys as you can for 'hook ups,' but it's actually a total pain, and not worth it. If you're looking for friends, potential relationships, and that sort of stuff, then I would think about it. Signing up for that is not a pain like the other stuff.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My met my partner online, but it was while playing video games, not at a matchmaking site.

My brother decided to give one of them a try. I think it was #########. He tried their free "trial membership", which let him look at profiles and send messages to...four, I think. Anyhow, he gave it a looksee. He saw one woman who seemed rather promising, so he sent her a message.

...they've now been married for four years. And my brother sheepishly admits, "I never DID send ######### any money." :slight_smile:

Lex

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I agree with the others ######### isn't bad.

6. EM68

I just posted a profile on Yahoo.com. I will see what happens. Wish me luck. :slight_smile:

7. sdc91

Maybe connexion.com, too? I don't know. Never really dealt with any of that.

8. Alexander

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck, EM! Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my own personal opinion, I don't agree with these things. From my one and only personal experience on a flirting website, I'd say they don't work. I only ended up hurting someone without meaning to. Enough said, I don't feel like going into details.

11. ctw0625

ctw0625 Guest

I kinda-sorta agree with heatqueen in that it takes more effort to come up with a good match online. I've only online dated once, and it didn't go as well as I thought... It lasted just over a month and it ended when he became too obsessed with me and it came out that he'd lied to me about moving into the area for college after his graduation. He wanted me to move there, several states away, and I won't throw away my plans for college. He suggested we keep dating and see eachother only on holidays but I wasn't willing to commit like that for the next five years. There's more to the story, but I feel like I'm rambling, so either PM me or I'll post it in a new advice/support topic later... Having said that, queen and I have only had one experience so it may be a coincidence that things weren't great. I know I'd definitely be open to trying again, but my requirements will be a bit tighter from now on (17, planning to go to Cornell or Ithaca or somewhere close by, not jealous, not into hookups, completely honest, etc...). Online dating DOES work, but it's much harder to get what you're looking for I think.

12. EM68

I met some one online a few days ago. He is 30 and is bi. We have been emailing a lot the past couple of days. He does not like to IM. We have a lot in common. He like me is just realizing that he wants to start to date men. The emails so far have been good. He has gone to a couple of gay bars and clubs. We talked about meeting in town some time so he can show me some places. He is going out of town this weekend to visit his sick mom. Before he left he said he wanted me to call him during his layover tomorrow. He emailed me his cell number. Unfortunately I can not because I am working. He understood and we plan to talk when he gets back. We will see what happens. :icon_bigg

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a good start. :slight_smile: You might just arrange to meet up some place simple first, like a coffee shop in the middle of town, to see how you feel in each other's presence.

Lex

14. EM68

He sent me another email that I could call him anytime. I think he is heading to the airport soon so I just texted him that I would call him after I get out of work tomorrow. That way we would have more time to talk tomorrow instead of having a short conversation tonight.