1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some people think this is okay ( Trigger warning: rape)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NicoletteChris, May 4, 2014.

1. NicoletteChris

I'm watching " Who the (bleep) did I marry?" On TLC which is a show about woman who marry men who they think are lovely and "perfect" who then become/turn out to be psychopaths and abusive. I'm watching one episode that is making me so damn angry.

A man rapes his married wife and becomes abusive and crazy and then his wife tape records him abusing/raping her since she hid a tape recorder in their room as proof to record him if he ever tried to hurt her but had no idea he'd try to rape her. He became crazy and abusive because he was a stay at home dad and his wife was the one working and in charge and he wanted to "assert more dominance on her."

This is bullshit but anyway after this woman and her children got away from this monster she was still required to pay this guy "spousal support" almost 40 k or 1k a month.

I just think to myself this is crazy and stupid but what's worse is during the court proceedings this man said the sex was consensual since they were married even though they had the tape recording where this woman was literally screaming and crying.

Why do some people think rape isn't rape if it's between spouses?

2. BelleFromHell

A lot of straight men still think a woman's body is something that can be bought and owned...

3. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Marital rape wasn't a crime in the UK until 1992.

Marital rape is still not considered illegal in many countries.
    [​IMG]
    (those who are not red)

The problem is the presumption that everyone is innocent until proven guilty.
    The wife has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that she did not consent.
    The defence lawyer will discredit her, by saying that she has other motives and wants to throw her man out of the house, or by taking advantage of her emotional state and make her seem like a crazy woman in front of a jury.
    The jury, being consisted of men and women with patriarchical ideas such as 'she was asking for it', or 'she's his wife she has to satisfy him', will often acquit the man because they are not 100% sure that it was rape.
    It's a common phenomenon, not so much in Western countries, but still.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm very surprised if this is true. Rape law has been changed in the United States such that there must still be explicit consent between partners in marriage. Marriage does not mean a husband owns his wife and and fuck her whenever he wants. The law is such that he still requires consent. So if they guy got charged and got off, or the county attorney refused to prosecute or whatever, that's an example of the law not being applied correctly or of juries just being stupid. But ya.

As to why do people think it's okay? They don't, not for the most part. We definitely have a rape culture in the US, and it's pretty sick, but it's not this sick.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'd like to believe that the overwhelming majority of straight men don't believe that, but there is a minority of crazy individuals who think they have a right to use and abuse whoever they want.

6. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People assume that if two people are married that all sexual intercourse between the partners is consensual. They think that the marriage means total consent, even though it doesn't. People get forced into sex by their partner and everyone assumes that both parties were okay with it, so nobody says anything about it and the person who got raped gets ignored.

7. Best of Both

Best of Both Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I that agree with that

Me and everyone I know think rapist are the lowest form of scum

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The idea that anyone has a "right" to another person's body is sick. Whether in marriage or outside of it, both MUST consent or rape has be perpetrated. End of story.

9. Jethro702

Yep.