1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do homophobic arguements against gay rights always boil down to sex

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, May 5, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

They always seem to ignore the fact that we want companionship, love, cuddles etc. that any human being would want from life.

Also homophobes never really mention lesbians, their arguments are always two guys doing anal sex which is only a small part of the LGBT community.

2. PillsHere

Because it's the only straw people can grasp at. I imagine a close-minded Christian's argument, who's supposed to practice the teachings of Jesus's infinite love, telling you you're disgusting for loving another human being. So they have to resort to the whole "sodomy" thing.

I had a lady get disgusted and ignore my question when I asked her what God's stance was on two vaginas grinding against each other.

3. Hexagon

Because sex is a global obsession.

4. Aldrick

Because that's through the narrow lens gay people are viewed culturally. That's the lens of sex. Being gay, to them, is all about sex.

Gay men are the focus more than lesbians, because gay men are the greater offender of gender expectations. This is because lesbians are stereotyped as being 'butch' or more 'masculine' than straight women, and masculine characteristics are valued in our society while feminine characteristics are devalued in our society. Gay men are stereotyped as being more 'feminine' than straight men, and therefore appear to be actively devaluing or "degrading" themselves.

As a result gay men get stereotyped as "effeminate sexual deviants".

5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think since they're trying to make a case against gay people, it's the easiest point to make, really. Acknowledging that we want love just like anyone would doesn't help their case :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who's actively trying to make a case against gay rights. So they wouldnt acknowledge these things because they weaken their anti-gay argument.

Also, what Aldrick said about the way lesbians and gay people are viewed by society is spot on.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More specifically, I think it is a Christian obsession.

7. Hexagon

One I think is shared by most cultures, Christian and otherwise. I mean, look at some Islamic countries, for example.

8. Beware Of You

Actually I think Islam is over-sexual in a way.

The point of the veil is to stop guys getting aroused by a women for example, women can't show off their bodies etc. If a guy has er a little accident he has to do a prayer and ritual cleaning etc. The whole 72 virgins etc.

9. Cass

I don't think so. Sex is something all humans have and all humans have an opinion on. Just because Christians have a different outlook on it doesn't make them obsessed with it.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Watch this and think more on it (it's very entertaining, regardless of your opinions on religion): History of Love and sex - Documentary - YouTube

---------- Post added 5th May 2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In this society, women don't matter enough for people to have formed a strong opinion on lesbian sex. The attitude of religious homophobes tends to include women only as an afterthought: "I hate gays because the Bible says men shouldn't have sex with men...oh, yeah, so I guess women probably shouldn't have sex with women either."

Yeah, that makes sense. We've all seen how what goes for men in the Bible generally goes for women, too, right? :tears: :bang:

11. Beetle

I've noticed that they tend to harp on gay men a lot more too. I guess it's because of a patriarchal society and gay men are stereotyped as being more "feminine" and femininity is looked down upon. Also, the world revolves around penis, and they probably don't view lesbian sex as "real" because there's no real penis involved. I'm noticing a lot of studies about gays and biology tending to focus on gay men as well.

People against us will try to dehumanize us as much as possible, probably why they only focus on gay sex rather than us being real people with real feelings and diverse personalities.

12. hollybee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Everyone is obsessed with the sex

13. Hexagon

Thank you so much. I deeply needed something to watch.

14. finlandwrc

this is so true

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Gay men are the ones focused on and hated because a lot of strongly religious people (Not saying ALL of them are like this) think anal sex between men is "gross/immoral/corrupt" (And ironically, most of them have anal sex, especially before marriage. Hypocritical.)

Lesbians are more so erased as a sexuality. The reason the sex isn't focused on is because people don't think it counts as "real" sex and that women can sleep with women while still being straight. It's still discrimination against lesbians, It's just more subtle although it can lead to worse things (Like sexual harassment and corrective rape).

It's because of the patriarchy. Liking men is seen as "feminine" which is something men aren't supposed to be like, and that's why they get targeted more.

16. newfish

I've heard that virgins may actually be a mistranslation of angels or even raisins. No virgins, just raisins.

I believe it's focused on more because you don't want people to see someone as loving and compassionate while you're trying to erase their rights. Instead, you want to see "this person is an evil sex beast. Look at how weird their sex is compared to normal hetero human sex." It distances us from straight people and makes it seem like love isn't a right, because actually it's just horrible temptation.

And FallingDown summed up why it focuses on men pretty well. Instead of focusing on taking down lesbian's rights directly, lesbians aren't taken seriously and they are made into entertainment. And then people also decide to defend gay guys because they believe that we all follow a stereotype and exist for the purpose of being flamboyant gay best friends.

#16 newfish, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  17. Aldrick

Exactly. It's also the reason when it comes to trans people, you mostly see the negative focus on trans women more so than trans men.

It's more threatening to a patriarchal culture when a man seems to voluntarily be "debasing" himself by becoming "feminine". When a woman embraces "masculine" roles or expressions, she's embracing concepts that the culture already deems favorable and desirable.

It's one of the reasons when you read a book like the Bible it seems to give exclusive focus to same sex sexual acts with men, rather than with women. It actually has nothing to do with the acts themselves, or sexual orientation in general. Back then, they had no real concept of sexual orientation as we do today. Their issue with it was exclusively around gender roles, and they were an insanely patriarchal culture.

18. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Think about it, when being LGBT is becoming more and more accepted, people start resorting to underhanded techniques... such as bringing it to sex, which is seen as taboo and especially strange if it is same-sex sex to a heterosexual person. It all comes down to what ways they can convince others that the LGBT community is "evil" :l Too bad these people don't use their silvertongues for more productive things :c