1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are straight guys more likely to be homophobic than straight women?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by amoore658, May 5, 2014.

1. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been thinking... I cannot think of a straight girl my age (20) who I've met and has been homophobic.

On the same token, there are only a handful of straight guys my age that I would say are "homophobic".

Are straight guys more likely to be homophobic?

(For reasons) How can you tell if a straight guy is homophobic?

I know this seems like a pretty pointless thread, but ah well! haha

2. Statistics have shown that a higher rate of women are more accepting towards the LGBT population.

3. Muddy Boots

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Think it all depends on the person. I've noticed male and female homophobes of all ages. If it's someone you're trying to figure out then it's maybe best to raise a topic that's in the news with them - see how they react.

4. Camerooon

I can't think of a single girl I know who is homophobic, but most guys my age aren't really (thankfully) homophobic either. Younger guys seem to be more homophobic until they grow up, in my experience. When they reach 15/16 or so they seem to realise that it's not an issue. Or at least that's how it was with the guys in my year.

5. Oxelotl

From what I've noticed, guys do seem to be more likely to be homophobic than women (because I honestly can't think of any girl who I can flat out say is homophobic) while I can think of several guys who are either fully homophobic, really homophobic or even just partially homophobic (to the point they don't realise they are homophobic yet they say stupid stupid things).

As a guess maybe it has something to do with masculinity, and males thinking that two men together is just not masculine enough, and they are so insecure that even the thought of two men sickens them, but I honestly don't know why more men are homophobic.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think there's a huge difference, honestly. Guys appear to be more homophobic against gay *men*, whereas there's no shortage of stories online of straight women being totally grossed out or even hostile towards lesbians. They're also less likely to violently lash out or publicly show their disapproval, sans religious fanatics, since it's not considered lady-like.

Definitely, I've heard plenty of women here using homophobic languages against guys, especially when upset, (eg, "you fucking faggot!") but otherwise, seem neutral on the matter. Plenty of guys also seem more-or-less ambivalent, "so long that they don't shove it in my face", so I think there are less on either extremes, whether it be strongly anti-gay or pro-gay.

Also, outside of large groups, people's behaviors tend to change, so someone who might feel the need to put on an act and not draw negative attention towards themselves might turn out different if you catch them alone. In middle school, I had a friend who many considered effeminate and gay, who I slowly started talking to less, unfortunately. He was a cool guy, I just didn't want to draw any negative attention, and cared way too much what others thought of me at the time...

7. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's more overt when men do it. Usually more violent. A larger percentage of straight men are homophobic, biphobic, or transphobic compared to straight women.

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/Labs/...13/Herek hetero attitude transgender 1012.pdf

This study shows that. It might be different in other countries but this is a somewhat recent look at the US.

The gap is consistent across age groups, though it's smaller in younger generations. The only exception was with lesbians--for which the attitudes were the same for both sexes, and bisexual women--the only group straight men viewed more positively than their female counterparts.

#7 Spatula, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And because women understand gay men and in a way, relate to them. Straight guys see them as foreigners, and may be intimidated at the thought of another guy objectifying them.

At least I think it's about as simple as that.