1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otherkin and spirituality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, May 5, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think otherkin should be seen more as a spiritual thing than an LGBT thing. Otherkin shouldn't be bullied, but they shouldn't appropriate stuff from the trans community.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like totems?

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Respectfully disagreeing is fine. This is very situational. Some otherkin bring it on themselves. You see the worst of it on Tumblr. I wouldn't advise anyone to learn about otherkin OR trans on Tumblr! There are people that treat trans as a game. I see it time and time again. It drives me up the f**king wall. I'm a trans guy and this isn't something fun. I want nothing more than to be a cis guy. How do you think an otherkin would feel when they see their spiritual beliefs treated as a roleplaying game? Enraged and sometimes a little amused at the sheer nerve of someone claiming to be a god kintype or changing kintypes every month. There are more trans otherkin than you think. The last thing they want to do is make it difficult for themselves to transition.

As EC knows; knowingly misgendering a trans person is disrespectful, unless they tell you otherwise. For example you might be their friend and they have to present as another gender somewhere. Outting a trans person is dangerous. Referring to an otherkin as a person... is still respect. Depending on the context, I might refer to an otherkin as their kintype, but they shouldn't expect everyone to do that 100% of the time. If an otherkin flares up over being called human; they're almost certainly playing a game with you. I'd say it's more similar to calling christians, uh, human.

There's ignorance and misunderstanding on both sides. I consider transsexualism to be a medical condition. I consider otherkin to be a spiritual thing. The latter shouldn't cause serious distress. They're both quite complex, and few people understand both. Hell, not even all people agree on the definition of trans or otherkin, for that matter.

Many trans people are upset by otherkin. This I can understand. They see it as an attack on them. A problem is that some otherkin do claim they're oppressed. Otherkin cannot experience social dysphoria -- unless they are also trans and thus being otherkin isn't the cause of it. I'm skeptical about 'species dysphoria. Too many people believe that otherkin actually want to transition into another species. This physical shifting nonsense about otherkin... it has gone too far. A responsible wolf therian isn't gonna abandon the human life they built up, especially once they learn they get to live longer, enjoy video games, and so on. Sooner or later, the wiser ones come to terms with it. If someone wants to run away and live with wolves to escape their life... something is wrong within their lives.

Otherkin or not, almost everyone experiences life as human physically/psychologically/socially, and develops a human psyche -- physical evidence is the BRAIN. There is no excuse to bite people and blame it on an 'involuntary mental shift'. There are idiots within almost every community.

Children raised by animals... that's not otherkin, that's an entirely different, fascinating topic. That's yet one more reason we need to educate people about trans. Joe public will then point and laugh at otherkin or respectfully disagree with their beliefs. Trans shouldn't cross their mind.

Next episode - dissociative identity disorder vs systems. Or maybe not. Systems are either roleplaying or it's how they deal with DID. I personally believe that it is impossible for a human to 'contain' more than one soul. Personalities, yes, but not multiple souls! If you don't know what I'm talking about... don't worry. Now, how we should treat DID, is yet another topic.

4. Simple Thoughts

What is up with all the other-kin talk lately? =/

First we have a big fight about other-kin, then someone who says they are other-kin makes a thread, and now we're making another thread.

Is this like the 'issue of the week'? =P

In either case since there are people hanging around the forum who identify themselves as other-kin I'll happily stay uninvolved from the side-lines this time around. :3

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My soul is really a goldfish (I was switched at birth with a goldfish won at a carnival. He died and now I'm stuck in this body and can't switch back) and therefore, as a goldfish, I am attracted to other goldfish like myself, so it is totally a sexual thing that should be categorized under LGBT. I think your discrimination is utter carassiusism and it won't be tolerated on a liberal forum such as this.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure why there's a rise on otherkin threads...but okay.

7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Maybe because the first thread ended up hostile and locked, leaving questions raised and then unanswered.

8. Simple Thoughts

Possibly.

---------- Post added 6th May 2014 at 03:16 AM ----------

So you're sexually attracted to goldfish?

First things first...and I hope you won't take any offense to this, but...you aren't just trolling are you?

I mean this seems like it could really go either way.

A woman's married the berlin wall so I don't see goldfish being out of the question, still at the same time it's not something you hear everyday and I could pretty easily imagine someone who was trolling picking something obscure and spontaneous like a goldfish.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Otherkin are physically human with a human brain. If they believe otherwise, they're deluded or playing games. They should be into humans, or asexual. If they're attracted to animals, that's a separate issue, and should NEVER be tolerated. I would slowly lower animal abusers into acid.

Spirituality does not equal LGBT. I probably hindered more than I helped, but it seemed that EC was dying to learn about an obscure topic. Otherkin week. I'd really rather end it there.

10. Simple Thoughts

Well I don't see it ending now that the question has been raised ^^"

Besides, regardless of how 'touchy', 'awkward', or just 'disturbing' a subject is it is always a positive to understand it. I mean even something like serial killers, our understanding of their minds and how they work has been a benefit in helping to deal with them. ( no I'm not comparing the two, I'm simply stating that unpleasant isn't an excuse not to understand ). It helps to understand why people do what they do, think what they think, and feel what they feel. The more we know the better prepared we are to help them.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Within reason.

People who do not believe they are human, if they honestly believe that, are at best deluded, and at worst, seriously mentally ill.

I want to be compassionate, but nobody's doing anyone a service by perpetuating the idea that a human can be other than a human.

This, honestly, is an attention seeking behavior more than anything else. As such, yes, we should approach it with compassion and seek to help. But not by reinforcing a belief rooted in delusion. Furthermore, it really doesn't have any connection that I can see to the LGBT community, and I frankly think it detracts from the credibility of the LGBT community to validate this concept.

12. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of agree with you. If someone actually believes they are another animal I would consider them delusional or mentally ill. If they believe they have another animal's soul or are reincarnated from another animal I consider that a spiritual belief. I have a few spiritual beliefs that most people probably don't agree with and I don't appreciate when people think I'm delusional because of them. I kind of hide in a "spiritual belief closet" because of those people.

13. AlamoCity

This is the best thing that has been said on this topic. I could not have written it better, and would probably have written something far more polarizing. Thanks, Chip! :thumbsup:

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also agree with Chip. And as I mentioned in the other thread, if you're "really" a horse, I don't think you'd be talking to anyone in human language. Anyone can do what they want, within reason, but any wish to be part of the LGBT+ community on those grounds is rather ridiculous and delegitimising.

15. Hexagon

Just out of curiosity, how does that cat in your profile pic feel about your species?

16. Simple Thoughts

I can't say I disagree that someone who feels this way isn't going through some sort of problem. I mean it seems that would make the most sense, and I'd likely be inclined to think they should seek a therapist to discuss it with.

I don't think we should let this issue speak for or again us, however, instead we should just acknowledge it as its own issue. I don't feel like actively trying to include it or actively trying to distance from it does anyone any favors. Instead, we should address the issue as the issue it is and seek to help whomever is dealing with it.

That's just my take anyways.

Also...and this is just a hypothesis ( which is basically just a glorified name for a guess ) but couldn't it be possible ( at least in some cases ) that these people associating so strongly with animals and rejecting their own humanity could potentially be some sort of coping mechanism for body dysphoria? (please note: I'm not saying they are an animal trapped in a humans body, I'm saying perhaps they are experiencing body dysphoria and this is some sort of strange method of dealing with it? The mind's done weirder things. ) <--- waits to die for suggesting this.

#17 Simple Thoughts, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have not come out to her yet.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except that the LGBT community has worked hard to gain solid credibility for itself. There's solid evidence supporting the idea that sexual orientation is pretty firmly rooted and cannot be changed, and that homosexuality exists.

There is absolutely zero evidence, not even shitty, poor quality studies, to support any claim that anyone human is other than human. At the point we start trying to lend credence to that idea, we do an enormous disservice to the credibility as a community that we have worked so hard to attain.

Nobody with any shred of credibility or understanding of human (or, for that matter, animal) development believes that "otherkin" exist, except as a figment of someone's imagination. We don't help our cause by humoring that argument.

Yes, I completely agree with this. But I would suggest that (at least for those who honestly believe they are not human) it's reasonable to deal with it in the same way we deal with any other mental problem that represents a break with reality: by recognizing it as a mental health issue. The LGBT community as a whole doesn't include non-LGBT people living with schizophrenia, because schizophrenia is not an LGBT issue. Ditto with people with a mental health condition where they believe they are an animal. (Arguably, that might in itself be a defining criteria for schizophrenia.)

So we show compassion, offer to steer those people toward appropriate mental health resources, and send them on their way.

Sure, that's quite possible. Frankly, though, I think it is more likely a byproduct of the culture of narcissism that has developed as a result of misguided attempts (in schools and parenting models of the past 25 years) to artificially build self-esteem at the expense of real self-understanding and self-work, something that many social psychologists are deeply concerned about with regard to the current age cohort between 10 and 25. In any case, it doesn't make it any less of a mental health issue. It's certainly well beyond the scope of an online community for LGBT people who are dealing with issues of coming out.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap