1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do straight guys flirt with gay guys?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dblockdavis, May 6, 2014.

1. dblockdavis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So there is this guy i can't really figure out. Its been a long time since i have seen him. He claims he is straight when he is talking to other guys, but i know for a fact he breaks off the relationship before it gets physical with a girl and he wont even "kiss". He has flirted with me, rubbed the hair on my arm, commented on my eyes, picked tape or something sticky off of my shoulder, told me he was excited when he gets to see me "so i do get to see you later!". I have also seen him staring longingly at me, and when i caught him he looked startles. I have also seen him looking at my butt with a smile on his face. He then immediately cut off all contact with me. Now, (years later), i hear randomly from someone that he is asking about me. I have not seen him in a long time. I'm like "what does he want!" He says he is straight, and makes other people think he is straight, so thats what i accept. Why would he pretend to flirt with me, then come looking for me years later. Someone that talked to him told me that "he totally wants to sit on it".

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

It seem he likes you and obviously misses you

3. NoaWinchester

There are probably a lot of people around the world who are gay and feel the need to/have to hide their orientation because they grew up in a conservative household/live in a conservative area/are confused because their orientation seemed to have appeared out of the blue/are strictly religious and feel as though they're being sinful/etc. There are many reasons for them to hide their sexualities and pretend to be straight, and it seems to me like your friend is one of them. I'd say, try to contact him and speak frankly with him. However, if over time he still doesn't show what his orientation is or you're not interested in him, then don't bother and let him figure things out for himself. While he has every right to hide his sexuality and doubt himself, you also have the right to be with/date someone who you're sure cares about you and loves you.

4. Camerooon

Well, it's entirely possible that he is gay/bi but just won't admit it. When asked by someone I don't entirely trust or when with more than one person I generally choose not to lie if someone asks me, because I don't feel comfortable telling more than person at once. He could be like that.

In my experience, when straight guys flirt with guys it's done jokingly, and obviously. They wouldn't look at and smile at a guys butt unless they wanted them to see. Otherwise it's not really a joke, is it?

5. dblockdavis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well i know that he moved out on his own, and his family is very conservative. When we parted ways he cut off all contact. He was still living with his family that will probably disown him if they found out. They moved away literally days before he came looking for me. He says he is straight to other people, yet he didnt want me to know he had a girlfriend. Now that his family left, i heard he didnt? wtf? Any thoughts? He asked for me at work and i was told that he asked "when" i was going to be at work.

6. dblockdavis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He would rub the hair on my arm, blow on my neck, and he actually said "I want you to put it in my butt" to me. After he cut off all contact, he turned on me, and said "I am another dude!" and acted straight. now he tries to open communication with me again?

7. dblockdavis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i think it might just be an ego thing

8. Harve

Some just like the attention (I can flirt with girls for the same reason I guess), but in this case it might be that he's actually gay.

9. Strathclyder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Seems like he's deeply in the closet to me.

10. dblockdavis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Looks like he was just yanking my chain. He finally made a facebook. He looks very straight and christian (alot of pictures are of him fishing). His friend list is mostly composed of males and his girlfriend is very pretty. This bullying madman put on a totally different persona around me. I was CONVINCED that he was in to me. He looks like a completely different person from what i know. He always told me that "gay people think god loves them but its adam and eve not adam and steve", and he didnt like me texting him because "he has a life".

11. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Closeted. If it looks like, acts like a duck and yet holds up a sign that says "I AM A ZEBRA!!" whilst quacking... Dude's a friggin' duck.

12. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As said above, he seems like he maybe is straight but it could be that he is curious or truly is bi/gay and just is afraid to admit to himself/others

13. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Deeeeeeeeeply closeted. Paranoid-ly so.

But I think he's probably reaching a point where the internal pressure/dissonance is driving him a little nuts, and so he's responding to it and coming around looking for you.

I could be wrong.

But you know what? Either way, in this case...I think I'd distance from the guy, after you have a face-to-face with him (if he finally comes to meet you face to face, looking for you, that is)...and basically tell him, "Look, I don't know what you're truly after or what you're about, but here's the deal: I... AM gay. And I'm ready to accept that. Whatever your interest in me is, you need to get yourself straightened out (no pun intended) before we even have an interaction again. Don't call, don't write, don't stalk - unless you're ready to get real."

Just because you're worth more than that, OP. You deserve not to be yanked around by someone who is flailing about badly, in the throes of...whatever is going on inside this guy & in his head.

He needs to be on some kind of level ground with regard to himself & his motivations, and able to be honest about them to others, before he should be allowed into the flirting/dating pool.

I wonder what would happen if you asked him to stop the flirting/touching/innuendo stuff for a bit, and just offered to...I dunno...like go fishing with him, as a friend? Like, what if you just tried to be a platonic friend, in case he IS deeply closeted, and needs one?

14. 741852963

I don't necessarily think it's a closeted thing - straight guys often like to "pretend to be gay", its a big game to them. You will find a lot of men who will put on an exaggerated homo-erotic display for a laugh.

15. dblockdavis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the advice guys. This guy i was talking about now has a very hot girlfriend. He wouldnt tell me he did. He would tell other guys though. This guy was raised as a huge bigot and he says stuff like "gay people think god loves them but its adam and eve not adam and steve", and "i dont want to know what another man feels like" yet he makes flirtatious comments to me, and it poking me and touching me? wtf. He has never EVER asked me to hang out yet he goes fishing and loves going fishing with his friends. He asked me to see a movie with him once, and me, thinking that he was a bigot and leading me on, said "I hate anybody thats different" (when i said i, and was meaning him in a mocking way). a few hours later i asked him when he wanted to see the movie and he kept saying "i'm busy i'm busy". how should i interpret this? whenever i would text him or send pictures he would say stuff like
    "creepy".

#15 dblockdavis, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

He;s almost definitely a closeted gay person.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Most straight guys I see do it is do it for jokes some just for shock factor and like messing with people .

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Either closeted or sadistic.

I flirt with alot of straight guys myself and it usually means absolutely nothing alot of the time though so iono

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It happens.

Some straight guys will flirt with really hot A-list gay guys because they are intrigued by them. Straight guys respond affirmatively to good looking guys. It's sort of a universal thing. Attractive people, in general, have an easier time in life and many people seem to want to hang out with them.

Some straight guys will flirt because, consciously or subconsciously, they do in fact have a bisexual component.

Some straight guys will flirt to manipulate gay guys who might think the ingratiation could also work for them, though it probably won't. Most likely, it's to obtain favors. One thing that has happened to me, irrespective of sexual identity because the setting didn't even allow for that to be an issue, is that some presumably gay guys in the hospitality industry have mistakenly given me free food, which I pointed out to them and they did not charge me for, or have given me upgrades in seats on a plane or an upgrade in renting a car, free of charge.

Some straight guys will flirt as a pure mind fuck. I went to college with someone who was suspicious and would definitely be an acquaintance, though I would have classified him as a friend back then. Stupid me. He wanted to go visit one of his fraternity brothers in the dorms. This guy was sitting there in his bathrobe with nothing underneath. At one point, he sort of let it open as he moved from his desk to reclining on the bed. I didn't know what to make of all this, but I didn't like it. Back then, I wasn't suspicious of it. Now, looking back, I am and I think my "friend" had talked behind my back. The reality is that this guy in the bathrobe's most noticeable attribute was the long, deep vertical cleft in his chin. What a jerk, though. I wonder if he looks like shit now.

So, that's the whole span of motives in my mind. Look for clues which could tell you which of these explanations may apply.

20. dblockdavis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i know he was raised in a super conservative christian family. One time he wanted to "compete" with me to get a date with this hot girl. The hot girl chose him naturally (hes way better looking than me) I didn't even try, but he kept saying stuff like "you are just mad that i won!" This made me feel VERY bad about myself.