1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Drought

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, May 6, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whew, this looks like the worst drought they've had in ages, and will no doubt push food prices up, and leave people fighting over water.

With all this in mind, do you think Californians need to better regulate the use of their water resources? I mean, you see all these rich folks with swimming pools and lush laws, where one big estate might use as much as 100 normal people.

But I guess once the place really starts to run out, then things will change..but it will be curious...how will water be rationed? I mean, will it go to the well to do, or be more fairly distributed?

In any event. we've had a TON of rain here...maybe we can sell some water!

From the USDA:

[​IMG]

2. Techno Kid

I heard on the CBC once that California has the water infrastructure in place to be able to deal with this, but since most people live in cities it will go there first than farmland will get what's left.

3. NicoletteChris

We're having a drought?

I have to alert you that half the population barely even knows but it's only rained less than five times this year whomp.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm Jerry Brown, we're going to use that $3 billion surplus to build desalination plants. 70% of the Earth's surface is covered in water, and if we have the technology to make it drinkable, well that's going to be my first option.

5. CaptainClyde

CaptainClyde Guest

My parents live out in Southern Cali. Prices of everything are up because of the drought. They were just out here visiting and I asked them several times to move out of CA, not just because of the drought but because of the spike in crime in their neighborhood.

6. quicksplash

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I know there's a drought, but I feel like the effects aren't really there, like in your face kind of thing. Its probably because I'm in the city. I know that some places have voluntary rationing and that the farmers are having a hard time with water. But I feel like it isn't that high on people's minds yet. It might soon though, seeing as we're already in May and umm, yeah rain isn't really forecast over the hot summer...

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know there's a drought. All the car washes at our school were canceled.
    Perhaps we can give everyone the incentive to invent a weather machine.
    (No, I'm kidding.)

8. LOL sometimes, this is just blown out of proportion. I know there's a drought, but the media is acting like we're becoming the Sahara Desert.

I know that there is some compulsory rationing in the Central Valley regions of NorCal. In Fresno, water levels are being carefully watched and when one house uses too much water, that house gets fined.

My family is doing some rationing like using our dishwater to water our plants. I can't remember the last time we've used a hose.

Prices are actually increasing for fruits and vegetables, which is a shock because our produce is domestically grown. It might get expensive for the rest of the U.S because we supply 1/3 of the nation's produce.

For me, it's not exactly in my face but we know it's happening. Kinda like the war in Afghanistan.

#8 anthonythegamer, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  9. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They already have had that for several decades in Santa Barbara I believe, but it was shut down when the rain came back years ago. The plant will take many millions to update and restart from it's current mothballed status. If they can do it in the middle east, why can't we do it here? If we can put robots on mars, why can't we water our crops?

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no denying that this drought will have a major impact on food prices, especially plants that take a lot of water to grow in California. I wouldn't be surprised if some prices on fruits and vegetables double or even triple.