1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why it take centuries...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FireSmoke, May 6, 2014.

1. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

...to take a good photo? Is it the same for you?

Every 10-20 selfies, only 2/3 reveal to be good. Whom is the fault? Of the bad camera (I use my phone and isn't very good) or also of the expression of your face that sometimes isn't spontaneous?

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Yea!!! Same here!!!!:grin:
    I have no idea why. But I assume it's some alien conspiracy:roflmao:

3. Beetle

I never look good in photos. I don't look like the same person as I see in the mirror. There's a science behind it, something about how lenses can warp your face a bit...which can be good or bad depending on how you come out looking in a photo.

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

^THIS!!!

That's interesting. I've always believed to this theory but I couldn't never imagine that there's a science behind it.

5. NoaWinchester

Yeah, basically - when you look in the mirror, that's what you really look like (though maybe somewhat distorted, as some mirrors are less accurate than others) since you're showen in your true three-dimensional being, while in photos everything gets squished in order to fit its two-dimensional nature, and so you might look less like yourself in photos.

Other than that, I (mostly) hate the way I look in photos, but that's more to do with my self esteem than anything else.

6. NicoletteChris

Most of my photos I usually take end up being bad like 50 selfies and there's one "okay" looking one but then if I stare at it long enough I start to hate it haha

7. Kabuki

It happens to me like always. About the mirror thing, another thing is that we are looking at out reversed face. What we see in the mirror is a reversed image of ourselves, and since the only way to look at ourselves is through a mirror, that is the image of us we have on our mind. What we look like on our photos, is how other people see us. Obviously they will see the 3D version of us and not like our 2D version from our photo.

If you want to get better pictures work with your angles and lightning, and after a couple of tries, see which one pleases you the most.
    Look at this video and see what I'm talking about:
    [YOUTUBE]D4bbAhHO-hk[/YOUTUBE]

8. AlamoCity

Most of the pictures I take suck, too. It's also hard for me because my eyes aren't aligned and so many pictures get deleted because of that.

I'd say 1 out of every 15 pictures comes out decent enough.

Sometimes, though, someone will take a spontaneous picture of me and it will actually be decent.

9. Emulator

All the time.

Mostly I have problems with the lighting.

10. Hexagon

It's the universe trying to tell us that this selfie thing is going too far.

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, definitely, but my new iPhone takes much better images than my old Android. Bad cameras take bad images. Lightning is also important.

I definitely prefer the way I look in the mirror.

Yup. Even if I like an image I've taken at first, I'll start to dislike it the more I see it.

#11 imnotreallysure, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On my phone in selfie mode I swear most of my pictures look amazing in the screen but the second I take it makes me look like shrek.

But the latest pictures you see are my best and unadulterated (no glamor filters etc, no doctoring).

Usually my problems are things going out of focus or some weird lighting messing everything up.

But yea out of 25 to 50 shots I might keep 5 and post 3?

Oh god... The Android software is horribad. Iphone camera software is SO much better.

13. Kat 5

I just get photobombed by my Ninja friend.

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

For me I'm never satisfied with them cause I dislike posed photos almost on principle. In my opinion the point of pictures is to capture a moment. With some exceptions of course but selfies are something I'm never interested for the most part. Which is partially why I have very few pictures even on facebook and such. I have a few on here though cause I wanted to document my changing hairstyles~

15. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shrek :lol:

And yeah... One more year and I can get the iPhone 6... One more year... But androids have some good features, too!

16. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    Lmaoo
    with me its like i look good in the mirror and then in the pictures i look like shit
    These stupid cameras are incapable of handling my beauty
    smh

17. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I normally hate photos, so I don't know. :L

18. thekillingmoon

Yeah I hate how I look in pictures. It's like, don't smile and you end up looking too gloomy, smile and you end up looking like an idiot. And then there is the hair that will look fine before the picture, but looks bad in the picture. Maybe I'm too self critical. :icon_conf

19. newfish

Wide-angle, unzoomed lenses cause a warping effect that makes facial features look larger - fisheye lenses being the most extreme and obvious version of this. Extremely zoomed lenses have the opposite effect. For this reason, professional photographers prefer to use a camera zoomed to be around 100mm and stand back far enough that it isn't just a weird close-up shot.

20. Techno Kid

:lol:

I don't really do the "selfie thing" I just update my pic every month or so. It does take a few tries to get it right! :dry: