1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Piercings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, May 6, 2014.

1. theMaverick

I'm sure someone on here has piercings. I'm thinking about getting my ears pierced, but I don't know. Anyone have any advice? Pros? Cons? Anything?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to get them, go for it. Just remember to treat your piercings like you would your pet in that you remember to take care of it.

My experience with my brow piercing was alright. Not much to say. I occasional feel some irritation and a dull pain at times, but I was told that it's normal for it to feel a bit weird. The only thing that becomes annoying to me is remembering to clean it at least once a day. I'm fully healed, so I just clean around the balls with water and I'm fine. I was told by my piercer to obviously be careful with clothing since it could get snagged, but I think you'll be fine with your ears.

I don't know how long the general heal time is, but I'm sure a quick search on google can help you pull up heal time charts to give you a basic idea. I think I was in the 4-6 week heal period, but I'm not sure. Just remember to go with whatever makes you happy.

3. PeytonRose

Do it!

If you don't like it you can always take out the piercing and let the hole close up. I have 3 piercings between both of my ears (both ear lobes are stretched to 00g and I have an inner piercing on my left ear, but the name of the piercing escapes me at this time). I'm toying with the idea of getting more along the outside of my ear as well as MAYBE my nipples. We shall see though.

Daydreamer is right though. Make sure that if you decide to go with a piercing, you follow all the piercers instructions in regards to care. Clean it how the suggest and my personal recommendation, go to a decent tattoo shop that also deals in piercings and get it done there. While those booths in the mall are cheap, they use cheap jewelry and their idea of "sterilizing" their tools is quickly rubbing their piercing gun down with an alcohol swab. A certified piercer at a decent piercing place will show you the surgically sterilized and brand spanking new, factory sealed needle that they're about to pierce you with and make you feel nice and comfy.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prices vary. I wish I could give you an estimate, but I probably can't. My brow was about $40-45ish.

Pain wise, I can't really say since everyone is different and I'm not sure which specific ear piercing you'd go for.

5. NoaWinchester

Yep, I agree with the two above me. From my experience with only my earlobes pierced for now, I think it's not supposed to be very pricey if you want to go for standart earlobe ones - wasn't for me here in Israel, at least - and also not very painful (while it does depend on the person, usually there aren't major complaints when it comes to the standart earlobes). Do treat and take care of them every day the way your piercer instructs you, I've learned the hard way what happens if you neglect this. Also, pay attention to the way your ears respond to the earrings - if the holes are getting infected despite you taking care of them, you might be sensitive to the material the earrings were made from.
    Generally, any question you have you can direct to your piercer, they're happy to help and give you the most accurate answers. :slight_smile:

#5 NoaWinchester, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say go for it, I’m thinking about mine done soon too. Even if you don’t like them in the near future just take the earrings out and most likely they will heal, but if not you will just have barely noticeable hole.

7. NicoletteChris

I have three ear piercings on my lobe and to be honest as long as you have the time to clean your piercings with the solution they give you (so they don't get infected) then go right ahead and do it. If you don't like the piercings later on then all you have to do is leave out the earring and the hole should heal up or worse case scenario it'll only get extremely small.

My only two warnings are:
    1. MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER TO PUT EARRINGS IN SO THE HOLES DON'T CLOSE UP. Sometimes I'll take out my piercings to shower or whatever and then when I come out I'll be too lazy or I'll forget to put them in and weeks will pass by then when I need to wear them for a special occasion it's sort of painful and frustrating to have to stab your hole/ear lobe repetitively to get the piercing in.

2. Make sure to use the solution. They will probably give you an ear piercing cleaning solution so that you can clean your ears with so you don't get an infection or something. Make sure to do it at least once a day or however may days are recommended by whoever pierces your ears or you may get an infection. You only have to clean your ears the first month or few weeks of having the piercings, it doesn't matter later on.

8. musicgirl18

I definitely agree with the above suggestions. ^^^ Never go to a booth, and also, though I doubt you were thinking about it, I would not suggest going to a Claire's/Icing to get it done either. They are a little bit cheaper, but much like the booths they do not sterilize their equipment well, and usually their earrings are pretty cheaply made. I went three times because I obviously didn't learn the first two times :dry: , and all three times they got infected. I found out that I was allergic to a lot of the metal they use here. Oh! That was my other suggestion, make sure you are not allergic to any metals before you get them.

9. timo

YES YES YES. Please get them pierced at a decent shop, it's worth the extra few bucks. I had both of my earlobes pierced at a professional shop. Later stretched to 6.5mm (~1/4")

10. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have nothing against piercings, as long as it doesn't hurt the body or infect the body.

11. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Definitely do it. Many people (including myself) find it attractive. As long as you clean it with sterile saline at least once a day and get it done with a needle at a professional place, you won't have any problems. Never use peroxide or alcohol. It damages the healing skin. Personally, I have double lobes and a helix on one of my ears. My first lobe piercings are stretched to a 6. I would also like to get a conch on my other ear and a few body piercings. It really isn't painful. Less so than a shot for sure. Good luck :slight_smile:

12. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

I was actually planning to get my ear pierced as well! I don't know how my family will react. But you should do it, really is no harm you can always just let em heal right?

13. andre a

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have piercings but I have my ears stretched (I did it by my own at home XD)
    Just heal them with alcohol

14. black-cat

If you want it, do it!

Get them done somewhere legitimate, and clean. Keep them clean morning and night and ask your piercer for advice. Be careful with things like hairspray or shampoo getting near them, also remember to keep your hair/hats/bedsheets clean. It will only take about 6 weeks to heal. Good luck!

15. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Again, it'll heal well with saline. Do not use alcohol. It is too harsh for an open wound, which is what a piercing is. Peroxide, too, will destroy the new skin trying to grow. Generic saline nasal spray is what my (reputable) piercer recommended, and I've never had an infection + it healed rather fast.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I wouldn't want one, but on some people they look really good.

17. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't pierced my ears but my cousin pierced his nose once and didn't take care of it right after and it got kind of infected and he had to let it close. So obviously do it if you want to, but do take care of it.

18. theMaverick

Thanks everyone!

19. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do not get them if you're not sure.
    As a fair warning they hurt but only for two seconds.
    Clean them three times a day, no less or you'll get an infection and as someone prone to infections it's not fun.
    If you do get a pair you like because they will be in six weeks minimum without changing. If your ears heal fast it may be six months. Just know they can't be ignored or you'll face the consequences. It just depends on how responsible you are.

20. Christopher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a slow healer and mine are only just now what I'd consider to be "fully healed" and its been two years.

I went to a high-end tattoo shop for them and they wanted to pierce me with the straight labret studs. I asked instead for CBR rings. Turned out, the rings have taken longer to heal because I am constantly irritating them with my hair. Combing out long hair after a shower hurts like hell when a strand or two catches an earring and pulls on it.

I want to get a second (or maybe even third) pair but I'll be getting plain labret studs for them!