1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay = Lame in modern slang

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zenya, May 7, 2014.

1. zenya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Project - Network Ten

I was watching the Project on TV and I saw a very quick discussion about sports star that in an argument in use the word gay for the word lame, do you thing he was be insulting to the gay community or was it just a slip in to modern slang and do you think the word gay should be a appropriate exchange for the word lame? :confused:

Personally I dislike this derivative

2. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The nature of man means that whatever name y'all choose for yourselves - or any minority for that matter, people will use it as a slur.

People have turned the scientific name of my race into an insult, yet I still use it when it is relevant.

3. NoaWinchester

Unfortunately nowadays the word 'gay' is used as an alternative for the words 'lame', 'stupid', 'weird' etc. in modern slang. I hear it being used to offend others on a regular basis when I'm in school or with many of my friends. Some use it as an offensive term because they think that being gay is bad, and some just have that stuck to them because of society's stamp of approval that it's okay to call someone gay when they are doing nothing that implies their sexuality - just because.
    This is very upsetting for me.

#3 NoaWinchester, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  4. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It all feels like trying to blow the cover of closeted gay people sometimes. But they sure as hell not gonna get me!

5. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I know what you mean. This is hugely upsetting to me.

6. FrenchKid98

When I'm in school I sometimes hear the word gay being used as a slur and I find it offensive that it is used to insult someone. At the same time I'm quite lucky because my school is an International School so people do respect each other more.
    I think more hurtful than the use of gay as a slur is when people call each other "faggot" just to offend each other or even sometimes as a joke. And I've even seem my most open friend (who I'm 99.999% sure is definitely not homophobic) joke by calling another friend a "faggot" not to insult him but just to laugh.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree with the attitude that gay = lame. It's incredibly immature. You can hear this nonsense from teenage boys desperate to prove their masculinity and/or heterosexuality. They can't even say they care about their friends without adding "no homo". I understand if someone is in the closet, in a country that thinks being gay is a mental disorder or something. They'll copy the behaviour to guard themselves, but they won't believe in it.

8. Emulator

I dislike it. I don't think it's right to offend others, or use a slang at others' expense for that matter, even if they have different beliefs.

9. RainbowVomiter

well using gay as an insult is heterosexist and using lame as an insult is ableist so i would advise using neither

unfortunately many of our insults are done by comparing someone to a marginalized group

10. finlandwrc

I don't think it's meant to insult gay people specifically more sort of to offend straight people but then I know nothing about slang I am the worlds least cool person :slight_smile:

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay means happy or homosexual. Lame means disabled or pathetic. I'm sure my friends don't envision a disabled person when they use lame to describe an inanimate object. The way I see it is... language is always changing and evolving. I wouldn't use the word lame to describe a disabled person. If they were to lower themselves to attacking weakpoints, I'll return in kind.

Well, some people say "I'm up one minute, down the next, wow, I'm so bipolar!" Also people on Tumblr, treating disorders as if they're fashion labels. Nowadays I can roll my eyes or correct them, but it used to seriously get under my skin. I wished they'd suffer it for one year, to learn a lesson. I usually don't care, unless they pretend to have a disorder.

12. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont like it when ppl use gay as an offensive term.
    If it was someone saying the n word, ppl would be all over their case (for very right reasons).

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gay really means happy in old English. Dp I don't know why they use it like that. I find it more confusing than insulting. :eek:

14. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea, i find it confusing. why call something gay(in their sense of terms, it's lame) when it really means something to be happy. i always insist on telling people to replace the word gay with something else. it sounds pretty immature and lessens your vocabulary list. i like to use cheesy in place of that term.

15. Camerooon

Well, (as others have said) 'gay' used to mean 'happy', and language evolves constantly.

It really doesn't bother me if someone says "that's gay" when they mean that something is stupid. However, it does bother me a little when 'gay' is used as an insult towards people. I don't think most people mean to insult gay people when they say something (or someone) is gay - it's just the way slang has evolved.