1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Lies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emulator, May 7, 2014.

1. Emulator

What is your opinion on white lies?

I think white lies are never entirely right nor wrong, and there is no definite answer to them.

2. Kinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think as long as nobody gets hurt its alright.Sometimes you have to lie to make someome feel better or spare their feelings

3. Emulator

That's true. But it comes with being completely honest to someone - if they wanted to hear the truth, or didn't like being lied to?

4. MagicPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I personally find that white lies are okay just so long as the person being lied to doesn't get hurt. I'm someone who really needs to get some rest after classes. When my friends ask me if I want to go out and get something to eat after class, I just say "Sorry, I have a lot of work to get done." It's not like I hate them or that I want to hurt them, I just need my alone time at the end of the day.

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll tell lies for the sake of protection or saving a lot of time. I think that lying to spare feelings... it only backfires in the end. I strongly prefer to tell people exactly how it is and what to do about it. I might lie by omission if they're suicidal or something.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Authenticity isn't binary, it is a practice. Virtually nobody is totally authentic 100% of the time. So some form of impression management, misdirection, lying by omission or commission happens, for most of us, on a daily basis.

Lying for convenience and self-protection, in most cases, isn't a good idea, nor, in general, is lying to spare feelings.

There are exceptions... for example, a close friend has worked hard on a new song, or painting, or dress, really likes it, and you don't particularly like it, so you might frame what you say in a positive way to support and encourage your friend. Those sorts of "white lies" are probably helpful.

But on the other hand, supporting your close friend that you're pretty sure has zero talent and can't carry a tune who wants to quit his or her job to pursue a music career... lying and telling him or her that she's an amazing and extraordinary performer isn't doing a service.

So I feel like there's no hard-and-fast answer here.