1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grammar

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kageshiro, May 7, 2014.

?

How many fucks do you give about Grammar?

1. All of them

31 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Alot

30 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Not Many

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. None

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Depends

26 vote(s)
    25.5%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I personally have a very limited amount of fucks to give. Probably somewhere between 3-5 individual fucks. So long as I can understand what you're saying, feel free to say or spell it how you please :] creative sentence structure that plays outside the rules is more interesting to look at anyway~

2. finlandwrc

Depends if it's on the internet then no anywhere else then yes

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I chose "A lot" because I'm learning english and I care a lot about my grammar because I don't want that people think I don't respect their language.

About italian... uhm I'd choose "Not many".

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Same here.
    Where I live you can say things "your way" and everybody understands you. Most of the time:grin:

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On students reports and such. Many are given. When I type? A bit.

When I talk outside of the classroom in a casual setting amongst friends? None. Negative even. I cuss like a sailor and use ain't and double negatives and more slang than all of the rest of EC combined. I am the local hip hop head and the colloquialisms and grammatical structures rub off on me.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends! My English is slightly influenced by dialects really, so I don't always care that much about grammar. And with some I say words like u and foreva, just for fun (but still!) About Spanish, I care much about grammar.. Same for other languages like German and Dutch, although I'm influenced by dialects.. I always am. :frowning2:

:grin:

7. Jethro702

I choose depends.... because it depends on the fucks I have to give at that particular time and the context of writing.... Most of the time its very few fucks, but for school-related things I have more fucks to spare.

8. timo

Most of the times I can't stand it when people type like idiots or are too lazy to form full sentences.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the internet? Some. It's cool as long as they put decent effort into it. If anyone feels a need to correct every tiny little thing about grammar on the internet... get a life. I'm more careful with professional business. I also cared very much in college. Anyway, I prefer to type similar to my speech patterns, merely excluding accent and a few things such as 'XD'.

10. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd love to see people have wonderful grammar, but it's not always the case. So, try not to be bothered by it. :slight_smile:

11. Harve

If someone's trying to be professional/writing newspaper articles then yeah, I'm gonna scrutinise them if I notice apostrophe misuse or whatever.

But for linguists, non-standard grammar isn't incorrect. Every native speaker of a language speaks it perfectly* even if they don't speak its most prestigious form. If someone says 'read them books' or 'I shouldn't of done that' then they're not actually making an error even if makes prescriptivists cringe, it's just different from the accepted standard.

*Native speakers can still make speech errors but these are simply someone saying something differently to how they actually intended.

tl;dr - it depends. Sorry for the lecture. x

12. BelleFromHell

13. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I do care about my grammar, but I'm not a grammar nazi. I just hate when people write me condescending messages and don't even bother to type the word "you."

How am I supposed to take this person seriously? Hitting the books? How about you take your own advice?

14. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    omg thats kinda me :icon_redf

15. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lots of them. But in general I learn the rules by experience, I've never maaged to learn grammar by reading a book.

16. Colours

I give many fucks about grammar, regardless of it being English or Dutch. Not only grammar but spelling as well. Grammar or spelling errors annoy me.

But it's not as bad as it used to be. I guess I got used to it that not everyone is as good at languages as I am or cares about it as much. (Not trying to sound cocky)

17. Hexagon

It depends. Some things make me cringe, other things don't. I am particularly moved to insanity by textspeak, misuse of their/they're/there, and meter-long paragraphs without punctuation.

18. Camerooon

I care about some aspects of grammar, but don't really care about others. For people whose first language isn't English, as long as I can understand what they are trying to say, that's completely fine. I learn Spanish and my grammar in that sucks sometimes - but it's not my native language so I hope it doesn't bother people who are Spanish.

19. NoaWinchester

In most cases, all of the fucks are given. My first language is Hebrew and much of the knowledge I have of English I've developed by myself. Languages are my favourite thing and I intend to be fluent in quite a few (I already am in Hebrew and English, obviously). Because of that, grammar is a very important matter to me. On twitter or if I'm messaging friends online and I'm lazy I'll use 'u' as you etc., but otherwise I'm very concerned about my grammar and spelling. I can't stand it even when I make the tiniest typo.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it's in an informal setting, not so much, though "text speak" will grate my nerves regardless, since it comes off as unnecessarily lazy and uneducated. If it's on the job or in school, I'll be more aware, especially of my own.