1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nottingham or Exeter

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cerith23, May 7, 2014.

1. Cerith23

So I have to decide which university in the UK out of these two to go to by midnight. I have an inkling of the one I prefer, but was looking to get some last minute info on the treatment of LGBT people in these cities, particularly LGBT in the universities themselves.

Can anyone help me out here?

Any extra info, especially if you have studied in either one of these places, would also be appreciated x

2. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure on the treatment of LGBT people, but I'd go with Exeter. :slight_smile:

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for the lateness of the post, I just saw the thread.

I can't really comment in depth (I'll admit my research into these places could've been far more detailed), but I'll contribute what I can :/ . Exeter has by far the greenest and I'd say most "introverted" kind of campus; the arboretum seems to me like a good place to escape or get some headspace. I've been to Nottingham campus as well through a friend, and that campus is also impressive, though somewhat less so than Exeter imo. In terms of crime, Exeter is bound to be much, much safer than Nottingham but you do trade that off a bit with stuff to do there. Having been round Exeter more than Nottingham I'd say Exeter seems to be a better-looking place, with a good historic quarter and some heritage, but very much smaller and with less happening.

Both are respected institutions, so I guess it mostly depends on what, location-wise, you value. LGBT scene? Safety? Cultural heritage? It being a "happening" place in terms of stuff to do? Variety/diversity? Geographical location? Cost of living? Jobs? Architecture? Exeter wins on some, Nottingham on others. It depends what kind of environment you want for uni and what you want to get out of it. For instance, I aim for a reasonably sized city so there is enough to do and to give me an educational experience about life in a city, but not so big I'd get lost in the place (I just responded to offers at 1am today :grin:)

It's probably not specific enough for you, sorry about that, but I don't really have many specifics on these, much less for what you're asking. That's my 2c, so hope it helps at least somewhat, if only to confirm your thinking.

Out of interest, what will you be studying at uni?

4. Cerith23

Thanks for the replies guys :slight_smile:

I will be studying ancient history and history at uni x

5. BornAnew

Ohh sorry for the late reply! I would've said Nottingham...I personally didn't find Exeter uni that good for LGBT stuff (granted I only got to experience 1 year of it as my course has us rotate places). Nottingham is better on that front from what I've seen.

But Exeter is a very good city nonetheless with friendly people and a gorgeous campus :slight_smile:

6. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ancient history sounds cool, history was my original subject of choice before I applied (though I'd probably have tended towards modern history had I taken it). Very diverse and eye-opening.

Ah well, all the best for getting there and the degree itself :slight_smile:

7. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nottingham! Although its a pity Manchester wasn't an option :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Harve

I've got a friend at each. I think the universities are quite similar to each other. Neither are in the centre of big cities, but I get the impression that Nottingham is less of a bubble - Nottingham's bigger.

You'll be happy wherever you go as long as you make the most of what's there!