1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to increase my gayness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by limepink, Aug 4, 2008.

1. limepink

Largest city in the second smallest state
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Basically I've been okay with being gay for a long time. I don't care too much if people know - I mean how else am I supposed to get a girlfriend?

I'm not quite sure how many people know I'm gay, it was my myspace status for most of the summer, but no one ever mentioned it, so maybe they aren't looking. I've told some random people. All of my friends know for sure, as well as my little sister. My parents don't know at the moment ...

Anyway I really would prefer that people, my parents especially, just figure it out. Because I think that some formal coming out conversation would make it seem like a big deal, which it really isn't. I mean I would never sit down with my parents to discuss my favorite color or something. And I don't really care how quickly they find out, because I don't really feel closeted or anything.

Every time I come out to anyone I get told how I don't look like a lesbian. Or something similar. And that annoys me. What do lesbians look like anyway ...

So anyone have any tips on how to subtly hint that I'm gay? I've come up with a few, leaving gay rights sites open, staging a conversation with a friend in front of my parents (okay these aren't too subtle ...)

2. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

It might not seem like much of a big deal to you but your parents might. You sound confident and i dont think that any amount of hint dropping will get tthe point across to your parents. They might be questioning it now but its probobly best to tell the in a more direct way. I'm sure other posts will follow but i liked this PDF http://www.pflag.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Daughters_Sons.pdf

3. Steam Giant

I agree with that. Additionally, some parents want to believe that their children are straight, and so will try to rationalize those hints they encounter. This leaves you with two choices: Either leave extremely blatant hints (which is borderline passive-agressive), or just simply tell them.

It's good that you know not to make it seem more important than it really is. So, if you do end up coming out to them (and I do think that you should), making it seem like too big a deal might influence how your parents react. So if you were to say, for instance, "well, you know I'm gay, right?" they'd react much better than if you said, "look...there's something I have to tell you about me...it's pretty important...you see...you may have noticed that I've been acting-" etc. etc. etc. That's to be avoided ^^

Of course, don't let me or anyone else put words in your mouth ^^ how you come out is totally up to you. But I definitely think, for your parents at least, you should sit down and tell them yourself. It's the only definite way to let them know.

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

put a human rights campaign bumper sticker on your car...or a triangle...I can usually spot gay friendly if not gay themselves who have these on their cars.

5. limepink

Out Status:
    All but family
    Both of my parents are active supporters of gay rights. They have plenty of gay friends - my godmother is lesbian and my godfather is gay (fitting, somehow). So I'm not nervous really about coming out ... mostly I just don't want to deal with it. One thing about my parents is that they don't believe you can be bisexual, in their opinion it's one way or another.

I think that it would be easier for me and my parents if when I told them it wasn't some huge shock, but more like "okay, you got around to it"

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started getting the message out there with rainbow jewellery, and occasional comments about girls (for example, when my family watched Mythbusters together, I'd comment on how pretty Kari is). My parents seemed to have it pretty much figured out by the time I told them, thanks to those hints.

7. silentsound

I'm a fan of the rainbow bracelet... but people are pretty thick so I would use that more as reinforcement than an actual way to impart information upon them. You could just try saying casually "she's so hot" or even mention that you have a crush or a girlfriend or a date and say a girl's name... or maybe you'll have to bite the bullet and just tell them? It doesn't have to be a big deal, but you don't want to leave them hurt because you weren't hiding it and you still didn't bother to let them know, but you know them better than any of us, so it's really your call. Good luck!

8. otc877

otc877 Guest

I suggest picking up the following occupations//hobbies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course, stay away from these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nobody should mistake you as straight again.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no reason to hint or suggest. Instead, try this tactic - act as if everybody already knows. Then you don't have to wonder about if they've figured it out yet. Assume they HAVE. And just go on about your life. If they haven't picked it up yet, they will pretty quick. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Tommy Price

Tommy Price Guest

Grow a mullet and wear Doc Martins :wink:

11. Cheese Love

Key Lesbian Indicators: (Stereotypical obviously)

1. As mentioned, the mullet
    2. Again, lumberjacks!
    3. Plaid
    4. Short hair and/or mullet
    5. Motorcyles
    6. Berkenstocks

Oh, and stop shaving your legs lol.

Is there any chance your parents may have guessed already? Instead of a serious coming out ordeal you can just casually mention it without making a fuss or anything. Maybe bring up the subject of your godmother and take it from there?

12. limepink

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for all the advice

I don't think my parents have any idea, actually. I'm a pretty flirty person, so they've seen me flirt with a lot of guys, and I haven't given them much of a reason to wonder.

I like the idea of just acting like everyone knows, I'll try that, and slipping in comments about girls I like might be a good way to come out ... and the rainbow bracelet sounds like a good idea too. I'll be getting myself one of them