1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting the parents...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GArchi1992, May 8, 2014.

1. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've been with my other half a while now, and we both thought it was about time that we met each others parents. We were thinking of keeping it quite informal and going to a more public setting so maybe a pub or a restaurant to do this. We feel it may be less awkward and will make everyone feel more relaxed. I don't know why I'm so nervous about this. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy that we've made it to this stage but I can't help but feel some sort of anxiety about it, despite knowing it'll all be fine!

Have you guys got any suggestions on how we can do this without the need for awkwardness and tension?

Cheers in advance :grin:

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How much do you know about his parents? I'm guessing they're not raging homophobes, even so, I'd like to have some idea what to expect. Be prepared and all that.

I think you have the right idea about meeting at a pub/restaurant. That's how we (my partner and I) met the parents.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^agree with the above, a public and setting...I would add maybe semi-private to allow conversations to not be overheard by just anyone.

4. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys, cheers for the suggestions. Linco I've heard quite a lot about his parents, from both him and his sister. He has also heard a lot about my parents from me and my sister also. So we're not going into it totally blind. We both have our expectations. They seem lovely from what I've heard and my parents are pretty easy to get along with so it should all be good :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the suggestions :slight_smile: