1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think the world is too PC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by chrisyboy, May 8, 2014.

1. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here in the UK I'm increasingly frustrated with the whole PC brigade thing that's ruining the country. I obviously think gay people should be allowed to get married (Strange if I didn't) but some of the nonsense we get today is just silly. The Jeremy Clarkson saga - something made out of absolutely nothing; he didn't even say the word, which incidently was the original in the rhyme - and now Halal meat scandal. Subway and Pizza hut are using it to appease those of a religious disposition. I'm sorry I love my meat, but I would prefer to know it was killed in a vaguely humane way; stunned & shot. I don't want to eat it when it suffered a horrible, painful, long death; slitting it's throat and allowing it to be bleed to death strung up by it's legs. Just so a small number of people don't complain. If you don't like; don't eat it, this might apply either way, but surely the humane way should be standard. Not to sound anti Islamic because one of my best friends is Muslin, but the burka is a dangerous thing (she only wears a head scarf) A bus driver isn't even allowed to question somebody wearing one; the person wearing it could be anybody; concealing anything. Reasonable? This sounds terrible I know; but this is Europe not Asia

I had loads in my head earlier...or am I being unreasonable.

#1 chrisyboy, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with quite a lot you said, actually. Probably not just you. :icon_bigg

I definitely agree about the meat part. I don't each much meat, but when I do, I just want the animals to be killed in a humane way, just like you said. :slight_smile:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well let's start with the subway and pizza hut thing.

First of all, last time I checked only a handful of places are actually doing that. Someone pointed out to me the other day that it's an economic, not a political decision. If you are in an area with a large quantity of people who can only eat certain things, you want to bring them in. Not to mention that the contamination factor from those foods is also important to some people. They can't eat food that might have been contaminated with food that wasn't prepared the right way, so they won't eat there.

Most people don't give a damn one way or the other, and frankly if you hadn't been told about it you probably wouldn't have questioned it either. If someone from subway had said "Well bacon doesn't sell well so we replaced it with turkey" you wouldn't question it as a business decision, because ultimately it is up to the franchise owner.

You cater to the people you want to bring in. If those stores want to be able to bring in Muslims to eat, they are more than welcome to. You aren't forced to eat there, and there are hundreds of other sandwich shops that aren't doing it.

As for the burka. That's debatable. It CAN be a dangerous thing but so can hooded tops, hats, scarves, baggy clothing, long coats, bags, steel toed shoes.

4. photoguy93

It's definitely a problem in the U.S., too.

It goes like this - Person A says "I hate Parmesan cheese."
    Two seconds later, the President of the National Anti-Hate Against Parmesan Group is calling for Person A to apologize, give up their life savings, and die a horrible death.

:slight_smile:

Although that above is a joke, it's becoming just a bit too close to the truth. I think that we need to find a way to nicely say things we want to say.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except in the quoted example, it's not like that at all. It's a community of people saying "We can't certain foods" and a handful of franchised business owners saying "Fair enough, we'll sell something else".

It's not like halal food has become the only permitted food prep method...

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The overwhelming majority animals slaughtered for Halal meat are pre-stunned - it's no different from ordinary meat, for the most part. It's another case of the media latching onto a story that they know will get the attention of the gullible public who will believe anything they read, without so much as a second thought.

I think people who are most upset about political correctness are those who want a free pass to make offensive comments under the guise of a joke.

#6 imnotreallysure, May 8, 2014
  7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also fursuits.

When I rob that bank, I'm wearing this:

[​IMG]

This way, I can pursue a dangerous life of crime and mayhem, and NOBODY will ever know it's me!

~

But no, I don't really think the world is too PC...there's so many crazy, backwards people here in the US that it's going to take ages for me to think it is. I mean, we don't even have gay marriage/rights in most states, and the religious right keeps finding ways to teach creationism in publically funded schools. So no, we have a long ways to go, here in Jesus-$-Oil-Power-Gluttony-Land. ®™

Then you have all those crazy anti-gay nations in Africa and the middle east, Putin's Russia, wars, abductions, children sold into slavery, starvation...the world still seems pretty barbaric, all in all.

8. AKTodd

Given that a lot of the people (at least in the US) who complain about 'too much political correctness' are often complaining because they've taken heat for saying nasty things about LGBT people I'm inclined to think folks need to be careful what they wish for.

Of course, another common occurrence is that people who are against 'political correctness' are really only against the part that limits what they can say about others. They are usually all for the part that limits what others might say about their own particular sacred cows...

Todd

9. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no such thing as 'political correctness'. It's a boring and meaningless term that has been coined by people who seem to think it constitutes an argument to something, without actually raising a valid point within the context of a discussion.

If we were to go around and ask people for an example of PC behaviour, we would get such a diverse range of examples that the umbrella of social change that often falls into this term would render the definition meaningless. For example, i've recently heard it being used quite commonly within the media for people objecting to halal meat being used at restaurants. Additionally, I also hear people using it as reasons for not being able to smack children within UK law (even though you can - you just can't beat the shit out of them), as well as people claiming it's because of PC behaviour that you can't call somebody a 'fag', or refer to an object as 'gay', or that you can't give the death penalty to child rapists.

This idea that there's a term that can somehow accommodate all those social examples in one convenient context is utterly ridiculous, and anybody who actually believes in political correctness is just downright lazy with their moral outrage. By all means, feel free to disagree with certain social changes, but it's insane to me that people think that simply labelling something as PC somehow constitutes a valid argument that sums up their objection. It doesn't. As a result, this laziness allows it to be thrown around willy-nilly, and the outcome of that is that we've created this convenient little term that can somehow be applied to the corporate decisions of fast-food menus just as easily as it can be applied to the law forbidding us murdering paedophiles. The two aren't even remotely comparable, so the fact that there's this term that so easily connects the two highlights just how redundant it is as a basic definition.

I don't particularly care what opinions or beliefs people have, but let's not pretend that political correctness actually constitutes an argument towards anything. It's an absense of argument, either due to ignorance or laziness (or a combination). There's far too many people who think their opinion is worth expressing but they lack a basic understanding of why they have that opinion, so they delude themselves into thinking that political correctness is an actual valid point they're making. Don't become like those type of people, because I suspect you're all a lot more intelligent than that. :slight_smile:

10. Aldrick

I agree with this 100%. It sums up everything that needs to be said.

11. confuseduser99

YES YES YES! Our Western societies have caved into political correctness. Halal is one example. We tolerate it because of the religious practice, but in reality, it's a gruesome way to slaughter an animal. Why aren't animal activists up in arms over this? There are so many things I want to say, but I don't have time to type them all. In short, the West is WAY too PC!

12. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    :eusa_clap This is so well said. I feel like I should copy it into my clipboard for easy access on facebook.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was labelled as PC a few years ago for 'banning' a Christmas Tree. In actual fact I didn't ban a Christmas Tree at all, I just said that we needed to pay the same respect to the festivals of colleagues of different faiths and it needed a bit more consideration before we put it up. It got very out of hand and needed to be escalated.

For me this is a personal example of how things get taken out of context and blown up in this silly PC debate. What we often call PC is really about is showing consideration to other groups of people. What's so wrong with that?

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd agree. It's about being polite, and approaching things in a manner so as not to be needlessly inflammatory, and to diffuse tensions.

It seems ironic that people see it as something so negative.

15. confuseduser99

Nothing is wrong with showing consideration for others, but sadly, a lot of the "others" can be militant. Many atheists for example want Christmas trees to be taken down, or to be called "Holiday Trees". The last time I checked, we celebrate "Christmas, not "Holiday". Everyone is entitled to celebrate whatever they would like, but why take away the joy of Christmas for example, and bring nothing but misery to the majority of people?

Feel free to celebrate Chanukah for example, and put up a Menorah, but don't force me to take down my Christmas tree, or call it a "Holiday Tree". If it's a "Holiday tree", then I guess the Menorah should be called a "candle holder".

16. Harve

God I love your posts.

The OP's rant was bizarre. I only really know the Halal story: EU regulations say that Halal meat in the UK is stunned before slaughter, so for the beast I'm not sure what the difference is. I come from a farming family, and if you're so concerned with animal welfare then you should really be thinking about the quality of animals' day-to-day lives rather than their final moments (especially when they're not aware of their death!): I guarantee you that Subway meat is factory farmed, whether you go to a Halal branch or a non-Halal branch.
    P.S. Subway made this decision in 2007, it was only a few days ago that a certain tabloid decided to kick up a fuss about it.

---------- Post added 8th May 2014 at 08:13 PM ----------

Do they though? Do they really?

#16 Harve, May 8, 2014
  17. newfish

I agree that it's not like that, but can we just talk about how Oprah was once sued for saying she'd stopped eating hamburger? That's not really political correctness, though, that's just huge corporations.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Really? Somehow, I don't think at any time in the near future the 'politically correct' are going to burst in, and take away your Christmas tree.

You have more to fear from the Grinch, in all actuality. He's a known tree thief.

[​IMG]

#18 HuskyPup, May 8, 2014
  19. LiquidSwords

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not once in my entire life have I ever heard an atheist say they want christmas trees taken down or to have their name changed.

I've heard them talk about how christmas trees aren't remotely christian. I've heard them saying they aren't keen on having manger seens in public places, but never have I heard someone say they want christmas trees banned or renamed.